News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Kman101

so then the park will be down to 4 rides?

Brilliant, isn't it?

I guess they figure if TSL opens in May 2018 that it will take up the slack ...

They're in a bad place if a ride goes down for the day or if they end up closing TSMM right before the land behind it opens (if they need to close it).

What are they thinking? How could this makeover go so wrong?

Kman101

Apart from SWL and TSL, what else are they planning? They've been saying the whole park is getting an overhaul. Lots more needs to be done aside from those two lands and a gut of the GMR.

That's the question I've been asking. What else do they have planned? They probably think TSL and SWL are enough. Supposedly the shows will get overhauled but not until next year (that was B&TB but I don't know how accurate that is anymore).

Cousin Huet

Surely they can't have a plan to close GMR with TSL and SWL still under construction. It keeps getting worse in this park and I feel like there still is not a vision for where we are going here. I sincerely hope they hold off and let some stuff start opening up before shuttering more.

clemmo

Apart from SWL and TSL, what else are they planning? They've been saying the whole park is getting an overhaul. Lots more needs to be done aside from those two lands and a gut of the GMR.
Apparently they have a long term plan but they're going to need to get moving on that once they see how popular SWL is. The big area that needs work is animation courtyard. I honestly have no clue what happens to that once it opens. Imo it'll serve no purpose beyond upcharge events probably. After that the area by what's currently Star tours and the IJSS should be reassessed.

Jones14

Brilliant, isn't it?

They're in a bad place if a ride goes down for the day or if they end up closing TSMM right before the land behind it opens (if they need to close it).

It seems that in the Toy Story Mania case that a closure to reconfigure the queue would not be a very long one, so I would assume that they would try to close it during a soft opening of the rest of the land. That would keep the ride count at 5, which would actually be an increase from later this year even without Toy Story Mania.

Just my speculation, but I would think (hope) that they would not intentionally let the park drop to three rides, even if it were only for a day. Then again, I never thought they'd drop to four, and here we are.

Brer Oswald

Brilliant, isn't it?

If they were smart, they would lower the ticket price to $60 for a limited time. They could make a whole brand out of it, and with that they could make their money lost with branded merchandise as Disney usually does with any of their "celebrations".

jt04

Perhaps the venue can find a new show.

I know I'm in the minority, but I found the Finding Nemo show to be completely meh. Worse than meh. More like ick.

No need for everyone to jump on me, I've already acknowledged that I am in the minority.
My opinion is not based on any show present or future. It is the building that was placed there without any consideration for placesetting. Worse even than the Stitch stage.

Credit for trying to spruce it up but it needs a major reimagining or a removal. IMO.

doctornick

I really don't get why they don't close the Indy stunt show ASAP and build on that plot (and into the parking lot as previously planned for SW) right away to get additional rides opened. Then, if you absolutely must replace GMR with Mickey, wait until TSL opens to close it for the switch.

The Indy stunt show makes no sense any more with the direction the park is taking (unlike GMR which still would be a decent fit) and that is valuable real estate that could be geared towards something additional.

doctornick

WDW1974 has mentioned that there are still active plans to bring Marvel stuff (whatever they are allowed in Florida) to DHS at some point. Don't know if that is on the table or any timeframe, perhaps other insiders might confirm.

clemmo

WDW1974 has mentioned that there are still active plans to bring Marvel stuff (whatever they are allowed in Florida) to DHS at some point. Don't know if that is on the table or any timeframe, perhaps other insiders might confirm.
Without turning this into another marvel debate thread what could they bring into DHS besides GOTG since that's going into Epcot?

No Name

I find it surprising and appalling that they'd get rid of the longest ride in an already-shallow park. They are really pushing the limit, and not the upper limit. Four rides, none of which are longer than 5 minutes? I don't know...

Oh yeah. One of my biggest gripes is the placement of the Nemo theater. Really needs to go. Perhaps the show can find a new venue.

It kills me to agree with you, but here, I partially do. That theater does not fit with the authentic-style design of the rest of the park. Looks like something that would fit the design of my local zoo or of SeaWorld, but not Animal Kingdom. Dinorama is the obvious offender, and I think its problems overshadow Theater in the Wind. Dinoland as a whole needs help.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom