• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

MinnieWaffles

Bell Services is for luggage, it is not designed to store 100 families's worth of grocery shopping. Keeping it in a refrigerated store room is a service. Having them deliver a 50-pack of water bottles, 5 gallons of milk, enough goldfish crackers & granola bars to shake a stick at and 3 weeks worth of nappies is ridiculous. If anything it proves how entitled guests are getting. You would pay to have that amount of stuff delivered to your home, so why can't Disney charge? I know what some of you will say, but sorry, it is ridiculous and entitled to not only expect CMs to hand deliver your groceries for free, but then shaft them a tip- it's not their fault.

Delivering suitcases is what Bell Services is designed for. But now, just like with the fridge swaps many years back they're expected to do more and more, and worse, people think just because you pay a high price for Disney rooms, CMs should be there to do your bidding. Rant over.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Advertisement
It’s a necessity caused by the dining plan.
The 'free' dining plan isn't offered all year round, is it?

Still the room package that includes 'free' dining is incorporating the price of meals into the package and people are choosing to dine at Disney venues over buying groceries. Also, a lot of the credits are for QS and snacks, no?

And isn't only the upcharge deluxe dining plan that has you in a TS restaurant 3 times a day? (I think, I don't do dining plan.)

Then there are those who buy a dining package separately, which isn't a bargain unless you scrupulously chose the most expensive menu items each time you eat. So, these are people who are just paying for their table service in advance. But they do intend to eat as TSs.

So, it isn't so much that the dining plans are forcing more people into TS restaurants. I think the anti-DDP backlash was for the free dining plan crowding the signature restaurants that are just one credit. But now, aren't most if not all signatures two credits?

mm121

Bell Services is for luggage, it is not designed to store 100 families's worth of grocery shopping. Keeping it in a refrigerated store room is a service. Having them deliver a 50-pack of water bottles, 5 gallons of milk, enough goldfish crackers & granola bars to shake a stick at and 3 weeks worth of nappies is ridiculous. If anything it proves how entitled guests are getting. You would pay to have that amount of stuff delivered to your home, so why can't Disney charge? I know what some of you will say, but sorry, it is ridiculous and entitled to not only expect CMs to hand deliver your groceries for free, but then shaft them a tip- it's not their fault.

Delivering suitcases is what Bell Services is designed for. But now, just like with the fridge swaps many years back they're expected to do more and more, and worse, people think just because you pay a high price for Disney rooms, CMs should be there to do your bidding. Rant over.
Plus the guest expectations that cold things stay cold.

I'm not sure why people don't just schedule their Shipt Instacart windows for when they plan to be available.

Fridge Swaps?

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
Yeah, this move makes me unhappy as well. It's the same feeling I got when I found out about the $5 package handling fee for receiving a package from, say Fedex or UPS. It won't break my bank, but somehow it bothers me.

OTOH, I'm pretty happy about how Bell Services will hold the items for you and refrigerate/freeze the perishable items. Do they really separate out your ice cream and keep it in the freezer for you until you come pick it up? And this aspect is still free, right?

I'd guess that they instituted the fee because it was impacting their bell desk staffing requirements as the popularity of these services increased. So they had a choice of: 1. eating the extra cost and incorporating it into possible higher room rates, though this is an inaccurate way of portraying how this would work 2. adding a resort fee 3. charging for the service

I'm not entirely sure why people are bringing up the quality or price of in-resort or in-park food. It seems to me that Disney accommodates people's desire to prepare and eat in the rooms with their family suites and practically all of DVC for that matter. Are there that many people ordering groceries other than those staying in the rooms Disney has created with kitchens? It seems to me that Disney is actually happy to have people buy groceries otherwise why build rooms with kitchens for guests?
Not every room has a kitchen. Remember, you are specifically talking DVCs.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster

That must be a pretty big family to order 5 gallons of milk for a one week stay.

Lensman

Premium Member
Another aspect of room delivery that I think is a very WDW problem is that some of the Disney resorts are sprawling and also some like CBR, OKW, and some POR buildings don't have elevators. Not an excuse, I just want to note that room delivery of groceries can be more labor intensive in such situations. Also with luggage, they could make multiple stops on one run but I'm not sure they do this with groceries due to the perishable nature of groceries. Or do they do the room deliveries with some special refrigerated truck?

Like I said, the fee does bother me for the same reasons that the $5 package delivery bothers me. The package delivery fee bothers me more, though. I feel like they're charging me more for delivery from the front desk to my room than most places charge for delivery from New Jersey to Florida.

I am surprised and pleased that they don't charge for refrigerated storage, though. Say, have people had good experiences with delivery of ice cream?

Lensman

Premium Member
Not every room has a kitchen. Remember, you are specifically talking DVCs.
I know. So do a lot of people have groceries delivered when they don't have a kitchen?

