Disney names new parks leadership roles

Walt d

"Powell’s sudden departure had many speculating that she was leaving the company after lackluster attendance at Disney’s new Star Wars-themed lands at Disneyland and Disney World. Chapek called the reports “erroneous.”

“I will tell you that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has exceeded every expectation we’ve had,” Chapek said. “There is no there there to this being anything but a runaway success.”

OK Bob, if you say
So what will this do for the 50th? And can we get the old tomorrow land sign back ??

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not necessarily.... he just led Disneyland through the project stardust. Could be they want to make WDW sparkle before the 50....
Follow the money...your talking about a 12-18 month launch point.

That’s been determined. Anything else is “minor”

But I’ll grant you that the sycophants love “minor”...the benefit is always way bigger than the cost to Disney

brb1006

True. I can think of other memories from DLR he could improve at WDW. Fantasmic being one of them.
Seriously, the Maleficent Dragon deserves a new look. I'm surprised she still looks like this for 21 years!
fantasmic.jpg

gerarar

Premium Member
True. I can think of other memories from DLR he could improve at WDW. Fantasmic being one of them.
Seriously, the Maleficent Dragon deserves a new look. I'm surprised she still looks like this for 21 years!
fantasmic.jpg
If Fantasmic! does finally get its long awaited refurb/reimagining, I hope it's not a plain cut copy of DL F! 2.0.

Make ours unique! Swap out Pocahontas for Moana, upgrade our dragon, add dancing WoC-style fountains, reducing the bubble sequence in general.

Upgrade the pyro (or keep as is), don't downgrade it. Don't reduce the number of characters in the boat/finale. Don't change the tempo of the music. Don't put in something weird like Pirates. All of these were things that I didn't really like with DL's reimagining.

I really hold Fantasmic dear to my heart as it was the first show in WDW that made me believe in Disney magic as a child. I just hope they carry it over to any refurb they do to it..

DoleWhipDrea

Disneyland Resort has done very well with Josh. The parks have been well-maintained and loved on the west coast, and the east coast is in dire need of the same TLC. WDW is going to be in great hands with someone that cares.

Rebecca comes from merchandising, so I’m a little concerned about Disneyland. This isn’t a new play for how TWDC does executive moves throughout the company. However, considering the reseller problems Disneyland has especially struggled with in the past few years, someone with her background may be able to tackle such issues with a fresh mindset.

DGracey

D’Amaro has certainly had his fair share of exposure to the Florida operation. In addition to VP of AK, he led all resorts and ... WDW transportation.

He oversaw monorails, watercraft, buses and parking - and knows the system intimately.

So the serious lobbying for new monorails begins ... now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
D’Amaro has certainly had his fair share of exposure to the Florida operation. In addition to VP of AK, he led all resorts and ... WDW transportation.

He oversaw monorails, watercraft, buses and parking - and knows the system intimately.

So the serious lobbying for new monorails begins ... now.
Not his call...like at all.

DGracey

Honestly, the major red flag to D’Amaro’s new role is his past history as SVP of Commercial Strategy for WDW (marketing strategy, sales, pricing and business development). His previous job was to literally monetize as many experiences as possible to drive revenue growth across all segments. And, he oversaw Golden Oak and luxury experiences.

We often look to these announcements with modest optimism that these folks will invest in the resort, when in reality they are often chosen based on past history of mostly maximizing revenue.

However, we hope his extensive history and previous WDW experience leads to new and positive things for the most magical place on earth.

Hope springs eternal.

Lilofan

Looking at all the movement of the soldiers that run the parks and resorts and Kojak's statement that SW is going well, and Powell being the sacrificial lamb to take the fall one must ponder... Telly Savalas's twin brother wants to exert his power and influence to his 2 new guys who run DLR and WDW and has foreseen that the level of fat of that Powell occupies is no longer needed. The future of WDW is bright but it's leadership future was not. Kalogridis, 50 year Disney veteran, started as a young Florida kid just trying to look for his first job, rose up first through operations, openly gay and an influence in the local community. That would be a PR bad dream if he got laid off. Just create a new promotional position for him so he can graze in the grass field before he retires and Disney puts his quote or smiling face on Main Street at MK. He's a swell guy... Enter younger Josh the future of WDW. Create a new position for the old guy, and change him out with the younger guy. For DLR, that's an approx 3 year revolving door temporary position with Rebecca coming from Chapek's world. Can Josh make an impact at WDW? From a PR perspective, yes. But he still has to ask Mommy and Daddy for money to fix and improve things.. But like what a lot of savvy executives do, --- cut that, change that, to improve this...

Last edited:

COProgressFan

Looking at all the movement of the soldiers that run the parks and resorts and Kojak's statement that SW is going well, and Powell being the sacrificial lamb to take the fall one must ponder... Telly Savalas's twin brother ....

This made me laugh. First time I've heard that comparison but it works -- Chappy definitely has the same look!

Oriolesmagic

I'll wait for those with more knowledge of the individuals and the situation to weigh in with their thoughts, but this has me feeling cautiously optimistic about the future of WDW.

JohnD

If Fantasmic! does finally get its long awaited refurb/reimagining, I hope it's not a plain cut copy of DL F! 2.0.

Make ours unique! Swap out Pocahontas for Moana, upgrade our dragon, add dancing WoC-style fountains, reducing the bubble sequence in general.

Upgrade the pyro (or keep as is), don't downgrade it. Don't reduce the number of characters in the boat/finale. Don't change the tempo of the music. Don't put in something weird like Pirates. All of these were things that I didn't really like with DL's reimagining.

I really hold Fantasmic dear to my heart as it was the first show in WDW that made me believe in Disney magic as a child. I just hope they carry it over to any refurb they do to it..

I really wouldn't know specifics other than WDW's needs an upgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom