News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Peter Pano

I would think if they are going the cheap route, why not overlay Rockin Roller Coaster with Guardians, update GMR with new show scenes and use the expansion pad off Sunset with the Mickey Ride? Seems like a win win win in my book.

With Energy, I feel they could come up with thousands of Original CREATIVE ideas for that space that would still tie to the Epcot Mantra.

THIS! I guess it just makes too much sense for today's Disney (in addition to not being the cheapest possible option of course).

Bocabear

As it stands there is a thought that Guardians would be more suited here than at Epcot. Which may be true for the park, but not the location.

Yes it's a movie attraction. Yes it's futuristic. But DHS needs all the help it can get, and GMR should be the all encompassing marquee attraction for the park. Which is why it needs to stay as an updated and refreshed GMR. Mickey is a perfect fit for the Art Deco of Sunset, on the Ranch expansion plot. GMR again needs to be the parks anchor. And Guardians could easily fit into a phase 3 elsewhere in DHS in a purpose built building to fit it's environment. It's not an Epcot IP.

But that's the most expensive option. Even if it might be the best.
And with all the new use of digital mapping, they could easily integrate that into the GMR scenes making them even more realistic and immersive... the Busby Berkely set would come alive with digitally mapped water effects flowing down the walls instead of the scrim, likewise almost all the other settings making them feel more like you have stepped into the movies than ever before possible... Just get rid of the Alien setting and the Fantasia setting and do something else more interesting...and write a new script...there has to be TONS of talent they could hire in Hollywood that could do this!

rnese

Sooner they get rid of the GMR and the Chinese Theater facade the better. The facade is just way too small. The park needs a massive icon such as the other parks at WDW. The attraction had a 27 year run and that's more than enough. They could put a GotG dark ride inside. For the icon they could have a huge Ferris wheel in the shape of a giant film reel.
I'm thinking possibly a giant hat!
Hey, since the building is going to house a Mickey attraction, didn't he famously sport some sort of blue sorcerer's hat once?
I may be on to something...;)

Lee

Adventurer
As it stands there is a thought that Guardians would be more suited here than at Epcot. Which may be true for the park, but not the location.

Yes it's a movie attraction. Yes it's futuristic. But DHS needs all the help it can get, and GMR should be the all encompassing marquee attraction for the park. Which is why it needs to stay as an updated and refreshed GMR. Mickey is a perfect fit for the Art Deco of Sunset, on the Ranch expansion plot. GMR again needs to be the parks anchor. And Guardians could easily fit into a phase 3 elsewhere in DHS in a purpose built building to fit it's environment. It's not an Epcot IP.

Yes. Agreed 100%.

Biff215

I would think if they are going the cheap route, why not overlay Rockin Roller Coaster with Guardians, update GMR with new show scenes and use the expansion pad off Sunset with the Mickey Ride? Seems like a win win win in my book.

With Energy, I feel they could come up with thousands of Original CREATIVE ideas for that space that would still tie to the Epcot Mantra.
Problem with Guardians at RnRC is you create more thematic issues on Sunset, not that it's perfect now. I fear ToT would never be safe if anything changes too much down there.

I'd refresh GMR and build Mickey in the animation courtyard once SWL opens and Launch Bay closes. I'd leave the Indy area for Guardians, but of course Iger is in a rush to see any Marvel in the parks so it won't likely fit their timeframe.

CinematicFusion

Except that Cameron went to Universal first and they turned him down flat when he wanted a whole land. Then he went to Disney and they took his deal as a knee jerk reaction to Harry Potter. It'll be amazing for us, the fans, but I don't think Disney is particularly ecstatic with this decision. Avatar sold a lot of tickets but not much merchandise. Where the real money from the movie (or attraction) is made.

I've looked everywhere and can't find any information on Cameron going to universal first with Avatar land. Does Cameron talk about this in a video somewhere?

I found this...
In early 2011, James Cameron was approached by The Walt Disney Company's chief executive officer, Bob Iger, regarding the possibility of Avatar-themed attractions in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.[11] Originally, discussions were held about creating an Avatar-themed attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, perhaps at the park's then-functioning Studio Backlot Tour.[12] Instead, Tom Staggs suggested to incorporate the film into a newly designed "land" at Disney's Animal Kingdom to improve the park's attraction roster.[12] On September 17, 2011, a long-term exclusivity deal was signed between Disney, Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.[11][13] This deal was officially announced to the public on September 20, 2011, on the Disney Parks Blog

No Name

Mickey is Walt's most famous creation, and to this day is a far more timeless and popular IP than anything else. And so I believe that a Mickey ride does indeed have business being at the center of the park. Shouldn't have to replace GMR, it should be built in addition to it. But he is the heart of the company, and so I wouldn't pull out my pitchforks and knives if his ride lands at the heart of the park.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the latest movie flick. I liked the movie. But it has no place in the company's history or in the history of movies. Would make a wonderful ride, but as Martin said, not in the center of the park. It has no umbrella aspect to it, and it is almost as far from the heart of the company or the heart of the movie industry as one could get.

Even from the standpoint of a dumb exec, a Mickey ride should clearly be the better option. Mickey is more popular, more timeless, and more of a merchandise seller that GotG ever was or ever will be. I suppose that's where the "dumb" part comes in, they don't realize even the most obvious things.

In the end, I root for The GMR to stay. But if something had to replace it... I'd hope they stick with the smarter choice.

Lee

Adventurer
You know, these days the Pepto Bismol castle is not the saddest part of that picture...

It is the trees that are no longer there in the hub. The hub really was a lot more picturesque and park-like when it was landscaped with the trees. Remember how they used to have all kinds of little lights year-round and sparkle at night?
Absolutely.
The old hub was SO much nicer....but...too late now.

Mike S

Echo Lake would be perfect for a little superhero area with GotG, BH6, and the Incredibles. How big is the ranch expansion plot?
I've looked everywhere and can't find any information on Cameron going to universal first with Avatar land. Does Cameron talk about this in a video somewhere?

I found this...
In early 2011, James Cameron was approached by The Walt Disney Company's chief executive officer, Bob Iger, regarding the possibility of Avatar-themed attractions in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.[11] Originally, discussions were held about creating an Avatar-themed attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, perhaps at the park's then-functioning Studio Backlot Tour.[12] Instead, Tom Staggs suggested to incorporate the film into a newly designed "land" at Disney's Animal Kingdom to improve the park's attraction roster.[12] On September 17, 2011, a long-term exclusivity deal was signed between Disney, Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.[11][13] This deal was officially announced to the public on September 20, 2011, on the Disney Parks Blog
Insider info from Orlando United.

DinoInstitute

I've said it before, and I still think it's the best "cheap" overlay option for GotG- Star Tours replacement. They could keep a lot of the basic futuristic framework of the current theme, and a lot can be done with a simulator. Considering it's possible Star Tours leaves when SWL opens, this seems like a relatively easy and cheap way to go.

JohnD

I agree. If they have to overlay something, I would pick RnRC. Please for the love of all things Disney, I hope they don't touch TOT.

JohnD

And with all the new use of digital mapping, they could easily integrate that into the GMR scenes making them even more realistic and immersive... the Busby Berkely set would come alive with digitally mapped water effects flowing down the walls instead of the scrim, likewise almost all the other settings making them feel more like you have stepped into the movies than ever before possible... Just get rid of the Alien setting and the Fantasia setting and do something else more interesting...and write a new script...there has to be TONS of talent they could hire in Hollywood that could do this!

You need to have a Disney scene or two. Perhaps a scene of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as the first animated technicolor movie? If there's a Mickey ride, they can remove the Fantasia scene and replace it with this. Keep Mary Poppins.

JohnD

I've said it before, and I still think it's the best "cheap" overlay option for GotG- Star Tours replacement. They could keep a lot of the basic futuristic framework of the current theme, and a lot can be done with a simulator. Considering it's possible Star Tours leaves when SWL opens, this seems like a relatively easy and cheap way to go.

Why would they get rid of Star Tours when SW Land opens? That's like getting rid of TSMM when TS Land opens.

DinoInstitute

Why would they get rid of Star Tours when SW Land opens? That's like getting rid of TSMM when TS Land opens.
No, it's not at all... TSMM is a part of TSL. SWL is being built in a completely different area of the park. It makes no sense at all or any thematic continuity to leave a Star Wars attraction outside of Star Wars Land.
Plus, it has already been rumored to be leaving.

JohnD

No, it's not at all... TSMM is a part of TSL. SWL is being built in a completely different area of the park. It makes no sense at all or any thematic continuity to leave a Star Wars attraction outside of Star Wars Land.
Plus, it has already been rumored to be leaving.

Last I heard SW Land was around and behind Star Tours. Maybe someone can clarify with one of their maps?

rael ramone

You know, these days the Pepto Bismol castle is not the saddest part of that picture...

It is the trees that are no longer there in the hub. The hub really was a lot more picturesque and park-like when it was landscaped with the trees. Remember how they used to have all kinds of little lights year-round and sparkle at night?

I think the best aspect of the Pepto Bismol castle was the fact that they did it at a time when temporary tacky add-ons really were temporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom