• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was mainly referring to their own shops and food service.

The root of the matter is Disney sells both packaged and prepared food. Delivery represents meals people are getting from somewhere NOT Disney... while Disney is sitting there waiting to serve the guest.

Imagine if two shops were on a street... and the shop on the left notices more and more people walk right past their shop to goto the other shop. What do you do? Most businesses would try to figure out why, and try to make themselves more attractive to get that business.

Disney’s example here... is the business trying to rip up the sidewalk to make it harder to reach the competition ... rather than make themselves more attractive.

It’s trying to win by punishing or limiting... instead of trying to be the most desirable product.
All I’m saying is that on the packaged food side they really don’t have to do a whole lot to discourage grocery delivery. They are offering a way to have your groceries delivered to the resort any time and then they store them for you free of charge (including keeping the cold and frozen stuff cold or frozen) until you are ready to pick them up or have them delivered. That’s a really convenient free offering they could easily discontinue or charge a large fee for if their goal was to reduce or eliminate grocery deliveries. People would be much less likely to wait around for the grocery service to deliver food.

In this case I think this is more driven by a desire to cut down on the number of deliveries to rooms and/or turn a profit from them.

flynnibus

Advertisement
All I’m saying is that on the packaged food side they really don’t have to do a whole lot to discourage grocery delivery. They are offering a way to have your groceries delivered to the resort any time and then they store them for you free of charge (including keeping the cold and frozen stuff cold or frozen) until you are ready to pick them up or have them delivered. That’s a really convenient free offering they could easily discontinue or charge a large fee for if their goal was to reduce or eliminate grocery deliveries. People would be much less likely to wait around for the grocery service to deliver food.

In this case I think this is more driven by a desire to cut down on the number of deliveries to rooms and/or turn a profit from them.
Again with the punish mindset... instead of the “be the more desirable option”

Disney was able to charge a premium for decades because people were thrilled with the product... not because people had no other choice. That’s the mindset they are losing.

Lensman

Premium Member

I have to agree with you and ask @flynnibus that if they're trying to discourage grocery delivery to the resorts, why are they not even charging a small fee for their accepting grocery deliveries and storing the for you (in cold storage, if necessary).

Note to @flynnibus: I've noticed that you're a sharp thinker and look at all the angles, which I appreciate. So I'm hoping you have an idea here.

Note to @GoofGoof: You're also a good thinker, but I need to butter up @flynnibus and get more of his thinking since you and I are already on the same page.

flynnibus

I have to agree with you and ask @flynnibus that if they're trying to discourage grocery delivery to the resorts, why are they not even charging a small fee for their accepting grocery deliveries and storing the for you (in cold storage, if necessary).
My point is as soon as you are focusing on “discouraging” people using your competition... you’ve already taken your eye off the ball.

Are you asking why they aren’t expanding their offering and embracing this with more cold storage options?

Lensman

Premium Member
My point is as soon as you are focusing on “discouraging” people using your competition... you’ve already taken your eye off the ball.

Are you asking why they aren’t expanding their offering and embracing this with more cold storage options?
No, I'm asking why getting groceries delivered and picking them up yourself at bell services is still free.

Do I need to add more butter? :)

Lensman

Premium Member
Wow, could you imagine parking fees and resort fees? I know in many places the resort fee covers it, but it wouldnt surprise me.
I checked all the EMH hotels:
The Swan and Dolphin charge a $28 resort fee and a $20 self parking fee.
The B Resort & Spa at Disney Springs has a $30 resort fee and a $22 self parking fee.
The Best Western Lake Buena Vista has $13.99 resort fee and a $8 self parking fee (a bargain!).
The DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs Area has NO resort fee but a $22 self parking fee.
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort has a $40 resort fee and a $27 self parking fee.
The Waldorf Astoria has a $45 resort fee and a $30 valet parking fee (self parking is only at the Hilton next door)
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek has a $45 resort fee and a $27 self parking fee.
The Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace has a $35 resort fee and a $22 self parking fee.
The Holiday Inn Resort Orlando - Lake Buena Vista has a $21.95 resort fee that includes parking
The Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista has a $25 resort fee and a $20 self parking fee.

I'm hoping that Disney continues to hold the line against resort fees, because I don't see them including parking. :(

Added note: Besides being a cash grab, the parking fee is meant to discourage people from renting a car, and so keeps people in the bubble. This disincentive would go away if they included parking in a resort fee that everyone had to pay.

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

The B Resort & Spa at Disney Springs has a $30 resort fee and a $22 self parking fee.
The Best Western Lake Buena Vista has $13.99 resort fee and a $8 self parking fee (a bargain!).
The DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs Area has NO resort fee but a $22 self parking fee.
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort has a $40 resort fee and a $27 self parking fee.
The Waldorf Astoria has a $45 resort fee and a $30 valet parking fee (self parking is only at the Hilton next door)
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek has a $45 resort fee and a $27 self parking fee.
The Hilton Orland Buena Vista Palace has a $35 resort fee and a $22 self parking fee.
The Holiday Inn Resort Orlando - Lake Buena Vista has a $21.95 resort fee that includes parking
The Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista has a $25 resort fee and a $20 self parking fee.

I'm hoping that Disney continues to hold the line against resort fees, because I don't see them including parking. :(
Makes me wonder what percentage of Orlando hotels charge for parking. Maybe there is a ever shrinking pool of places you can stay and avoid parking fee's. Anyone have a opinion. I am DVC so I don't know.

Last edited:

UncleMike101

The Hilton Orland Buena Vista Palace has a $35 resort fee and a $22 self parking fee.

Granted.........
But even with those fees the outside properties are less expensive than the comparable WDW offerings and the onsite perks are all but worthless since so many of those offsite hotels now have them.
Disney, in it's current mode of "pillage and plundering" of the Guests, will eventually enact those egregious fees and claim that they are just following the Industry Standards.
Before Iger, Disney followed no one.
THEY were the industry standard.

MagicRat

I was mainly referring to their own shops and food service.

The root of the matter is Disney sells both packaged and prepared food. Delivery represents meals people are getting from somewhere NOT Disney... while Disney is sitting there waiting to serve the guest.

Imagine if two shops were on a street... and the shop on the left notices more and more people walk right past their shop to goto the other shop. What do you do? Most businesses would try to figure out why, and try to make themselves more attractive to get that business.

Disney’s example here... is the business trying to rip up the sidewalk to make it harder to reach the competition ... rather than make themselves more attractive.

It’s trying to win by punishing or limiting... instead of trying to be the most desirable product.
Your argument does not work, they are the block. There doesn’t need to be competition. It’s their ball and they can take it away anytime they want. If I was Disney, I would do the exact same thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney was able to charge a premium for decades because people were thrilled with the product... not because people had no other choice. That’s the mindset they are losing.
Agree 100% across the board. I just don’t think it applies in this case.

Where I disagree is that this $6 fee is any meaningful attempt to discourage people from using the competition. I don’t think they care all that much. They just don’t feel like delivering packages to the rooms any more or not without turning a profit on it. Again, not allowing groceries to be delivered and stored at the resort would be much more of a deterrent.

I don’t think it would be very wise for Disney to expand their offerings in this space either. Grocery delivery is a niche market used primarily by DVC owners with full kitchens. They really don’t want to encourage resort guests to eat meals in their hotel room. DVC runs in conflict with that by providing a full kitchen. My guess is most people staying in a DVC villa still spend a large sum of money on Disney dining so it’s not really an issue.

I know it’s not necessary to say, but these are just my theories on this change. No inside info on what the motivation actually is. I understand why most people would jump to the conclusion that this change is just another foolish move by Disney to turn a quick profit or force more meals on property but if you dig a little deeper the math doesn’t add up. My alternative theory is this is more passive aggressive nonsense intending to discourage a certain behavior without having to confront guests for violating a policy.

LittleBuford

But even with those fees the outside properties are less expensive than the comparable WDW offerings and the onsite perks are all but worthless since so many of those offsite hotels now have them.
Which then raises the question of why people still choose to stay onsite. And I guess the answer is that they're willing to pay extra for the distinctive theming and ambiance. In other words, there still is a difference between Disney hotels and even their closest non-Disney counterparts, and there are those who clearly consider that difference worth paying for. Disney isn't "pillaging and plundering" anyone; people are free to select alternative accommodation, much of which (as you point out) comes with the same perks anyway.

(I say this as someone who stays offsite.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Granted.........
Disney, in it's current mode of "pillage and plundering" of the Guests, will eventually enact those egregious fees and claim that they are just following the Industry Standards.
Resort fees were only invented to make hotels show up as cheaper in online searches. I’m not sure how many WDW properties are booked that way. As you point out the price is much higher already so people aren’t booking based on lower room prices. Disney doesn’t need resort fees. That doesn’t mean I’m confident at all they won’t add them.

Animaniac93-98

Wow, could you imagine parking fees and resort fees? I know in many places the resort fee covers it, but it wouldnt surprise me.
I believe Swan and Dolphin charges for both.

$28 + tax for resort fee, $23 + tax for parking. That's $54.32 total per night.

UncleMike101

Which then raises the question of why people still choose to stay onsite. And I guess the answer is that they're willing to pay extra for the distinctive theming and ambiance. In other words, there still is a difference between Disney hotels and even their closest non-Disney counterparts, and there are those who clearly consider that difference worth paying for. Disney isn't "pillaging and plundering" anyone; people are free to select alternative accommodation, much of which (as you point out) comes with the same perks anyway.

And my group will likely join you in the future.
If we're going to pay top dollar we at least want accommodations that match the output of cash.

eliza61nyc

Absolutely. I think that's what people miss here. I think we here (collectively) are a very isolated community. we stay on these boards and grumble amongst ourselves. Disney resorts are still doing very very well and they still do a fabulous job of marketing the "on site" experience. I don't know anyone who stays off site and many of my coworkers simply will not go if it has to be offsite.

eliza61nyc

Granted.........
But the problem is Uncle Mike, how many folks (except here) plan vacations on what "use" to be. So @Lensman brings up a very valid point.
If I'm first time "joe" vacation planner, I look around and I see all the surrounding hotels charge both those resort fees and parking fees, I don't look at disney and then say "wow, Disney didn't have fees before Iger", I comparison shop and ask myself "are those fees out of line". Unfortunately we've been conditioned. No one bats an eye at baggage fees or ATM fees now, in fact we're surprised when we don't get those fees. we don't like them but we are no longer surprised.

And this one will definitely fly under the radar because it's an "pay for play" fees, which again the general public finds more tolerable then those general resort fees.
Now I'm an onsiter. If I cannot stay on site I don't go to wdw and I know many folks like that. for many, the ability to escape real life is worth the price. I don't think anyone thinks a Disney "deluxe" is a true deluxe, like any real estate it's about location. I read folks who absolutely say they want to stay on the monorail line and no where else.

That really is the hard thing with determining "value". some one may say, "hey, I'm not cooking on vacation ever, lol" so this fee is a non issue, while the parents of 3 toddlers may feel that the ability to walk to MK is worth whatever price the contemporary or BLT charges, for others they don't feel like they are getting their monies worth so it's offsite for them. every scenario is different

I do absolutely agree with you though, they old way of them doing business is gone. it's not going to return, they are not interested in being unique. The question then becomes will this make our vacations less enjoyable?

Last edited:

larryz

Can't 'Member Anything
Premium Member
My alternative theory is this is more passive aggressive nonsense intending to discourage a certain behavior without having to confront guests for violating a policy.
What policy does this delivery fee address -- a policy against outside deliveries, or a policy against asking Bell staff for help?

Top Bottom