News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

FigmentJedi

Star Wars Celebration featured a panel on Star Wars Land today and the sheer scope of the thing just makes how TDO's handling the rest of the Studios project even more baffling.

Toy Story Land's going to look even more embarrassing put next to that thing and the demand that Star Wars Land is going to create is going to vastly outpace the park's capacity. Like doing Mickey as an overlay instead of a new build on Sunset or installed in Launch Bay is going to have consequences as large as the fact that if you mess up on the Millennium Falcon ride, you will gain a reputation as an awful pilot amongst the various smugglers and creatures populating the streets of Star Wars Land.

Magenta Panther

Oh, it's such a shame I won't get to say goodbye to GMR...

The last time I visited WDW, I rode it 3 times. I'm so grateful I did...

Man, talk about mixed feelings. A Mickey ride, huzzah! But shoehorned into GMR, boo. Just what the heck is the park going to be about if it's not about movies anymore? The GMR was a statement about the park's theme - the strongest statement. If it were invested in like it should be, it could be incredibly amazing. Since good old movies live forever, the theme of the ride could never be dated. Just who are these people in Disney who come up with these cheap lazy ideas? How can they sleep at night, destroying as much as they do?

jt04

Star Wars Celebration featured a panel on Star Wars Land today and the sheer scope of the thing just makes how TDO's handling the rest of the Studios project even more baffling.

Toy Story Land's going to look even more embarrassing put next to that thing and the demand that Star Wars Land is going to create is going to vastly outpace the park's capacity. Like doing Mickey as an overlay instead of a new build on Sunset or installed in Launch Bay is going to have consequences as large as the fact that if you mess up on the Millennium Falcon ride, you will gain a reputation as an awful pilot amongst the various smugglers and creatures populating the streets of Star Wars Land.

DHS 2.0 is likely being managed from the top down. I doubt TDO has much say.

jt04

Man, talk about mixed feelings. A Mickey ride, huzzah! But shoehorned into GMR, boo. Just what the heck is the park going to be about if it's not about movies anymore? The GMR was a statement about the park's theme - the strongest statement. If it were invested in like it should be, it could be incredibly amazing. Since good old movies live forever, the theme of the ride could never be dated. Just who are these people in Disney who come up with these cheap lazy ideas? How can they sleep at night, destroying as much as they do?

My hope is that it is still about movies with MM as your host/narrator since they can't use Walt. Obviously the focus would be on Disney and it's "subsidiaries".

I am just wondering if it was negotiated for Disney to give back theme park rights to Alien. If so it could show up somewhere else.

clemmo

Agree it should be a new build. I will say though maybe the thinking was that the new version of the park wouldn't fit with what GMR was portraying. I have very high hopes for this though a Mickey ride is long overdue as is a bigger tribute to Walt.

Biff215

GMR is about going into movies, the park will be about going into movies.
I agree, I'm not buying that excuse either. Indy will stand out as a much bigger theme clash and that's likely staying for now. GMR is a perfect fit for the space and it should continue to serve as DHS's anchor similar to what SSE does for Epcot.

This is more about time, cost, and labor than anything in my opinion. I do understand they feel they need something that can open in two years to help with SWL crowds, but a shorter Mickey ride might not offer much more in capacity, even though it would be new and popular. Certainly it's cheaper to use an existing building, but it's probably more about the expense GMR is to operate between the AA maintenance and CM's. If guest surveys aren't great then that should tell them it's time for an update.

So I can't really think of a single justified reason why GMR needs to go to make way for Mickey, but it won't matter unfortunately. Disney has the right to do what they want of course, it's just a shame that we can't have both when this park needs it so badly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom