News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

brb1006

Even though I love GMR, I would sacrifice it for a Mickey ride in a heartbeat. I would prefer it didn't have to replace anything and the GMR could have been updated, but that's probably asking for too much nowadays.
I think it might go back to the concept of you riding past the years of Mickey which had been in the drawing board for decades now.

JohnD

Completely disagree. I rode it last week with my two young kids and a packed ride vehicle. Everyone appeared to love it, young and old, and everything looked the best it has in years. The script might be a little tired, but that's a cheap fix if needed. It might not your favorite, but I think saying "it has run its course" might be a bit strong.

Again I'll say the only logical reason to replace this ride is if the park's theme is changing entirely. And that is unnecessary and would be a huge mistake IMO.

You rode it last week. In July. It's hot outside. With air conditioning inside. How long is the ride? 30 minutes? Yeah, I would go on that and the 45 minute Energy as it currently exists on a hot summer afternoon in July also.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Good guess....
But, from what I know, the whole ride is a trip through Mickey's greatest(ish) hits.
A rare departure from the "something goes horribly wrong" template.
Local positioning system. Used in trackless rides.

Okay, so I have to ask, even though I assume the answer is no:

Is this a similar type of ride as Ratatouille in Paris? If so, clever comparing this to Spiderman...

I would assume the answer is no, since I thought Universal has exclusive rights to that Ride System in the US. But, maybe that's changing or Disney is making a deal with universal?

Seems like that building/that ride system would be a good fit for a moving trackless 3d screen/set piece mickey adventure...

Brian Swan

I still think it would be nice to have the great Disney movie ride... and have show scenes with movies (in a timeline) for popular or well known movies including some not represented at the parks currently. Steamboat on up - last scene could be changed with video of some of the latest movies that year or currently playing (which would help promote as well)

sorta like the Disney history movie ride
This is what I have been hoping for ever since MGM bowed out of the park. With the hundreds of animated and live action films, TV shows, and theatrical shorts, there's enough material to fill SEVERAL GMR-sized ride buildings...

orky8

Is this a similar type of ride as Ratatouille in Paris? If so, clever comparing this to Spiderman...

I would assume the answer is no, since I thought Universal has exclusive rights to that Ride System in the US. But, maybe that's changing or Disney is making a deal with universal?

Seems like that building/that ride system would be a good fit for a moving trackless 3d screen/set piece mickey adventure...

Yes. This is that ride system. Ratatouille uses LPS. Universal has exclusive rights to Kuka arm on a track (Harry Potter), though I don't know how long that exclusivity was for.

Matt_Black

This is what I have been hoping for ever since MGM bowed out of the park. With the hundreds of animated and live action films, TV shows, and theatrical shorts, there's enough material to fill SEVERAL GMR-sized ride buildings...

Just because you CAN fill several GMR-sized buildings doesn't mean you SHOULD. Yes, Disney has a lot of material, but the only the cream of the crop should be used for the parks. I do not need a ride with scenes from That Darn Cat!, Home on the Range, or Blank Check, to name a few.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Yes. This is that ride system. Ratatouille uses LPS. Universal has exclusive rights to Kuka arm on a track (Harry Potter), though I don't know how long that exclusivity was for.

Didn't Universal have exclusivity on the combo 3d screen/trackless system though? I thought that was why Universal leaned on it so heavily in their parks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Yes. The ride system is very much like Ratatouille. As will the big new Star Wars ride be. Universal have no say; Sea Worlds Antartica uses it.

The Spiderman comparison was more about level of intensity.

orky8

Didn't Universal have exclusivity on the combo 3d screen/trackless system though? I thought that was why Universal leaned on it so heavily in their parks.

I don't know of any Universal ride that is trackless. The trackless ride system is a disney thing (started with Energy, actually, I believe and used by GMR). It was taken to a whole new awesome level with Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo. Orlando has been too cheap to use it, but it looks like we are finally getting not one, but two LPS rides in the same park no less.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Spiderman is track based ;)

Lol, well, interesting. I forgot where I read that or if I'm just making #### up. Anyway, this sounds incredibly promising. By chance, I just got back from DLP and the Ratatouille ride was executed perfectly. Something similar with Mickey through his evolution as a character could be absolutely excellent.

Here's to hoping they don't cheap-out on it/make it shorter as the ride plans get closer to completion like they did with Seven Dwarves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom