• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

peter11435

The people buying food don't always pay full price. Disney uses pre-paid credits, package and passholder discounts to encourage people to eat on site and demand for table service dining is certainly not equally spread across property.

And the bulk of park guests are not eating at table service restaurants. They're the ones in line for places like Pecos Bill and one of the most common criticisms of Disney, from even the most casual of visitors, is that the cost of food is too high. It's why so many guests opt to get groceries and why this policy is now in place. This new fee does nothing to address that concern, and is simply a short term fix to a problem Disney themselves created.
Disney is making plenty of money off of food and beverage sales. If there was a problem they would be rethinking their pricing strategies. There is not a problem. As it stands the resorts and parks barely have the dining capacity to keep up with demand.

Epcot is the third (soon to be fourth?) most visited WDW park. It has 17 table service restaurants with three more on the way, 11 quick service locations, and countless windows/carts around the park. And yet they still find ways to ever increasingly fill the park with more venues to sell food and beverage at even higher price points as part of festivals. Yet somehow all those locations remain economically viable. Disney (and it’s participants) have no trouble selling overpriced food and beverage.

People have been bringing groceries to their WDW vacations for decades. When I visited with my family in the 80’s each trip included a stop at the grocery store or a prepacked suitcase of snacks, quick breakfast items, and beverages to have available in our room. This is nothing new. This is not because of the ever increasing food prices. This is because new services and technology have made the ordering easier than ever and those who are ordering are lazier than ever. If you want someone to brink your case of water all the way to your room you should expect to pay for that service.

larryz

Can't 'Member Anything
Premium Member
Advertisement
If your getting a big grocery delivery from a service like Instacart or Shipt paying g this fee would probably be worth it since they don't let you just "borrow" luggage carts.
Well, since you can't take your M1 Abrams combat stroller wagon into the park any more, you can always use it to move your groceries from the parking lot up to your room...

phillip9698

The people buying food don't always pay full price. Disney uses pre-paid credits, package and passholder discounts to encourage people to eat on site and demand for table service dining is certainly not equally spread across property.

And the bulk of park guests are not eating at table service restaurants. They're the ones in line for places like Pecos Bill and one of the most common criticisms of Disney, from even the most casual of visitors, is that the cost of food is too high. It's why so many guests opt to get groceries and why this policy is now in place. This new fee does nothing to address that concern, and is simply a short term fix to a problem Disney themselves created.
This isnt a problem exclusive to Disney, I might even say it's not even a problem. Go on vacation anywhere and you will see families buying groceries and preparing meals in the rooms instead of eating out. We take a trip to the Florida panhandle every year and I'd say a good 75% of the families in condos are buying groceries and preparing breakfast and lunch at the minimum in the rooms. It's the same thing in Gatlinburg. There are plenty of affordable restaurants but at the end of the day none of them can beat milk, cereal, bread, and meat for a week of breakfast and lunch.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is because new services and technology have made the ordering easier than ever and those who are ordering are lazier than ever. If you want someone to brink your case of water all the way to your room you should expect to pay for that service. If you don’t want to pay for that, then get off your butt and get it yourself.
This is honestly laughable. Bell Services are part of your room rate. They are there to serve you. It’s literally the only reason they exist. What is the difference between delivering luggage and delivering groceries? Give me a break.

Edit to add...

I’ve never had groceries delivered and don’t think I ever will. Watching people rush to defend a blatant greedy move by Disney which negatively effects guests and CMs just ticks me off.

tirian

Well, there are lots of reasons why people would choose to have food delivered that has very little to do with the price of the food:
  • Allergies. Regardless of Disney's reputation for handling allergies well, some people will choose to bring their own food.
  • They're only buying things like baby food and formula.
  • This is how they've always done vacations, so why change now?
  • They want stuff not found on property. Fresh raspberries, skyr yogurt, Cap'n Crunch, etc., etc.
  • They are on some sort of diet. Paleo or doctor-prescribed or raw or other.
  • Sheer curiosity at some American foods.
Also, bottled drinks are about $4.50 and even bananas are $2.50/each. Multiply that for a five-day vacation for a family of four. It’s obscene.

Has anyone else noticed we’ve spent the majority of the last year discussing insane price increases, new upcharges,and penny-pinching operational moves — along with the new construction? The price gouging isn’t simply paying for new attractions.

P&R is the now most profitable branch of the company, and Iger and Chapek need their bonuses! Milk the cash cow, farmer Mickey.

tirian

The table service resorts resort wide are packed. Try and get a reservation 1 week before for anything resembling a normal dining hour.
Sometimes reservations are full, but that doesn't mean the restaurant is actually full. As sometimes they only fill a certain number of tables instead of a full restaurant in an effort to limit needed employee hours.
^^ That. Some restaurants are legitimately crowded. Many aren’t, but the advanced dining ressies help control staffing costs.

mm121

This is honestly laughable. Bell Services are part of your room rate. They are there to serve you. It’s literally the only reason they exist. What is the difference between delivering luggage and delivering groceries? Give me a break.

Edit to add...

I’ve never had groceries delivered and don’t think I ever will. Watching people rush to defend a blatant greedy move by Disney which negatively effects guests and CMs just ticks me off.
I'd agree with that.

There should maybe be some difference between deluxe and value when it comes to these kinds of things.

For the rates deluxe charges room deliveries shouldn't be an issue.

The only reason I'd say it may be ok to charge at the values is that the resorts are larger and each individual delivery takes longer. Though for food deliveries maybe they should get each value a segways or something that would make the small deliveries alot quicker.

Mr Ferret 88

instagram mrferret888
Premium Member
I'd agree with that.

There should maybe be some difference between deluxe and value when it comes to these kinds of things.

For the rates deluxe charges room deliveries shouldn't be an issue.

The only reason I'd say it may be ok to charge at the values is that the resorts are larger and each individual delivery takes longer. Though for food deliveries maybe they should get each value a segways or something that would make the small deliveries alot quicker.
They could motorise a Keens 7 ...

Animaniac93-98

The table service resorts resort wide are packed. Try and get a reservation 1 week before for anything resembling a normal dining hour.
That’s pretty easy. Many cancel at the last minute to avoid cc charges. The last two times I ate at CRT it was booked a week ahead.

Lensman

Premium Member
Bell Services are part of your room rate. They are there to serve you. It’s literally the only reason they exist. What is the difference between delivering luggage and delivering groceries? Give me a break.
Yeah, this move makes me unhappy as well. It's the same feeling I got when I found out about the $5 package handling fee for receiving a package from, say Fedex or UPS. It won't break my bank, but somehow it bothers me.

OTOH, I'm pretty happy about how Bell Services will hold the items for you and refrigerate/freeze the perishable items. Do they really separate out your ice cream and keep it in the freezer for you until you come pick it up? And this aspect is still free, right?

I'd guess that they instituted the fee because it was impacting their bell desk staffing requirements as the popularity of these services increased. So they had a choice of: 1. eating the extra cost and incorporating it into possible higher room rates, though this is an inaccurate way of portraying how this would work 2. adding a resort fee 3. charging for the service

I'm not entirely sure why people are bringing up the quality or price of in-resort or in-park food. It seems to me that Disney accommodates people's desire to prepare and eat in the rooms with their family suites and practically all of DVC for that matter. Are there that many people ordering groceries other than those staying in the rooms Disney has created with kitchens? It seems to me that Disney is actually happy to have people buy groceries otherwise why build rooms with kitchens for guests?

FigmentForver96

Disney is making plenty of money off of food and beverage sales. If there was a problem they would be rethinking their pricing strategies. There is not a problem. As it stands the resorts and parks barely have the dining capacity to keep up with demand.

Epcot is the third (soon to be fourth?) most visited WDW park. It has 17 table service restaurants with three more on the way, 11 quick service locations, and countless windows/carts around the park. And yet they still find ways to ever increasingly fill the park with more venues to sell food and beverage at even higher price points as part of festivals. Yet somehow all those locations remain economically viable. Disney (and it’s participants) have no trouble selling overpriced food and beverage.

People have been bringing groceries to their WDW vacations for decades. When I visited with my family in the 80’s each trip included a stop at the grocery store or a prepacked suitcase of snacks, quick breakfast items, and beverages to have available in our room. This is nothing new. This is not because of the ever increasing food prices. This is because new services and technology have made the ordering easier than ever and those who are ordering are lazier than ever. If you want someone to brink your case of water all the way to your room you should expect to pay for that service. If you don’t want to pay for that, then get off your butt and get it yourself.
I’m right there with ya. My family always stopped at Target on the way down to get snacks and such for the room.

Bell services is (or ought to be) included in your room rate. You're already paying for it.
I work at a hotel in Arizona. We will deliver packages, laundry and luggage for free. We used to deliver welcome bags for weddings, etc. that the celebrators dropped off for free. It got to be so overwhelming we had to charge a fee for those. Disney is likely the same..

Disney is hardly the first or the last to charge for delivery to the room.

Casper Gutman

Disney continues to work really, really hard to create the impression that they are a small, petty, penny-ante business rather then a confident leader in the tourism industry.

And anyone who accuses WDW guests of a sense of “entitlement” needs to take a hard look at their blinding sense of “brand loyalty.” The actual value of the goods and services WDW provides is so minuscule compared to the rates they demand that the use of the term is absurd.

peter11435

Edit to add...

Bell services are a pretty standard included feature in hotels.
Bell service should be and is still included in your room rate. This isn’t the same thing.

If a guest shows up to a WDW resort with all their luggage, bells services will still deliver that luggage to the guests room free of charge. If the guest shows up with luggage and mountains of groceries bell services will still deliver all of that to your room.

Having groceries and other items delivered to the resort separately and expecting them to accept, handle, transfer, and deliver is an entirely seperate expectation.

Top Bottom