Disney Merchandise: Is Our Society "Cheap"

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I went down... fully intending on spending good money on items but seriously, limited options. I loved the 40th anniversary stuff, very nice designs. Unfortunately, there are very few normal tee shirt materials anymore. I purchased the Dole Whip shirt as I love DW's but also the weight of the tee is just right. The retro shirts are all super thin material that only fits really fit people. I'm not huge but I'm also no twig so it's too form fitting.

And my wife was a completely different story, everything has glitter on it and it's trying to be "fashion" but failing miserably. She purchased ZERO.
I have to say I think that it's hit or miss. The retro stuff is definitely making a surge, but it doesn't seem like there is ever enough of it. Hopefully they can't keep it on the shelves and Disney will get the hint.

I also have to say that I do actually like the thinner\worn material shirts, lightweight and comfortable. They definitely do tend to be a bit form fitting and I'm not a twig or really overweight but.....that's why I buy 'em a couple o' sizes bigger...

tracyandalex

I think the overall quality of the general t-shirts has decreased especially for the price. We rarely buy the Disney shirts anymore because of this. We used to buy a lot of resort specific stuff, but there isn't too much of it anymore. When we buy the thin shirts we usually get a size up so it's not too clingy and wash it with the delicates to make it last. If we buy DD3 a t-shirt we buy it 2 sizes too big because at $25 a piece it is not worth it for her to wear it for 2 or 3 months then out grow it. As I sadly stated in another thread we can find cheaper and cuter Disney clothes at Walmart, Target and Old Navy.

Tom Morrow

For a while, almost all you could buy at WDW were t-shirts like the second image on the OP. I think their shirt designs have gotten tremendously better in the last few years. Most of the stuff I see on the shelves now is not tacky and is tasteful, and also caters more toward the fans and not "joe tourist".

They still sell the hideous, tacky shirts of course, but there will always be a market for those as long as some people have no taste.

TheBeatles

original, simple and classic designs are slowly making their way back.

in terms of material, WDW shirts are hit or miss. surprisingly, the hanes brand of t-shirts offer a slim fit and sufficient length.

the original disney world logo has made a come back by way of merchandising, but it's not always used in a way that supports the product or makes sense. in my opinion, you either go back to using that logo or you don't.

TheBeatles

I have to say I think that it's hit or miss. The retro stuff is definitely making a surge, but it doesn't seem like there is ever enough of it. Hopefully they can't keep it on the shelves and Disney will get the hint.

I also have to say that I do actually like the thinner\worn material shirts, lightweight and comfortable. They definitely do tend to be a bit form fitting and I'm not a twig or really overweight but.....that's why I buy 'em a couple o' sizes bigger...

while the retro merchandise is nice to see, it's either distressed--looks cracked or "old"-- or uses a variation of an existing design. i'm at the point where i've had my fill of "retro" and would prefer newer designs to take hold or older designs to be utilized appropriately and not modified (not being made to look old and not having a character slapped on it).

here is a good example.... i have a if you had wings pin from the year WDW turned 35. for some reason, stitch is able to slide up and down the waterfall shown on the pin.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
while the retro merchandise is nice to see, it's either distressed--looks cracked or "old"-- or uses a variation of an existing design. i'm at the point where i've had my fill of "retro" and would prefer newer designs to take hold or older designs to be utilized appropriately and not modified (not being made to look old and not having a character slapped on it).

here is a good example.... i have a if you had wings pin from the year WDW turned 35. for some reason, stitch is able to slide up and down the waterfall shown on the pin.

LOL! Yikes...Stitch boogie boarding around.on what appears to be an otherwise nice " if you had wings? " pin sorry to hear that..

I like the old worn look. I've got a few that I love and wear to death: a sweet "Mr.Toad's Wild Ride" shirt, a nice subtle MK shirt with the mk logo on the front and the old school WDW logo on the back, and Epcot "21st century started on.."

Spikerdink

but we need to see normal weight stuff... everything is thin and doesn't wash well. I love the hanes "beefy" tees which they use for some, but most of it is super thin

My feeling exactly. I will usually splurge on a shirt if it really catches my attention - but the last three I really liked felt so thin I thought they would fall apart after one or two washes. So I passed.

Spikerdink

They were selling this shirt on the Disney Store site earlier this year...But, it hasn't come back.
$(KGrHqEOKnIE6u64wkhVBPi02h!wUw~~60_35.JPG

I WANTED this shirt soooooo much. But when I went to Mouse Gear in Epcot, all they had was a small. And by no means am I a small. Was really bummed out when this one was out of circulation.

acishere

That is why I stick to non-clothing merchandise. The collars on their shirts last 2 washes. They start out looking sloppy and get even worse over a short amount of time. I only wear shirts with fabric like that to bed or when doing yard work. The rest of the time I want to look presentable. And yes I do think that Carly Simon song is about me.

Redsky89

I never even thought about their stuff being tacky till I read this post. Now I totally see it and I think its kinda true. I have a retro space mountain t-shirt I love wearing and I love the designs with the retro looks I've seen at Epcot. A lot better then this other stuff your talkin bout. I'll wear a white t-shirt and jeans any day I'm not picky but that stuff I wouldn't be caught dead in lol.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
yeah... really take a second to look over the stuff when you pick it up. Maybe I'm picky, but I think its more that I really value quality.

I'd rather pay 40 for something made in the USA with quality then 19.99 for Malaysian garbage. Every ornament I picked up was either tacky or had paint flaws. Again, sorry if I'm nitpicking here but those are things I notice.

Jimmy Thick

I personally think the world is made up of people with different likes and tastes and one person "retro" look is the same as another's "tacky" look. There are more people than there are Disney shirts of all types and guess what, Iam sure they all sell well regardless.

Jimmy Thick- Just what else can people complain about?

lebeau

WTH?

I don't see a single princess on the second shirt?!? And there is so much empty space. How did that happen?

(yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

lebeau

yeah... really take a second to look over the stuff when you pick it up. Maybe I'm picky, but I think its more that I really value quality.

I'd rather pay 40 for something made in the USA with quality then 19.99 for Malaysian garbage. Every ornament I picked up was either tacky or had paint flaws. Again, sorry if I'm nitpicking here but those are things I notice.

I bought a Splash Mountain T-shirt I really liked on our last trip. The darn thing unraveled when I got it home. It was a $30 shirt!

I'll think about that before buying another T-shirt at WDW.

Kuhio

I agree with this, especially the issue with Jack Skeleton - No real love or hate but: no where in the parks but yet seen throughout shops in Liberty Square. Strange.

Having a bunch of Jack Skellington/Sally/NBC merchandise is an opportunistic way of catering to NBC fans without expending the money and effort it would take to put an actual attraction -- or even an overlay, like the Haunted Mansion Holiday -- in WDW.

It actually seems a bit of a slap in the face to have NBC stuff in Liberty Square and close to the Haunted Mansion; for guests who are aware of the HMH at DL and TDL, it's sort of a reminder that "this is the place where it would go if we were inclined to add it-- but we're not."

Kuhio

I WANTED this shirt soooooo much. But when I went to Mouse Gear in Epcot, all they had was a small. And by no means am I a small. Was really bummed out when this one was out of circulation.

WDW stores often seem to be understocked in larger sizes and overstocked in smaller sizes. Over my last couple of trips, I've overheard several CM/guest interactions centered on a lack of shirts in the L/XL/XXL/etc. range.

You'd think merchandising would have picked up on general trends in guest size and accordingly adjusted the size distribution of apparel, but it doesn't seem to have happened to the degree necessary to keep up with demand.

loveofamouse

I agree. I like touches of Disney, not in-your-face Disney. I'm an adult. lol. Ive always liked Disney merch. that has subtle designs or a vintage look or are about a part of the parks that is not a huge icon or well known.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom