News Disney names D’Amaro as Chairman Disney Parks Experiences and Products

DisneyOutsider

I was gonna point out the head of DVC was fired for it or cost a ridiculous amount of money...and it’s taking longer to sell than any dvc in 20 years

Neither of those points speak to the quality of the resort and the sustained level of service at Aulani. It blows away anything we have here stateside by a country mile.

DisneyOutsider

Being a part of DisneySea is not a setting advantage?!

Aulani isn't the only hotel in Ko Olina.

The Hong Kong Disneyland hotels also have a great location IMO.

Yeah and MiraCosta isn't the only hotel in Tokyo. Beachside in Hawaii is just a whole different level of setting.

Even if you took away the beach from Aulani and subsequently removed the theme parks from the other resort locations, the advantage of Aulani would be even more pronounced. It's just such a well-executed resort experience from top to bottom.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure what you’re talking about, but my comment still remains true
The promotion/search for capable executive at Disney has been a near disaster covered in the business press for 25+ years.
They don’t have a great track record.
Neither of those points speak to the quality of the resort and the sustained level of service at Aulani. It blows away anything we have here stateside by a country mile.
It speaks to the success of the property to accomplish business objectives.

Which means they likely wouldn’t have built it if they had it to do over again.

That isn’t a “crown jewel” in today’s financial terms

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honest question... have you experienced either?
I can’t answer that question. Because I’m a paying customer...and that’s the arrangement. I purchase product looking for commensurate value. Not “experience” it. Experience Is a noun to me...not a verb. They need to deliver what they charge for...it’s not a “journey” where Disney and I are equal partners. Pet peeve of mine.

But if I were...the answer is “yes”

I was at aulani for 4 days and it is very nice. But that doesn’t mean it’s a smash success for Disney.

I put it more on the level of Euro...they got more than they bargained for when they charged in there.

DCL is double the cost of the competition. And there is excellent competition contrary to myth on the dcl forums.
They’re very nice...but highly overpriced and lacking in some ways. Just like the others. I’m not talking carnival or Norwegian either.

So I have moved away from them...but will probably go on one or two more in the future.

That’s ok. My opinion and they vary. We need not debate it.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

It speaks to the success of the property to accomplish business objectives.

Which means they likely wouldn’t have built it if they had it to do over again.

That isn’t a “crown jewel” in today’s financial terms

I'm speaking purely about the guest experience that these offerings provide. Granted, Aulani has taken way too long to sell and the original cost estimates were way too low (which caused them to clean house) and I'm sure they aren't giddy about that.. but Aulani certainly isn't losing money these days nor are they having trouble booking rooms cash or otherwise (pre-covid at least).

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Iger's attitude towards the parks has been this from the start:

- Theme parks are too expensive to operate
- Major investments in theme parks should be avoided unless absolutely necessary
- It is easier and better to develop and promote extra-pay options than infrastructure that does not have its own revenue stream (rides)
- Theme parks are a marketing tool for other divisions. Not building rides based on Disney movies is a waste of time
- People will pay whatever we ask them, because the people who like theme parks are dumb and have no taste

Until the big Bobs leave, Josh (or anyone else) will not change this attitude. Especially if budgets have been slashed.
That is a pretty ridiculous list of assumptions.

DisneyOutsider

I can’t answer that question. Because I’m a paying customer...and that’s the arrangement. I purchase product looking for commensurate value. Not “experience” it. Experience Is a noun to me...not a verb. They need to deliver what they charge for...it’s not a “journey” where Disney and I are equal partners. Pet peeve of mine.

But if I were...the answer

🤣 🤣 🤣

Okay... moving on

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm speaking purely about the guest experience that these offerings provide. Granted, Aulani has taken way too long to sell and the original cost estimates were way too low (which caused them to clean house) and I'm sure they aren't giddy about that.. but Aulani certainly isn't losing money these days nor are they having trouble booking rooms cash or otherwise (pre-covid at least).
I’ll grant you that point.

But I’m not sure that’s what management thinks...which will influence future decisions to not build someone such as this at this point. They have over cost cut the “guest experience” for quite a while now. It’s a policy, not a coincidence. They won’t be building more aulanis

peter11435

I'm sure Aulani is nice, but there are other nice Disney hotels.
Nobody is saying there aren’t other nice Disney resorts, there obviously are. That doesn’t change the fact that the product they offer in Hawaii is superior to any other hotel they currently operate. If you haven’t been there and stayed there then you can’t possibly understand.

Point is that DCL and Aulani are some of the highest quality offerings the company has currently, and they truly are representative of what Disney used to be. Are they expensive, yes, but so is WDW. When compared to the costs associated with a WDW vacation, the service, amenities, and quality of DCL and Aulani make them both a superior value.

Aulani may not be the financial success the company hoped, but that’s irrelevant when discussing the guest experience, quality, service, and value. Further you can’t blame Jeff for the faulty financials of a property that was developed years before he was leading the group. You can recognize that it continued to be well run and well cared for at a level not seen at other Disney resorts.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I won't even touch on the others but that 2nd and last bullet, come on...
Those are probably the strongest points if you look at the last 15 years of management moves.
They’re not assumptions and most have been expressed publicly.
Exactly. I’ll never be able to understand anyone who doesn’t believe they’re trying to max out the pricing.

Or is everyone an “armchair capitalist” again today? 🙄

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
They’re not assumptions and most have been expressed publicly.
I know your feelings about Iger from other threads, so to each their own. I recommend people pick up a book and read from the horse's mouth as well. My views changed when I read his most recent book. I understand that he will make his tenure sound as shiney as possible but there are some great points made, along with some interesting things that happened in his time there.

As long as Disney stock trades on Wall Street, it really doesn't matter who is sitting in that CEO seat, shareholders will always be the prevailing voice. So yes desert parties, budget cuts, etc are part of that, its the world we live in.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom