• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

flynnibus

Can they really ban deliveries or would such a ban just mean that you have to meet the delivery person in the lobby and either pick up your groceries there or walk with the delivery person up to your room?
It's private property - they can deny them access if they chose to.

Disney did a similar 'featured vendors only' model for scooter rentals where only blessed vendors get to leave stuff. Tho I don't think they banned them from doing arranged drop-offs.

Kingoglow

Advertisement
Can they really ban deliveries or would such a ban just mean that you have to meet the delivery person in the lobby and either pick up your groceries there or walk with the delivery person up to your room?

Or would a ban, when combined with the increased popularity of such services, just lead to people booking away to friendlier offsite resorts? I wonder what percentage of offsite resorts allow grocery delivery?

Or would enough people just decide to do their own shopping and rent a car or "break the ice" and start using rideshare, thus "de-bubbling" them.

Though if the Disney-approved service was priced reasonably, I suspect that the above concerns wouldn't be a problem.
There is a gate at each resort. They can very easily turn deliveries away.

As we all know, Disney has enough demand that they can easily replace guests that choose to stay offsite. Hell, if you people all the talk on this board, you would think that all of us stay offsite already. So who is filling those rooms?

And as far as the debubbleing of guests, most of the uproar in this thread has been over a simple $6.00 increase in fee when guests have something delivered to their room. The prevailing POV was that no one wanted to pay the fee NOR DO THEY WANT to goto the front desk (they said that it is very hard to carry all of their groceries back to their room). If people wont walk to the front desk and back, I very much doubt that they can be bother to travel offsite.

1. Ban grocery deliveries.
  2. Build a product for DVC owners to order unprepared food through the DVC portal so they can use their kitchens.
  3. Make everyone else eat Disney food at Disney restaurants.

PeoplemoverTTA

It's private property - they can deny them access if they chose to.

Disney did a similar 'featured vendors only' model for scooter rentals where only blessed vendors get to leave stuff. Tho I don't think they banned them from doing arranged drop-offs.
I can understand why it may come to this, but it would be frustrating for our family. My husband has heart disease (diagnosed at 41) and we eat a pretty strict whole food, plant based diet. Although we CAN get that in the parks (with a major amount of advance planning, including speaking to chefs at table service and QSRs, and scheduling every single meal), it is unfeasible with our travel patterns (particularly now with a toddler, and it was already a challenge before she was born) to do this for every day and meal of our trip.

I'm not sure how we would react to a decision like this, if preferred vendors didn't have what we needed. We like being able to easily get back to our resort midday with our daughter, and enjoy Disney theming. But there are just so many other things right now that are providing less ROI on a "fully WDW" vacation for us that we may try the Four Seasons or another luxury resort over another on-site hotel. And most certainly, the length of our average WDW trip will be decreasing from 7- to 9-days, down to 4 or possibly 5.

zombiebbq

This is not a service you already paid for. This is not bell services. This is taking advantage.
So what exactly are the outrageous hotel prices going to? For that amount of money, it really should be included in my opinion. At other hotels for that cost it would be, I've seen the services offered at that price point elsewhere and it's above and beyond what's being argued here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can understand why it may come to this, but it would be frustrating for our family. My husband has heart disease (diagnosed at 41) and we eat a pretty strict whole food, plant based diet. Although we CAN get that in the parks (with a major amount of advance planning, including speaking to chefs at table service and QSRs, and scheduling every single meal), it is unfeasible with our travel patterns (particularly now with a toddler, and it was already a challenge before she was born) to do this for every day and meal of our trip.

I'm not sure how we would react to a decision like this, if preferred vendors didn't have what we needed. We like being able to easily get back to our resort midday with our daughter, and enjoy Disney theming. But there are just so many other things right now that are providing less ROI on a "fully WDW" vacation for us that we may try the Four Seasons or another luxury resort over another on-site hotel. And most certainly, the length of our average WDW trip will be decreasing from 7- to 9-days, down to 4 or possibly 5.
What is the Four Seasons policy on grocery deliveries to the resort? Do they keep cold bags cold for you?
So what exactly are the outrageous hotel prices going to? For that amount of money, it really should be included in my opinion. At other hotels for that cost it would be, I've seen the services offered at that price point elsewhere and it's above and beyond what's being argued here.
What similarly priced hotels accept grocery deliveries, keep your stuff cold or frozen and then deliver it to your room? Not doubting that others do it too, but I’ve personally never used that kind of service outside of WDW. Is it a common service offered?

Jenny72

I'm not up in arms about the charge, but it doesn't really make sense to compare this to a "regular" luxury hotel. For one thing, most luxury hotels are in major cities as opposed to swamps, so there's no "Four Seasons bubble." Also, I doubt the Four Seasons is offering a lot of full kitchens in its suites so that the hotel guests can cook macaroni and cheese. And it's not a half-mile walk to your room at the Four Seasons so that the only realistic way to get heavy groceries there is with a cart.

So....like I said, I'm not arguing that it's crazy to have the charge, but you have to admit that the circumstances are different. In a lot of ways, Disney is encouraging the ordering of groceries with the DVC properties. This summer is the first time I'm not renting a car, and exactly for that reason, it's also the first time I'm ordering groceries instead of going to get them myself. I thought I was kind of doing what they wanted for the first time (haha), so the fee is just a teeny, tiny bit annoying.

Thebolt

Why not make it completely fair, and start charging $6 for arrival and departure days, when those pesky guests want suitcases moving around if this is designed to cover labor costs?
The current arrangement means I am paying that $6 in a hidden fee every day, even if I don't use Bell Services each day.

The nickel and diming of fees for small services just leaves a bad taste. I've never had goods delivered like this, but taxing anything and everything just leaves guests feeling like walking wallets rather than valued customers that Disney are trying to provide unique experiences and escapism for.

jaklgreen

You are bending over backwards to defend a move that reeks of petty cheapness. It hurts guests and CMs. Who exactly does this benefit I wonder?
But you don't know where that money is going to. I would hope that they are taking it and expanding their storage/refrigeration room. If this is the new trend to have stuff delivered, they are going to need more space and more people. They are choosing to supplement that with a fee instead of just charging everyone higher costs.

jaklgreen

I gotta admit, I'm way out if the loop at this point. I stay at dozens upon dozens of hotels a year, and I've never heard of charging for packages. Then again, I pick them up at the desk if needed as well.

My two cents on this. First, the idea of "it's just $6" is a horrible attitude. Since my last trip, you have 3 ticket increases, room increases, and parking fees. Sure, $6 doesnt seem like much. But added to all the other new expenses, it adds up.

That said, this doesnt really set me off. Yes, it's another example of Disney taking what was a premium service away from guests (have we gotten the "due to customer demand" line yet?), and if it was for any delivery, I'd be mad. But the fact you can still pick your stuff up at the front desk for free (for now) at least tempers my outrage on it.

In the end, it's just more reason to head off site. And the statement of "other do it too" is just another painful reminder of how Disney used to value being better than all the others.
If Disney started charging you to deliver stuff that you bought from them, that would be greedy. But why should Disney put in the labor and time to deliver something that they did not even make any money on? Taking people and their luggage to the room is standard and is rolled into the price of the room. But using bell service as a free grocery delivery service is above and beyond normal duties. They seem to be very busy most times and we usually have to wait a while for one to become available to help us to our room. If this fee helps them hire more, then I am all for it.

jaklgreen

You would always have the option of renting a car and going to the grocery store yourself. They are not going to look through your bags as you walk to your room. It is just using their labor that they are charging for.

PeoplemoverTTA

What is the Four Seasons policy on grocery deliveries to the resort? Do they keep cold bags cold for you?

