Disney movies you think are underrated?

Brer Panther

Original Poster
What Disney movie do you think is really, really underrated?

I vote for Winnie the Pooh. If only Disney realized that it bombed at the box office because they put it up against the sat Harry Potter movie, not because it was traditionally animated and didn't have enough celebrities voicing the characters.

216bruce

For Walt era live-action- "Follow Me Boys" and "So Dear to My Heart."
Animation....definitely "Hunchback" and "Emperor's New Groove."

Animaniac93-98

If I had to pick a top ten list, it would be:

- Child of Glass
- The Fighting Prince of Donegal
- Fun and Fancy Free
- The Great Locomotive Chase
- The Happiest Millionaire
- The Horse Without a Head
- the "Man in Space" trilogy of TV episodes (Man in Space, Man and the Moon & Mars and Beyond)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes
- The Sword and the Rose
- Under Wraps

I'd put Candleshoe on the list too, but its been awhile since I saw it.

prberk

All good choices. I would add "Night Crossing" to that list, and perhaps "Tex."

I remember that, in "Night Crossing," they only put the "Walt Disney" name at the end, to kind of surprise people. It worked in the theatre (surprise), but not necessarily in the marketing.

Animaniac93-98

All good choices. I would add "Night Crossing" to that list, and perhaps "Tex."

I remember that, in "Night Crossing," they only put the "Walt Disney" name at the end, to kind of surprise people. It worked in the theatre (surprise), but not necessarily in the marketing.

I didn't put "Tex" on my list because the movie was fairly well reviewed by critics, same with "Never Cry Wolf". I've seen "Night Crossing" too, and would recommend it.

Believe me, I could have made that list much longer. There are many movies that Disney fans should explore beyond what gets released as a Platinum or Diamond edition DVD.

SeanWM48

tell you what, i liked tomorrowland. bombed at the box office but i dug it.

same with lone ranger. great soundtrack, great effects. i'm a western kinda guy but i guess nobody else was that summer. loved it

MaxsDad

Meet The Robinson's was the first to come to my mind.

It combines a heart touching story of "family-is-who-you-make-it", with the principles of one of Walt's primary visions: Keep Moving Forward.

216bruce

tell you what, i liked tomorrowland. bombed at the box office but i dug it.

same with lone ranger. great soundtrack, great effects. i'm a western kinda guy but i guess nobody else was that summer. loved it
Yes! And Lone Ranger was a great train movie too. Tomorrowland, maybe someday folks will get it...like Rocketeer. Saw it four times and caught something new every time. Generated a lot of thoughts about the state of things. Great movie.

Magenta Panther

Treasure Planet comes to mind. Really gorgeous animation and some imaginative spins on the Treasure Island tale. Long John Silver is a triumph both as a cyborg and a character. Great concept. David Hyde Pierce was superb as Dr. Doppler (and the character animation for him was top-notch). I'm not sure why it failed. Too bad.

erasure fan1

For me it's The Princess and the Frog by a long shot. Disney marketing failed big time on this one. It should have have been much bigger if only they didn't market it as a princess movie. My second choice would be Prince of Persia. I really thought they did a nice job capturing the feeling of the game. It's too bad it did so poorly because the 2nd and 3rd games story was really good.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The Fox and the Hound - I really like foxes and the last 20 minutes really made the movie for me, not to mention the plot's message
The Black Cauldron - a fun adventure story with great action and a great (and terrifying) villain
The Great Mouse Detective - basically has all of the elements of a renaissance movie plus an excellent villain in Ratigan, voiced by Vincent Price
Oliver and Company - incredibly catchy soundtrack featuring Huey Lewis, Billy Joel, and Bette Midler along with some very cute scenes
(basically all of the 80s except for Roger Rabbit and Little Mermaid)

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - epic adventure with a fun cast and a civilization that's forgotten its own history and culture
Treasure Planet - another epic adventure (in space!) with a fantastic relationship between Jim Hawkins and John Silver featuring great action scenes with the occasional funny moment

I'm not sure if I would call The Aristocats and Robin Hood underrated because while they do tend to get scathing reviews, both have a very sizable following (and are in my top 10 Disney movies).

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Treasure Planet comes to mind. Really gorgeous animation and some imaginative spins on the Treasure Island tale. Long John Silver is a triumph both as a cyborg and a character. Great concept. David Hyde Pierce was superb as Dr. Doppler (and the character animation for him was top-notch). I'm not sure why it failed. Too bad.
Treasure Planet was competing at the box office with Harry Potter 2, Star Trek: Nemesis, and the big one: The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers. Combine that with the fact that it doesn't follow the traditional Disney animated formula, and its no surprise it failed despite how awesome it is.

Fox&Hound

Bolt- great movie with heart. Not sure why it's so hated.

Robin Hood gets no love although it's one of my favs for sure =) Def slow and a little disjointed but not the disaster people make it out to be

But the best of the forgotten??? Emperor's New Groove. Man, that is a funny funny movie with true wit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom