• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Now Charging Handling Fees for in-room grocery deliveries.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
Just add another thing to the mix that Disney I charging for.
Now if you order food from online delivery services and have it delivered to the front desk, if they bring it to you room they will now charge you a $6.00 fee.

A few things...
  1. Food in Walt Disney World is very overpriced so people will order food to save themselves a little money during their trip depending on their budget.
  2. I don't know about anyone else, but if a bellhop delivers something to my room or helps me with my bags I tip them. So a $6.00 will ensure they no longer get a tip.
  3. If you meet the food delivery service yourself you can avoid the $6.00 fee.
  4. But in the end this does come off as yet another way to make money off of the guests for daring to buy their own food, much like they are now charging $13 - $24 if you dare use your own car during your stay.
No more free parking, no more free delivery.
And they want you to opt out of housekeeping as well.

Anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:

lostpro9het

DisneyDebRob

Now if you order food from online delivery services and have it delivered to the front desk, if they bring it to you room they will now charge you a $6.00 fee.

A few things...
  1. Food in Walt Disney World is very overpriced so people will order food to save themselves a little money during their trip depending on their budget.
  2. I don't know about anyone else, but if a bellhop delivers something to my room or helps me with my bags I tip them. So a $6.00 will ensure they no longer get a tip.
  4. But in the end this does come off as yet another way to make money off of the guests for daring to buy their own food, much like they are now charging $13 - $24 if you dare use your own car during your stay.

Anything else?
I’ll be the first to complain about things I don’t believe is the right thing that Disney does. I don’t have a huge problem with this though. It was nice while it lasted but it was just a nice benefit Disney did. You can still pick it up at the lobby which is fine. Guess more people were ordering and having it delivered and in the long run, was costing them money and time. No problem at all with this change.If they stopped people from having food delivered then let’s have that fight.
As for the parking fees I’m with you.

peter11435

Why do you feel that Disney should offer this service for free? I realize they always have before but what makes you feel entitled to that?

Disney never charged before because this didn’t use to be a thing. It slowly has become more and more common. They just went along and took care of the guests. But it has since grown out of control. Much like people shipping their crap to the port.

If someone spends 20-30 minutes collecting your groceries from a vendor and then transporting them across the the resort to your room and back, do you really feel that is labor that Disney should just be providing for free?

I realize it may seem greedy for them to charge for this. But it also seems greedy and entitled to have crap dropped off at a resort front desk and expect them to free of charge deliver them to your room.

DisneyDebRob

Why do you feel that Disney should offer this service for free? I realize they always have before but what makes you feel entitled to that?

Disney never charged before because this didn’t use to be a thing. It slowly has become more and more common. They just went along and took care of the guests. But it has since grown out of control. Much like people shipping their crap to the port.

If someone spends 20-30 minutes collecting your groceries from a vendor and then transporting them across the the resort to your room and back, do you really feel that is labor that Disney should just be providing for free?

I realize it may seem greedy for them to charge for this. But it also seems greedy and entitled to have crap dropped off at a resort front desk and expect them to free of charge deliver them to your room.
Was also thinking of someone in kidani getting delivery to their rooms. That’s about a half hour to 45 minute waste of time for a cm.

TeriofTerror

A few things...

Anything else?
Please don't refrain from tipping. I used to deliver pizzas, and when the owner instituted a delivery fee, I can promise you not one cent went directly to the drivers.
The bellhops likely had no say in this decision.

Mr Incredible

Original Poster
Please don't refrain from tipping. I used to deliver pizzas, and when the owner instituted a delivery fee, I can promise you not one cent went directly to the drivers.
The bellhops likely had no say in this decision.
I know the bellhops did not have a say, but Disney needs to think about this decision because that is what many people are going to say, "I'm being charged for this so why bother tipping." They won't care that bellhops are not seeing that $6.00. They are thinking too themselves...that's what we're paying for.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Premium Member

This is very good satire.

Animaniac93-98

Perhaps Disney should think about why so many of their guests are chosing not to pay for their food?

mm121

I'd say this is probably justified.

Now that most tipping is done "on the app" for many delivery services I could see people tipping the driver that brings it from the business to the resort. But then NOT tipping the Disney employee.

The handoff from the delivery service to Bell services is unique to Disney since they don't let or try not to let outside delivery people from going direct to the rooms.

If your getting a big grocery delivery from a service like Instacart or Shipt paying g this fee would probably be worth it since they don't let you just "borrow" luggage carts.

jt04

Just like Disney intercepted Lyft/Uber business with Minnie Vans; how long until Disney provides a grocery delivery service?
I was thinking the same. Though I would guess it would be at a premium. Can't be fun for housekeeping. They might have to start taking cleaning deposits too like some hotels do for smoking in a non-smoking room.

Animaniac93-98

If purchasing food at Disney was such an issue, then why does Disney keep adding restaurants and food service everywhere? Somebody's buyin'.
The people buying food don't always pay full price. Disney uses pre-paid credits, package and passholder discounts to encourage people to eat on site and demand for table service dining is certainly not equally spread across property.

And the bulk of park guests are not eating at table service restaurants. They're the ones in line for places like Pecos Bill and one of the most common criticisms of Disney, from even the most casual of visitors, is that the cost of food is too high. It's why so many guests opt to get groceries and why this policy is now in place. This new fee does nothing to address that concern, and is simply a short term fix to a problem Disney themselves created.

Naplesgolfer

The people buying food don't always pay full price. Disney uses pre-paid credits, package and passholder discounts to encourage people to eat on site and demand for table service dining is certainly not equally spread across property.

And the bulk of park guests are not eating at table service restaurants. They're the ones in line for places like Pecos Bill and one of the most common criticisms of Disney, from even the most casual of visitors, is that the cost of food is too high. It's why so many guests opt to get groceries and why this policy is now in place. This new fee does nothing to address that concern, and is simply a short term fix to a problem Disney themselves created.
The table service resorts resort wide are packed. Try and get a reservation 1 week before for anything resembling a normal dining hour.

Perhaps Disney should think about why so many of their guests are chosing not to pay for their food?
Well, there are lots of reasons why people would choose to have food delivered that has very little to do with the price of the food:
  • Allergies. Regardless of Disney's reputation for handling allergies well, some people will choose to bring their own food.
  • They're only buying things like baby food and formula.
  • This is how they've always done vacations, so why change now?
  • They want stuff not found on property. Fresh raspberries, skyr yogurt, Cap'n Crunch, etc., etc.
  • They are on some sort of diet. Paleo or doctor-prescribed or raw or other.
  • Sheer curiosity at some American foods.

Top Bottom