What similarly priced hotels accept grocery deliveries, keep your stuff cold or frozen and then deliver it to your room? Not doubting that others do it too, but I’ve personally never used that kind of service outside of WDW. Is it a common service offered?
I’m not sure on the Four Seasons. I’m only speaking hypothetically if Disney were to prohibit deliveries. We’ve been getting to the point of trying “off-site” anyway, but a $6 won’t be the tipping point.

I assume, though, that particularly when there are medical needs, a truly exceptional resort like Four Seasons will do its best to accommodate you.

PeoplemoverTTA

You would always have the option of renting a car and going to the grocery store yourself. They are not going to look through your bags as you walk to your room. It is just using their labor that they are charging for.
That’s fair (Sorry for not using multi-quote - I didn’t see the other post since I am on my phone). When I’m on vacation, though, I don’t like to drive. I’m also not sure with a toddler I’d be able to meet a driver there. It’s not something I’m “worried” about; however, if they were prohibited, as I said, it would just be one more degradation of the “Disney Difference” when it comes to resorts for us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not sure on the Four Seasons. I’m only speaking hypothetically if Disney were to prohibit deliveries. We’ve been getting to the point of trying “off-site” anyway, but a $6 won’t be the tipping point.

I assume, though, that particularly when there are medical needs, a truly exceptional resort like Four Seasons will do its best to accommodate you.
Just my opinion, but I don’t see Disney banning grocery deliveries any time soon. They almost encourage it for DVC by offering full kitchens, the magic express bus service and very limited in house grocery delivery. How else can guests without a car get groceries for that kitchen? They definitely don’t want you renting a car. The magic express is designed to keep you inside the bubble.

For Four Seasons (and other area resorts) I am just curious what the policy actually is. I would assume very few if any chain hotels ban grocery deliveries outright. I have heard of urban hotels not allowing delivery directly to rooms in order to keep strangers out of the hallways for security purposes, but even those places would have no issue with you picking up groceries from a delivery service in the lobby. I think the widespread acceptance and storage of groceries by the hotel staff is probably pretty unique to WDW.

UncleMike101

Surely people weren’t paying a 40-60% premium over comparable resorts because they delivered groceries to your room for free, right?
People were paying the 40-60% premium over off site rates because, until the recent money grab by Disney Management, the onsite resorts had amenities that people believed were worth the premium such as free parking, free delivery of groceries, bus service to and from the parks, and the 60 day FP window.
With the new fees/money grabs and the extending of the FP 60 day perks to offsite properties Disney has effectively lost their premium status.
The bus service to and from the parks isn't worth the fee to park our cars since I still get free parking at the parks with an AP. (So far)
And I'm betting that the "Resort Fee" will be the next money grab.
We've stayed on property since the 1980's but were not going to continue to pay premium prices for Motel 6 amenities.
So..............
Our next visit will be to an offsite hotel........

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People were paying the 40-60% premium over off site rates because, until the recent money grab by Disney Management, the onsite resorts had amenities that people believed were worth the premium such as free parking, free delivery of groceries, bus service to and from the parks, and the 60 day FP window.
With the new fees/money grabs and the extending of the FP 60 day perks to offsite properties Disney has effectively lost their premium status.
The bus service to and from the parks isn't worth the fee to park our cars since I still get free parking at the parks with an AP. (So far)
And I'm betting that the "Resort Fee" will be the next money grab.
We've stayed on property since the 1980's but were not going to continue to pay premium prices for Motel 6 amenities.
So..............
Our next visit will be to an offsite hotel........
So you used the free grocery delivery service regularly?

UncleMike101

So you used the free grocery delivery service regularly?
We've had groceries delivered during our last three visits.
The only thing that cost us extra were the tips to the delivery people.
Which we gladly paid to them for their service.
I don't like the fact that $5.00 of the new delivery fee goes in Disney's coffers toward Managements "Performance Bonus".

Top Bottom