I only mention this because we only go grocery shopping when we have a full kitchen in a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. We don't buy groceries when we stay in a studio.

And actually, it doesn't really matter either way. You ignored my main point, which is that it seems to me that Disney built and is still building lots of rooms with kitchens, so I'm not sure how that jives with the narrative that they have a secret evil plan to discourage guests from buying groceries. Besides, I don't think the $6 charge will stop anyone from having groceries delivered, and it's still free to pick them up from bell services yourself - though that may be inconvenient if you are in a far building of CBR and don't have a car.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
I know. So do a lot of people have groceries delivered when they don't have a kitchen?

I only mention this because we only go grocery shopping when we have a full kitchen in a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. We don't buy groceries when we stay in a studio.

And actually, it doesn't really matter either way. You ignored my main point, which is that it seems to me that Disney built and is still building lots of rooms with kitchens, so I'm not sure how that jives with the narrative that they have a secret evil plan to discourage guests from buying groceries. Besides, I don't think the $6 charge will stop anyone from having groceries delivered, and it's still free to pick them up from bell services yourself - though that may be inconvenient if you are in a far building of CBR and don't have a car.
They are building rooms with kitchens in the DVC hotels. Regular hotels (Value, Moderate, etc.) do not have kitchens. They don't even have microwaves. DVC club members are already paying a ton of money for their time share. Disney doesn't need them to buy food in the parks because they already have their money.

Disney is all about profits. They have to appease their shareholders. It would not be surprising if they were trying to dissuade people a little into not buying groceries to put in their rooms. They can't stop that altogether because that would make their motive too transparent, but believe me...if they had their choice they would rather have people spend $3.00 for their bottle of water than $.30 per bottle on their own. Disney would rather you spend $20 on a counter service meal than bring in sandwiches for free.

If it's not about money simply ask yourself why most other counter service restaurants in the country offer your free refills at the beverage station, but Disney only allows 2 fills of your cup courtesy the RFID chip at the bottom of your paper cup at their hotel, counter service restaurants? Soda is cheap, but Disney even limits that to guests....unless you spend $24 for a refillable mug, and you will have to drink a ton of soda to equal the cost of your refillable mug.

Let's not fool ourselves and think for a second that Disney is not all about profit. Once again....shareholders.

larryz

Can't 'Member Anything
Premium Member
Fridge Swaps?
Back when WDW charged $10 a day for having a dorm-sized fridge in your room, groups of people would connect online; one person would buy a fridge at Wally-World and use it in the room, then sell it to the next person, who would have it stored at bell services and pick it up when they got there. And so on, and so on...

Captain Barbossa

I actually don't have a problem with this. People are lazy. If you don't want to pay a fee for someone to deliver something to your room than walk over and pick it up yourself. If I understood the article that @wdwmagic posted correctly, package delivery from the parks to the resort gift shop is still free, yes?

Lensman

Premium Member
They don't even have microwaves.
I thought the family suites had microwaves?

So you're saying that even though a bottle of water from Disney is $3 and a 24 bottle case of them would cost $72 from Disney or $12 from Garden Grocer, that Disney thinks that a mere $6 room delivery charge would dissuade people from ordering through Garden Grocer? And even though Disney would still hold and refrigerate your perishables for free if you come pick them up, people are going to buy water in the parks instead of going out to the front desk to pick up their groceries themselves?

I agree that TWDC has become much more short-term profit seeking over the years, but I'm not sure that there's an evil plot behind this move. As I stated, I think it's more likely that it was starting to take a significant amount of bell services time delivering these (especially at OKW, CBR, and POR, but also all of the spread out resorts), and Disney wants the incremental revenue to make up for it so their margins aren't affected by the increase in bell staff due to the growing popularity of grocery delivery.

Patcheslee

Does this now include things from Disney Floral? Ordered a gift basket a week ago to be delivered in June.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
I thought the family suites had microwaves?

So you're saying that even though a bottle of water from Disney is $3 and a 24 bottle case of them would cost $72 from Disney or $12 from Garden Grocer, that Disney thinks that a mere $6 room delivery charge would dissuade people from ordering through Garden Grocer? And even though Disney would still hold and refrigerate your perishables for free if you come pick them up, people are going to buy water in the parks instead of going out to the front desk to pick up their groceries themselves?

I agree that TWDC has become much more short-term profit seeking over the years, but I'm not sure that there's an evil plot behind this move. As I stated, I think it's more likely that it was starting to take a significant amount of bell services time delivering these (especially at OKW, CBR, and POR, but also all of the spread out resorts), and Disney wants the incremental revenue to make up for it so their margins aren't affected by the increase in bell staff due to the growing popularity of grocery delivery.
You are going ad absurdum in your argument. You are implying that the mere complaint that Disney is now charging $6.00 for food deliveries to your hotel rooms is people complaining that Disney is concocting some "evil plot".

That is not the case, but I guess that helps you with your narrative so...

But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Disney would much rather have people pay for their food in the parks and in the hotels in the long run.

And once again...I am talking REGULAR hotel rooms not DVC rooms, or highly priced suites. And since I never stayed in a suite I have no idea what they contain. They are too expensive and not worth it.

Lensman

Premium Member
You are going ad absurdum in your argument. You are implying that the mere complaint that Disney is now charging $6.00 for food deliveries to your hotel rooms is people complaining that Disney is concocting some "evil plot".
Let me try to explain since you don't think I've made myself clear. I'm not implying that at all. I myself have complained about the $6 charge. I just don't buy that they did it because they want to discourage grocery delivery.

The "evil plot" as I sarcastically call it, is the idea that Disney instituted this policy to discourage guests from ordering grocery delivery instead of paying inflated prices for meals in the park or at resort restaurants. Here is an example of a post defending that hypothesis.
The people buying food don't always pay full price. Disney uses pre-paid credits, package and passholder discounts to encourage people to eat on site and demand for table service dining is certainly not equally spread across property.

And the bulk of park guests are not eating at table service restaurants. They're the ones in line for places like Pecos Bill and one of the most common criticisms of Disney, from even the most casual of visitors, is that the cost of food is too high. It's why so many guests opt to get groceries and why this policy is now in place. This new fee does nothing to address that concern, and is simply a short term fix to a problem Disney themselves created.
NOTE to @Animaniac93-98: Your post is here as an example. My post here is not a reply to it! I'm just using your post as an example of someone who has a theory that Disney instituted the $6 charge to discourage people from buying groceries.

I don't think that Disney instituted the odious $6 fee because they think it will reduce the number of people who order groceries. I think they added the odious fee to preserve margins because bell services is spending more and more time doing grocery delivery. (Bell services must have been "overworked" in the first place given how long it takes them to deliver luggage to your room. Lol)

Do you think that I am absurd in thinking that some people on this thread subscribe to the theory that Disney instituted this new fee because they want to discourage people from ordering groceries? It seems obvious to me that some people have this theory. In fact, I think you, @Mr Incredible, subscribe to this theory.

BTW, why did you think it was important to argue about what percentage of rooms have kitchens or a microwave?

janoimagine

I know the bellhops did not have a say, but Disney needs to think about this decision because that is what many people are going to say, "I'm being charged for this so why bother tipping." They won't care that bellhops are not seeing that $6.00. They are thinking too themselves...that's what we're paying for.
Then those people are cheap and inconsiderate. I could personally care less about a $6.00 delivery and its minimal when you compare it to the price of the vacation to begin with. People who pay $8.00 for a lousy flat budwieser, $5.50 for a smart water or $7.00 for a mickey shaped pretzel in the parks, but complain about a $6.00 fee like this are laughable. I have prime so we order a couple times from Whole Foods per trip and I have no issues tipping bell services every time they bring the order. I bring extra cash on vacations for exactly this, tipping starts at the airport with curbside check-in and goes right thru to the end.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Let me try to explain since you don't think I've made myself clear. I'm not implying that at all. I myself have complained about the $6 charge. I just don't buy that they did it because they want to discourage grocery delivery.

The "evil plot" as I sarcastically call it, is the idea that Disney instituted this policy to discourage guests from ordering grocery delivery instead of paying inflated prices for meals in the park or at resort restaurants. Here is an example of a post defending that hypothesis.

NOTE to @Animaniac93-98: Your post is here as an example. My post here is not a reply to it! I'm just using your post as an example of someone who has a theory that Disney instituted the $6 charge to discourage people from buying groceries.

I don't think that Disney instituted the odious $6 fee because they think it will reduce the number of people who order groceries. I think they added the odious fee to preserve margins because bell services is spending more and more time doing grocery delivery. (Bell services must have been "overworked" in the first place given how long it takes them to deliver luggage to your room. Lol)
Minor point... Bell services aren't the ones who deliver luggage (for the most part). The Magical Express luggage delivery is done by a third party. Disney's bellmen are significantly UNDER utilized relative to normal hotels for that very reason.

Then those people are cheap and inconsiderate. I could personally care less about a $6.00 delivery and its minimal when you compare it to the price of the vacation to begin with. People who pay $8.00 for a lousy flat budwieser, $5.50 for a smart water or $7.00 for a mickey shaped pretzel in the parks, but complain about a $6.00 fee like this are laughable. I have prime so we order a couple times from Whole Foods per trip and I have no issues tipping bell services every time they bring the order. I bring extra cash on vacations for exactly this, tipping starts at the airport with curbside check-in and goes right thru to the end.
That's a wonderful sentiment but you can't base decisions on how people SHOULD behave, you have to make decisions on how people ACTUALLY behave.

Top Bottom