News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Goofyernmost

Complaints about the castles appearance skyrocketed. Apparently it's sacrosanct for those who wanted the once in a lifetime photo in front of it. They expected the quintessential fairy tale castle.
I still think that grown ups should be beyond the worship of plastic. My opinion, I know, but, it isn't going to change anytime soon. Seeing the birth of your child is a once in a lifetime activity. Seeing a plastic castle is not. It is beyond suspension of disbelief, it is complete suspension of reality along with the inability to recognize what is important and what isn't.

britain

I still think that grown ups should be beyond the worship of plastic. My opinion, I know, but, it isn't going to change anytime soon. Seeing the birth of your child is a once in a lifetime activity. Seeing a plastic castle is not. It is beyond suspension of disbelief, it is complete suspension of reality along with the inability to recognize what is important and what isn't.

Well said, and I totally agree. I do think, however, that if you're a going to be married there and you're expecting the castle to provide a proper backdrop to your wedding, you would be pretty disappointed to have the cake version back there.

Goofyernmost

That is why opinions are important. What doesn't matter to someone matters greatly to another.

The castle mattered to a huge amount of people. Thankfully nothing like it will be done again in Orlando.
You say thankfully, I say tragically. I think that the upset about the cake started us on the path of blandness and sameness that plagues the parks right through today and has stopped us from ever experiencing a lot of new and interesting things. This museum mindset has stopped a lot of creativity and change that is needed to keep the place alive and vibrant. I'm sure that a group of imagineers and TDO were completely demoralized by the reaction to this novel idea and never really made the effort to create new things and excite the public again. For some that is good, but, for me, is the reason that most of the time, I now go to Universal instead. Something that until a few years ago, I would never even have considered.

huwar18

You say thankfully, I say tragically. I think that the upset about the cake started us on the path of blandness and sameness that plagues the parks right through today and has stopped us from ever experiencing a lot of new and interesting things. This museum mindset has stopped a lot of creativity and change that is needed to keep the place alive and vibrant. I'm sure that a group of imagineers and TDO were completely demoralized by the reaction to this novel idea and never really made the effort to create new things and excite the public again. For some that is good, but, for me, is the reason that most of the time, I now go to Universal instead. Something that until a few years ago, I would never even have considered.

I think that both mindsets can exist at the same time. There is no need to replace iconic attraction with new attractions. There is so much room for expansion that this should never be an issue. Why can't the company update older attractions and add new attractions to expansion pads? Personally, I want new attractions. However, I do not want them to replace iconic attractions with new out of theme or place attractions. I do hear what you are saying. I have a lot of friends who share your feelings.

Goofyernmost

I think that both mindsets can exist at the same time. There is no need to replace iconic attraction with new attractions. There is so much room for expansion that this should never be an issue. Why can't the company update older attractions and add new attractions to expansion pads? Personally, I want new attractions. However, I do not want them to replace iconic attractions with new out of theme or place attractions. I do hear what you are saying. I have a lot of friends who share your feelings.
I'm only talking about special event creations. I agree totally with the mix in regular attractions. I was there for the change, went twice that year, and the fun of the cake, the whimsy far outweighed the fact that it covered the Castle. There was nothing going on inside, no rides or shows were sacrificed and it was just a fun "temporary" idea. Something we don't really see much of anymore, but, were pretty common in the beginning.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think that the upset about the cake started us on the path of blandness and sameness that plagues the parks right through today and has stopped us from ever experiencing a lot of new and interesting things.
There are tons of new and interesting things to experience. Cabanas, up charge cup cake parties, FP+ viewing areas for shows, express bus service, water and chips from a golf cart in the parking lot, and my personal favorite.....D-Zone at Epcot. That was some serious theming.

I'm sure that a group of imagineers and TDO were completely demoralized by the reaction to this novel idea and never really made the effort to create new things and excite the public again
Or....certain executives decided that cutting the red tape was an easier way to keep the bottom line looking good rather than allowing the Imagineers to create new things and excite the public. Just slap an IP on it and the public will wet their pants and call us geniuses!!!

Goofyernmost

There are tons of new and interesting things to experience. Cabanas, up charge cup cake parties, FP+ viewing areas for shows, express bus service, water and chips from a golf cart in the parking lot, and my personal favorite.....D-Zone at Epcot. That was some serious theming.

Or....certain executives decided that cutting the red tape was an easier way to keep the bottom line looking good rather than allowing the Imagineers to create new things and excite the public. Just slap an IP on it and the public will wet their pants and call us geniuses!!!
Sarcasm is interesting, but, that is the result of the symptom of the problem, the problem is much deeper. And the public is wetting their pants and calling them geniuses, just not a select few that frequent this discussion board. Surprising as it may seem not everyone is all bent out of shape about the direction that Disney is going. The parks are still full. People are still making return visits, and the earth continues to orbit around the sun every 365 days or so.

RoysCabin

I remember being about 12 when the cake castle happened; I thought it was pretty fun, since I was fortunate enough as a kid to get to go to WDW with pretty fair annual regularity, but I felt bad because my grandmother passed away soon afterward and she had wanted to get one more visit in with the castle looking like its normal self. Obviously not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as it pertains to losing a loved one, but I had a hard time separating the fact from my memories for awhile afterward.

Now the EPCOT wand, on the other hand, that got old after about fifteen minutes in the park back in 2000.

I'm glad some folks are bringing up something that does stick out a lot to me, and it's something my mother actually said once I mentioned to her the rumor that the Tiki Room might be done away with at Magic Kingdom: why can't classic attractions get plussed anymore? Why can't an experience be kept largely intact, but the technology and effects used to create the experience get a freshening up every so often? Maybe the old school Tiki Birds aren't impressive enough anymore, fine, but why not experiment a bit to liven up the experience? I'm sure some would complain about any alterations whatsoever, but I'm talking less about wholesale changes and more about effects and what have you. I get it insofar as I'm sure the folks running the park want to have the chance to market "Look, at this overla-...I mean entirely new attraction!" whenever they can, but given that Disney really focused for a long time on creating repeat customers, I think a well thought out updating of effects in an attraction could better guarantee that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You say thankfully, I say tragically..
Yep. Like I said opinion is a great thing.

There again the castle was also decorated in 2005 so it's not as if they're adverse to alterations. Just ones that are more sympathetic and in keeping with the surrounding. Not a barf bag that makes Innoventions look understated.

And believe me, there's no "museum mindset" as you called it stopping things.

Mike S

You must be so fun at parties.
That is why opinions are important. What doesn't matter to someone matters greatly to another.

The castle mattered to a huge amount of people. Thankfully nothing like it will be done again in Orlando.
I did like what they did during DL's 50th.

That was great.

Marc Davis Fan

I don't think the significance is about the material object of the castle, but rather its symbolism, and the meaning to guests of the place that it represents.

(I think people would be similarly upset if, say, Mount Rushmore were covered up with decorations during their long-planned visit to the Black Hills region, or if the Statue of Liberty were "redecorated" during their long-awaited visit to NYC.)

Last edited:

HMF

I highly doubt Cinderella Castle is made of Plastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom