News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Kamikaze

Many insiders say this will not be happening. To which innumerable people say, "Whew!!!". After seeing the abomination in CA, ruining Florida's ToT would likely push many, many guests to simply stop visiting. Seriously.

The difference is that WDW's tower is an iconic attraction. DCA's ... not so much. It was the single attraction that was shared between the two locations that was superior in WDW.

Kman101

Yeah but it's not marketed the way DHS tower is. It wasn't an icon advertised as such. It was part of a park that had a lot more to do. Still doesn't excuse the overlay but if I had to pick one or the other to get an overlay ... (personally I'd choose neither but still ...)

Biff215

My best guess is that it will 'set the table' for the rest of the park. Sort of the way SSE did for EC. Second possibility is that they intend to grow a themed land around it. A good example could be Mission Breakout DCA.
Not sure how a Mickey ride could set the table for a movies-based park any better than GMR, and how would you grow a themed land around the GMR building? That line of thinking only justifies keeping GMR and using Launch Bay for Mickey.

jt04

Not sure how a Mickey ride could set the table for a movies-based park any better than GMR, and how would you grow a themed land around the GMR building? That line of thinking only justifies keeping GMR and using Launch Bay for Mickey.

Watch and see how they develop the area around Mission breakout. Could be similar. Echo lake and Indy have been rumored for removal for years. As could the old sounds dangerous and theater next door. Plenty of space that could be overhauled entirely. A phase 3 has been strongly suggested. All would likely be post 2021.

HMF

Well, it isn't really a Movies-based park as such anymore. It's more Disney's IP Park or even more specifically Iger's Acquisition Park.

clemmo

And besides that lol ... the park needs a lot more than an overlay (overlay probably isn't the right word for Mickey but still ...) and replacement attractions even if they're better than what was there.

Animation courtyard and the Indy area should be next on the list.
After the 50th I'm hoping major work on Epcot will be done and the next park up again will be DHS then DAK.

Biff215

Well, it isn't really a Movies-based park as such anymore. It's more Disney's IP Park or even more specifically Iger's Acquisition Park.
Agreed, but they're mostly movies still. And unless they're dropping "Hollywood" from the park name, I'd still argue GMR is a solid centerpiece, not that Disney cares what I think. They just see GMR as a big empty building where they can toss a new ride they can market. It will solve literally zero capacity issues that SWL will only continue to compound.

FigmentJedi

Imo they should knock down the theater and expand/renovate dinoland getting away from the carnival storyline to a more study of the dinosaurs. Just don't touch Dinosaur the ride (though I wouldn't mind a new name)
I'd say new mountain complex combining space for a ride covering Ice Age mammals and a silly dark ride that actually captures the "Roadside Dinosaur Park" spirit correctly as the replacement for the theater and Dinorama. Dinoland could use a visual anchor that places it more out west where you actually find Mesozoic fossils and the roadside dino/fossil-specific museums that spring up near them. Would also frame the lagoon nicely too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom