News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

clemmo

It kills me to agree with you, but here, I partially do. That theater does not fit with the authentic-style design of the rest of the park. Looks like something that would fit the design of my local zoo or of SeaWorld, but not Animal Kingdom. Dinorama is the obvious offender, and I think its problems overshadow Theater in the Wind. Dinoland as a whole needs help.
Imo they should knock down the theater and expand/renovate dinoland getting away from the carnival storyline to a more study of the dinosaurs. Just don't touch Dinosaur the ride (though I wouldn't mind a new name)

doctornick

Without turning this into another marvel debate thread what could they bring into DHS besides GOTG since that's going into Epcot?

Dr. Strange seems to be okay since he appeared as a M&G. Other than that (and GotG), I think it's up to debate. I don't think any of the upcoming movie folks would fit (Ant-Man and Captain Marvel seem to connected to established Uni characters to be possible).

On the TV side, there's options maybe. The characters from the Netflix shows could be a possibility, but given the more mature content from those shows, I think they would be avoided or at least toned down to more child friendly representations. I've often wondered if a SHIELD based attraction would be okay. They have TV shows planned based on the Inhumans, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and Squirrel Girl/New Warriors -- all of which could arguably be possible (or not) depending on how one interprets the contract with Uni.

It also depends on what, if any, modification or "clarifications" have happened to the contract. There's at least been rumors that Disney and Uni have come to some further agreements regarding the Marvel deal which may have helped to free up some characters for Disney to use (or at least confirm that they are available for use).

jt04

Imo they should knock down the theater and expand/renovate dinoland getting away from the carnival storyline to a more study of the dinosaurs. Just don't touch Dinosaur the ride (though I wouldn't mind a new name)

They could also incorporate it into Asia. Perhaps a lost temple that has been overgrown. Perfect venue for a Jungle Book attraction such as a show or queue building.

Cesar R M

Apparently they have a long term plan but they're going to need to get moving on that once they see how popular SWL is. The big area that needs work is animation courtyard. I honestly have no clue what happens to that once it opens. Imo it'll serve no purpose beyond upcharge events probably. After that the area by what's currently Star tours and the IJSS should be reassessed.
It could go the other way too.. after Star Wars, they see huge increase in visitors.. and for the big $$$ guys of Disney.. would pat their backs and say "well good enough, lets leave everything else as it is for 10 years!"

Cesar R M

Dr. Strange seems to be okay since he appeared as a M&G. Other than that (and GotG), I think it's up to debate. I don't think any of the upcoming movie folks would fit (Ant-Man and Captain Marvel seem to connected to established Uni characters to be possible).

On the TV side, there's options maybe. The characters from the Netflix shows could be a possibility, but given the more mature content from those shows, I think they would be avoided or at least toned down to more child friendly representations. I've often wondered if a SHIELD based attraction would be okay. They have TV shows planned based on the Inhumans, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and Squirrel Girl/New Warriors -- all of which could arguably be possible (or not) depending on how one interprets the contract with Uni.

It also depends on what, if any, modification or "clarifications" have happened to the contract. There's at least been rumors that Disney and Uni have come to some further agreements regarding the Marvel deal which may have helped to free up some characters for Disney to use (or at least confirm that they are available for use).
I wonder if they can use the new young champions (equivalent of Marvel's version of DC's Young Justice's teen titans)
Which kinda have new chars based on old chars (New Nova, Ultimate Spiderman, Young Cyclops, Young Hulk, Daughter of The Vision,Miss Marvel)

VulcanCafe

If they were smart, they would lower the ticket price to $60 for a limited time. They could make a whole brand out of it, and with that they could make their money lost with branded merchandise as Disney usually does with any of their "celebrations".

If they lower the cost they would actually increase the number of people that attend and are potentially unhappy. Can you imagine 3 hour waits for 4 rides? They simply can't lower the price even if they feel it's justified.

Brer Oswald

If they lower the cost they would actually increase the number of people that attend and are potentially unhappy. Can you imagine 3 hour waits for 4 rides? They simply can't lower the price even if they feel it's justified.
What can they do? If they lower the price, they increase ticket sales and money earned, but they make guests unhappy. If they don't, they make less money, decrease ticket sales, and make the guests who do buy tickets unhappy. If only they had closed things in a more orderly schedule so that for every closed attraction, one would open.

Bocabear

It could go the other way too.. after Star Wars, they see huge increase in visitors.. and for the big $$$ guys of Disney.. would pat their backs and say "well good enough, lets leave everything else as it is for 10 years!"
THAT is exactly what would happen...when did Disney ever finish up a project with a fully realised phase II? like never... that is why the World Showcase was never completed...Attractions never built...Western River Expedition, Roger Rabbit's Toontown... If they don't build it the first time, phase II will not happen... they may build something else, but it won't follow the plan or be nearly as ambitious...

G00fyDad

THAT is exactly what would happen...when did Disney ever finish up a project with a fully realised phase II? like never... that is why the World Showcase was never completed...Attractions never built...Western River Expedition, Roger Rabbit's Toontown... If they don't build it the first time, phase II will not happen... they may build something else, but it won't follow the plan or be nearly as ambitious...

th (1).jpg

HMF

Sunset Blvd. Arguably.

CrescentLake

Brilliant, isn't it?

I guess they figure if TSL opens in May 2018 that it will take up the slack ...

They're in a bad place if a ride goes down for the day or if they end up closing TSMM right before the land behind it opens (if they need to close it).

What are they thinking? How could this makeover go so wrong?

This is what I've been saying since this was specified as a legitimate rumor. DHS is going to have an enormous problem. It already does not have much to do. Now GMR is being taken off line, and at some point TSMM will have to close for a little while for toy story land. Imagine Tower or Rockin Rollercoaster goes down for a day (or worse?) You'll have a park with nothing to do.

That's not even getting into the fact that Star Wars Land is going to flood a small park that is not prepared for it.

jt04

This is what I've been saying since this was specified as a legitimate rumor. DHS is going to have an enormous problem. It already does not have much to do. Now GMR is being taken off line, and at some point TSMM will have to close for a little while for toy story land. Imagine Tower or Rockin Rollercoaster goes down for a day (or worse?) You'll have a park with nothing to do.

That's not even getting into the fact that Star Wars Land is going to flood a small park that is not prepared for it.

That is why they should fast track the rumored rat and coco. At least they will be in proximity from the rumored gondola.

jt04

My best guess is that it will 'set the table' for the rest of the park. Sort of the way SSE did for EC. Second possibility is that they intend to grow a themed land around it. A good example could be Mission Breakout DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom