News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

CinematicFusion

Sorry, guys, the best superhero movie is and always will be Superman: The Movie. :)
Superman: The Movie was solid. One of John Williams best. Still hear it played in the parks. Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman...awesome.
Otisburg????
105861_2.jpg

blueboxdoctor

I hope you haven't read the reviews for Suicide Squad on Rotten Tomatoes! :jawdrop:

Oh I just ignore them. X-Men: Apocalypse got bad reviews and I liked it, same goes for Batman vs. Superman. Deadpool had really good reviews and I didn't care much for it (it was funny, but none of the lines or scenes were memorable, it was all just sort of one liners but not substance).

Then I see a movie with better reviews like Midnight Special or Love and Friendship and don't like either of them (just staying with the movies I saw this year, if not I'd put Avatar as a highly rated movie I don't like at all).

flyerjab

Maybe and maybe parts re-imagined. Yet again depends who wins the knife fight in Flower Street.

Interesting. Any chance Lasseter saw what happened to TSL and got involved at all? The difference between the art at D23 and the latest version is striking in a bad way. My interest level dropped considerably when I saw the effects that the cuts had on it. I was hoping he would have seen it and fought to get that back closer to how it was originally presented.

Bocabear

When you are starting out with an idea that has already been done several times, and none of the other versions are particularly compelling...and your answer is "well this time we are adding a rollercoaster" and then diminishing the quality of the end result due to budget cuts....and pushing it off years into the future, I don't think anyone can have particularly high hopes for this... At this point I would rather they scrapped the whole thing and went back to the drawing board to come up with something new and fresh...and theme the new coaster to match...

HauntedMansionFLA

Interesting. Any chance Lasseter saw what happened to TSL and got involved at all? The difference between the art at D23 and the latest version is striking in a bad way. My interest level dropped considerably when I saw the effects that the cuts had on it. I was hoping he would have seen it and fought to get that back closer to how it was originally presented.
I hope Lasseter got involved. Toy Story is one of hís kids and I would hope he wouldn't want another sub par TSL at the parks. He would be one that would benefit the parks if he would become CEO. He worked in the larks when he was young. He made comments about seeing broken attractions when touring the larks with executives pointing out it was broke the last time he was there. One would hope they are trying to plus this land.

DinoInstitute

When you are starting out with an idea that has already been done several times, and none of the other versions are particularly compelling...and your answer is "well this time we are adding a rollercoaster" and then diminishing the quality of the end result due to budget cuts....and pushing it off years into the future, I don't think anyone can have particularly high hopes for this... At this point I would rather they scrapped the whole thing and went back to the drawing board to come up with something new and fresh...and theme the new coaster to match...
Honestly, the original design for TSL could have been a lot better and made more efficient use of resources. While I'm still looking forward to it, I would rather it take longer and they work out a better project than what we have in store now.

Stitch1804

If it was me, I would use the Theatre where we wait before getting in for a medium length show, something similar to Mickey's PhilarMagic, and use the building of the GMR to build another attraction.

But it's not me, so it will never happen.

Last edited:

CanadianGordon

I'm amazed with all this discussion. So fast and utterly depressing. I'm hopeful it will turn out well. Glad that the facade would get kept. I ended up when I went to HS last year for vacation getting a really really bad actor in the gangster. Really ruined the effect. Really wish they'd do a Mary Poppins ride one of these days already.
Mickey will have to do. I suppose.

DinoInstitute

Hopefully one that includes moving Buzz from TL to TSL
I know they never would, but I would like that. The park could use a good omnimover, it's entire story is that it's a toy play set so it would fit so much better, and there's a nice plot between the alien ride and SWL that won't be used. Plus, I don't think the "shooting" style clash with TSMM would be an issue in this land as it's about toys and playing; it makes sense. Again, not something likely to ever happen, but a TL update and more in TSL would be pretty great.

NothingRhymeswithOrange

I know they never would, but I would like that. The park could use a good omnimover, it's entire story is that it's a toy play set so it would fit so much better, and there's a nice plot between the alien ride and SWL that won't be used. Plus, I don't think the "shooting" style clash with TSMM would be an issue in this land as it's about toys and playing; it makes sense. Again, not something likely to ever happen, but a TL update and more in TSL would be pretty great.

It would be a nice addition and allow TL to finally get its much needed love that has been lacking for years. Moving Buzz and Laugh Floor should be something that Disney looks into because a) it adds additional rides to a park that is in need of guest eaters b) room to create a new future attractions for TL c) because it just makes sense

Mike S

PotC WDW - 13 months.

Tower with Sunset Blvd. - just under 2 years.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

And fans defend their current timelines as if they're normal and how it's always been.

Smh
Maybe and maybe parts re-imagined. Yet again depends who wins the knife fight in Flower Street.
I hope reimagined means the whole thing is tossed out and replaced with a better concept. Still rooting for Pixar Place.
On paper (IMO) this was an excellent idea. We will see if the rides are great and the land is just as immersive. Time will tell but this land at night has the potential of being a game changer.

Getting the rights to Avatar did two things.

One, It filled the need for that fantasy land section we were promised back in the late 90's with Beastly Kingdom. Now Animal kingdom can say they have lands from the past, present, and fantasy.
Maybe no one cares about the movie in 20 years...but the world that was imagined is fantastic and a perfect fit for Animal kingdom. If Disney had created this same concept, called it Beastly Kingdom and said it was a fictional planet displaying the possibility of animal and plant life in the universe. I believe few would have complained. Tip the hat to Cameron, movie was OK....world was incredible. The world is coming to AK.

Two, it took the concept away from Universal. Had Disney built Beastly Kingdom and it was a success...Universal could have theoretically trumped them with Avatar Land. Disney didn't want more egg on their face after Haryy Potter. I wouldn't doubt James Cameron just yet, he knows how to make films (or copy them :) )

This land could fail..but not because of what happens to the films. It will fail because the rides aren't good or the land just isn't that immersive and the night walks prove dull and uninspiring.
Lets hope that isn't the case. This is a bold move by Disney, I want it to work. AK is my favorite park.
Except that Cameron went to Universal first and they turned him down flat when he wanted a whole land. Then he went to Disney and they took his deal as a knee jerk reaction to Harry Potter. It'll be amazing for us, the fans, but I don't think Disney is particularly ecstatic with this decision. Avatar sold a lot of tickets but not much merchandise. Where the real money from the movie (or attraction) is made.
This man knows what's up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom