Disney Night Kingdom

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I still don't think people want to hang out with exotic animals (as much) after what happened at SeaWorld
You would be wrong.

How many surfers have stopped surfing because of a shark attacking another surfer?

How many people have stopped skydiving because a sky diver gets killed?

How many people stop driving because someone was killed in a car accident?

There is an inherent risk in every thing you do.

Pioneer Hall

I'm also one of the people who is glad to see this plan get shelved (and hopefully scrapped). It does seem like the idea was something out of Rasulo's mind with his continious push for expensive boutique experiences that bring Disney in a different way. While not all things he created/approved were bad, it is clearly obvious that the Hawaii resort, propsed Washington DC resort, Adventures by Disney, etc show that he was more about creating a brand instead of maintaining one that already was proven. Night Kingdom would have just been a continuation of the Rasulo world of Parks and Resorts.

MousDad

^ Excellent points, and ones that make me really wonder if we're ever going to see anything built on that prime land over in National Harbor. It be a shame for the developer to have to take down all those "Welcome Disney!" murals.

_Scar

I seriously doubt it. People know the risks going into something like that.

Give it 2 more weeks and no body will remember that.:lol:

Doubt it.

Unfortunately it was the biggest news at the time of occurence and you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear the news. I bet it will be something remembered for a very long, long time. It's still a hot topic at my school- and nobody talks about theme parks. And I bet it will be in the JibJab video for 2010 and those specials in a decade looking over the year. :lol:

I think people will be hesitant about massive wild animals, but would Night Kingdom really bring guests in danger of wild animal attacks? No, doubt it.

SirGoofy

Doubt it.

Unfortunately it was the biggest news at the time of occurence and you'd have to be living under a rock not to hear the news. I bet it will be something remembered for a very long, long time. It's still a hot topic at my school- and nobody talks about theme parks. And I bet it will be in the JibJab video for 2010 and those specials in a decade looking over the year. :lol:

I think people will be hesitant about massive wild animals, but would Night Kingdom really bring guests in danger of wild animal attacks? No, doubt it.

Still, people will not hesitate to get near animals like this. People are drawn to them, sometimes because of attacks like what happened at Seaworld.

Wilt Dasney

A lot of people seem to hate this idea. What are the reasons, specifically?

I wasn't wild about it when it was being discussed, but I can't really say why other than being vaguely uncomfortable with the more exclusive nature of it...but that doesn't make a lot of sense, because most people can't afford to eat at V&A's either and it doesn't bother me having it there.

Basically I can't come up with a good reason for why I didn't like the idea, so I'm wondering if anybody else can. :lol:

rkelly42

I also glad that it was shelved. I would much rather have seen the money used to update the other parks. Like FLE, or adding a new country to Epcot or even adding a new land to AK with more rides.

_Scar

A lot of people seem to hate this idea. What are the reasons, specifically?

I wasn't wild about it when it was being discussed, but I can't really say why other than being vaguely uncomfortable with the more exclusive nature of it...but that doesn't make a lot of sense, because most people can't afford to eat at V&A's either and it doesn't bother me having it there.

Basically I can't come up with a good reason for why I didn't like the idea, so I'm wondering if anybody else can. :lol:

It might throw off a couple of days because you figure you got to stay up late to do this, you won't want to wake up early and it might kill off any day you might have just to watch a hippo get fed, use night-vision, and use a zipline. I'd rather go to DAK. :lol:

Still, people will not hesitate to get near animals like this. People are drawn to them, sometimes because of attacks like what happened at Seaworld.

Well, no matter what, the average guest will not be in danger of an attack. :shrug:

tomman710

I HATED this idea, mostly from the standpoint of;

1. They have enough work to do on existing parks, no need to spread their ideas/resources too thin,

2. They have enough work to do on existing parks, no need to spread their ideas/resources too thin,

3. They have enough work to do on existing parks, no need to spread their ideas/resources too thin,

Wilt Dasney

I'd pay good money to poke a hippo with a stick :king: :lookaroun:lookaroun

*pictures Jer as a character on Family Guy*

------
"Well kids, this is worse than the time I poked that hippo with a stick at Disney World."

*flashback*

*animated Jer tiptoes up to sleeping hippo*

"Haha...watch this, everybody."

*hippo immediately swallows Jer from shoulders up, legs flailing and screaming*

"OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD MAKE IT STOP!!!! OHGOD IT'S EATING MY EYES!!!! I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SEA WORLD!!!"

*camera pans over to Mickey and Goofy*

Goofy: "Gawrsh, should we help him?"

Mickey [shrugging]: "Meh...he already paid."

*flash back to present shot outside Jer's house, jaunty music playing*
-------

RSoxNo1

I liked the idea behind Night Kingdom or Jungle Trek or whatever it was gonna be called. Rasulo loved the idea of a Discovery Cove type experience where much of the initial investment can be recouped very quickly.

I think much of the discontent was that there didn't seem to be a demand for it amongst the fanboys. We looked at the reported investment (I heard #s between 500 million - 1 billion) and saw that the money could be better suited fixing problems in the existing parks rather than further expansion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You don't think they would have made it "Disney", or that it was a bad idea to begin with, Martin? :lol:
Mainly for the reasons mentioned above. Money better spent elsewhere. Creating another tier of guest who can afford it, well above the normal party night concept, which in itself is a touchy subject. Plus it was Rassulos pet project he wanted to be remembered by, and damn everything else. Like Eisner and the Institute. He trashed Lake Buena Vista for a personal crusade he liked personally so thought everyone else should like too.

imagineer boy

Eh, Night Kingdom grew on me when the rumor was around.

Sure it would be expensive, but where else are you going to get to interact with animals like that? Save for spending a fortune on a real safari.

Plus it's something for my age group, an age group that has basically been forgotten by Disney at WDW.

You know, I think it would be a good concept for a new experience at AK. But its certainly not a strong enough concept for its own park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom