News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

montyz81

100% Agree! Mickey is long overdue for his own ride... just in another location. The GMR was just as iconic to DHS as SE is to EPCOT. The Chinese Theatre screams Hollywood to me and the GMR was the perfect attraction to be housed inside it. Refurb? Yes! Updates? Of course! Such a shame to see this icon be tossed away like yesterday's trash...
This got me thinking, with all the animatronics being retired from rides gone past, they now must have more in storage at this point then they do actually running in rides. Also, I am sure Samsung is working overtime with all the screens they are using to replace animatronics.

Maybe they could start a whole new haunted attraction called the animatronic boneyard!

Cesar R M

I think my issue with the new cartoons are the "meme" faces they stick on whatever character so you know it was a joke. Its a cheap shot to make people laugh because "lol internet memes" instead of putting effort into it. Maybe instead of that, write a better joke. It's like a laugh track but more in your face.

Oh and I'll add in the fact it looks like a overpriced Newgrounds flash animation from 2007. I know hand drawn animation is basically dead, but you can do interesting stuff in Flash if you actually want a unique style. At least Ren and Stimpy had a style, even if it was pretty grotesque at times.

I'm glad they're making new Mickey cartoons but I'm not happy with the overall style. The ride should be great from what our insiders have said. It just shouldn't have replaced GMR.
Wow, such hate.
I actually like the new series because they are indeed funny.
And I'm in no way a millennial who only thinks of memes.

You have to modernize your chars and try to identify them to the new crowd or you get stagnant.
The only thing that I definitively agree.. is the horrible design of goofy.

KBLovedDisney

I have 2 boxes in the freezer...FYI
latest

trainplane3

Wow, such hate.
I actually like the new series because they are indeed funny.
And I'm in no way a millennial who only thinks of memes.

You have to modernize your chars and try to identify them to the new crowd or you get stagnant.
The only thing that I definitively agree.. is the horrible design of goofy.
I wouldn't call it hate honestly. I do have a few issues with the show, but it is still better then a lot of shows on TV.

The Newgrounds comment is basically directed at all current cartoon shows. Meme faces have been overused for a while so it's always something to see how a show tries to "keep up with the times" but it's 5 years behind the curve with that fad.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

No. From the original post of this thread:

This was Disney cutting off its nose to spite its face. Rather than refurb an existing attraction and renew a sponsorship deal, they chose to close The Great Movie Ride, basically gut the building, and put something else in its place instead of building new for a Mickey ride. Why have two attractions when they can have one with probably 1/4 to 1/3 the operating costs? Of course, it probably won't handle as many guests per hour, but since when is that a concern of TDO these days?
No I was referring to how it was mostly composed of MGM films.
No. There were films from many companies in there. The TCM contract was only a stop gap measure. Disney were planning to close GMR but were not ready to do so yet.
Sorry, should’ve said mostly. Most were MGM, with a few exceptions.

Sketch105

I highly doubt they are replacing it due to licensing agreements.

Considering Disney in the 1990s had no movies to promote when it opened, and now they own Star Wars, Marvel, and have their own catalogue of animated features and films to promote, I can see the MGM/TCM deal being a big withdrawal. TCM was a holdover to keep a sponsor putting money into an attraction they didn't want to upkeep anymore, and with their own movies to promote, the death of Robert Osborne, and the conclusion of the three year deal with TCM sponsorship..licensing agreements did spell the end of the Great Movie Ride altogther.

MerlinTheGoat

Apart from Michael Eisner's contributions to successfully rebuilding Disney's film studios (animated and live action), one of his more commendable traits initially was a willingness to work together with outside companies or even rivals. The most prominent example was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Disney worked with Warner Bros, Paramount and other companies to bring all of their classics together in a single film that paid tribute to animation history. It was also a monumental triumph, with universal acclaim. This was during Eisner's heyday, before going insane with power and burning all the bridges with affiliates (and helping to ruin his own studio and creating new enemies).

Great Movie Ride was another example of Disney's willingness to work with other companies at the time. And no they didn't have to do it. Disney has tons of classic beloved and popular properties of their own that they could have filled out the ride with instead if they wanted. Not even including classic animated films like Fantasia. Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Absent Minded Professor, 20k Leagues Under the Sea, Davy Crockett, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, The gy Dog (Really? THAT is censored?), Darby O'Gill, Swiss Family Robinson, Babes in Toyland, The Love Bug etc.

Goofyernmost

Apart from Michael Eisner's contributions to successfully rebuilding Disney's film studios (animated and live action), one of his more commendable traits initially was a willingness to work together with outside companies or even rivals. The most prominent example was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Disney worked with Warner Bros, Paramount and other companies to bring all of their classics together in a single film that paid tribute to animation history. It was also a monumental triumph, with universal acclaim. This was during Eisner's heyday, before going insane with power and burning all the bridges with affiliates (and helping to ruin his own studio and creating new enemies).

Great Movie Ride was another example of Disney's willingness to work with other companies at the time. And no they didn't have to do it. Disney has tons of classic beloved and popular properties of their own that they could have filled out the ride with instead if they wanted. Not even including classic animated films like Fantasia. Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Absent Minded Professor, 20k Leagues Under the Sea, Davy Crockett, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, The ****gy Dog (Really? THAT is censored?), Darby O'Gill, Swiss Family Robinson, Babes in Toyland, The Love Bug etc.
I agree that Disney had an impressive number of movies that they could have featured, for the most part by the end of the ride we would all have to be getting insulin shots. That much sugar would have to be bad for your health. Diversity is what the ride needed and that is what they got. Also Disney had it's own stable of stars that were practically exclusive to Disney. I guess all they would have had to do is make about 100 AA's of Fred MacMurray. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom