News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

TrojanUSC

My understanding was that they have to get rid of the GMR due to the agreement with TCM ending, is that the only reason? Marie

That sponsorship is only a couple years old, why would that effect a nearly 30 year old ride?

TCM has no bearing on the ride operation or licensing therein, with the exception that its parent company, Time Warner, owns the rights to some of the films displayed within GMR - but these contracts are completely separate from the sponsorship deal - which is held by an entirely separate division of Time Warner. Disney signed a long-term deal with MGM back in the 80s for use of select older films. Ownership of these films was later transferred to Time Warner, but the licensing deals were unaffected.

rd805

So I can't really think of a single justified reason why GMR needs to go to make way for Mickey, but it won't matter unfortunately. Disney has the right to do what they want of course, it's just a shame that we can't have both when this park needs it so badly.

It is just dated and needs to be new again -- the park's identity will all be brand new. Lets get another attraction with state of the art technology, because it's what WDW needs !!

jt04

But you're easily pleased.

Exceptions being the MK version of Tiki, SGE, Laugh Floor, Energy, Imagination, Dinorama, CBJ, the Speedway, placement of CoP and the Circus. That pretty much covers it. Fortunately they appear to be working on a few of these deficiencies.

Biff215

It is just dated and needs to be new again -- the park's identity will all be brand new. Lets get another attraction with state of the art technology, because it's what WDW needs !!
I disagree completely. Parts of it are dated because Disney allowed that to happen, and as Martin pointed out, that's a fairly easy fix that wouldn't require a huge amount of time or money in the big scheme of things. The park's identity is certainly shifting but it will still be based on movies. There are other "studio" attractions that would need changing much more than GMR if that was the primary reason for its removal. What this park and WDW needs is more capacity and attractions for guests to enjoy, not the same or less. I haven't heard anyone doubt that the Mickey attraction will be great and a long time coming, it's just the wrong space to do it, much like shoving Guardians into ToT, even if it is less intrusive.

rd805

Which would be relatively easy to fix.

(Nearly) Every scene would need to be updated / replaced with better fits for the various genre, which I'd totally love.
Speed up the ride system perhaps?

But then more importantly you can move the Mickey ride to replace Launch Bay.

one can wish...

Biff215

(Nearly) Every scene would need to be updated / replaced with better fits for the various genre, which I'd totally love.
Speed up the ride system perhaps?

But then more importantly you can move the Mickey ride to replace Launch Bay.

one can wish...
Nearly every scene? Speed it up? I don't see the need for either. Most of the movies represented stand up as good fits for each genre, perhaps the AA's could use some updates and maybe a few scenes get swapped out. Personally I still enjoy it as it currently exists, and I don't think I'm alone in that. This isn't meant to be a thrill ride, it's a unique long form dark ride that takes you through the history of movie making. It's timeless and the perfect centerpiece for DHS and where the park is headed IMO.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Oh yeah. One of my biggest gripes is the placement of the Nemo theater. Really needs to go. Perhaps the show can find a new venue.
Perhaps the venue can find a new show.

I know I'm in the minority, but I found the Finding Nemo show to be completely meh. Worse than meh. More like ick.

No need for everyone to jump on me, I've already acknowledged that I am in the minority.

Kman101

It's cute enough I guess ... I saw it when it first opened and just again a few weeks ago after not seeing it in between those 10 years (but I've seen Lion King as much as I can) ... I think it's time for an update, or a change to a new show, but we can't even get them to update or change the shows at DHS which are all well over 20 years old.

Jones14

Perhaps the venue can find a new show.

I know I'm in the minority, but I found the Finding Nemo show to be completely meh. Worse than meh. More like ick.

No need for everyone to jump on me, I've already acknowledged that I am in the minority.
Nemo has the Epcot problem; it was beautiful when it opened and it hasn't been touched since. It's a great show at its core, but it is definitely showing its age, and the outdated projections, simple backdrops, and mid-2000's costumes aren't doing it any favors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom