Disney Merchandise: Is Our Society "Cheap"

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Serious question here and observation... and I'll admit, I'm the high brow minimalist who scoffs at Thomas Kinkade and glorifies De Kooning and Donald Judd, but Disney merchandise...

why is everything so busy, tacky, and cheap looking?

Will the company ever come back to simple designs, because as we know... sometimes less is MORE

THIS vs (2nd Image - )

matterhorn_vintage_disney_tee-resized-600.jpg

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
LOL..dear God...WDW threw up on that shirt.

I'm all about the minimalist retro looking shirts - as a matter of fact that's my all time favorite type of souvenier, but
the truth is I see more of that 'What else can we fit into this cluttered mess" type of shirt on people's bodies than fine displays of form and 'function' like that matterhorn shirt.

dreamfinder

I think they will. There has already been a slow movement away from a complete homogenization of merchandise. More so out in DLR than at WDW, but there have been small inroads into the merch at WDW as well. Disneys Vault 28 and Wonderground gallery are two great examples of this. Not necessarily minimalist, but a step back towards variety.

It's all a matter of the market they are targeting and the suits in charge. On vacation more people seem to be willing and ready to buy a bright souvenir that screams "I was here!" and use it as a badge of honor showing where they went. And most merch was started to get clumped into the assorted categories that they can produce for less, and sell across the parks.

They are starting to notice that people are willing to pay more for quality and I think over time will start to shift back towards a more diverse merch lineup across the board.

ExtinctJenn

Y'know I have to agree with this and I'm definitely not "high brow" or minimalist in any way. I really dislike the shirts like the ones in your 2nd photo... always have. I tend to steer in the direction of the shirts that have that almost "faded" look to the picture (kind of like the monorail one I'm wearing in my avatar pic). This last trip I picked up the one that had each of the original EPCOT pavillion logos on it and that was even a stretch because it's a bright crazy teal color.

Now, all that said... Disney does some amazing marketing research and they put out what will sell. I think this is why today you see options like both of your photos. They are bringing back the understated stuff like the new Dole Whip and Turkey Leg shirts I saw recently but still have the others there too. A quick look at the shirts released for the 30th anniversary of EPCOT shows that too.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I went down... fully intending on spending good money on items but seriously, limited options. I loved the 40th anniversary stuff, very nice designs. Unfortunately, there are very few normal tee shirt materials anymore. I purchased the Dole Whip shirt as I love DW's but also the weight of the tee is just right. The retro shirts are all super thin material that only fits really fit people. I'm not huge but I'm also no twig so it's too form fitting.

And my wife was a completely different story, everything has glitter on it and it's trying to be "fashion" but failing miserably. She purchased ZERO.

Vader2112

Have to agree with dreamfinder some of the old scholl stuff is starting to show up. Love my plain ole Mickey Ringer tee..

Vader2112

I would agree with you everything lately is an organic cotton blend thin and streches out easy. My prior comment was on design not material.

rsoxguy

I think that the word I would use for today's WDW merchandise is "homogenous". Mostly bland, mostly similar, and mostly cost effective.

littleroo

Serious question here and observation... and I'll admit, I'm the high brow minimalist who scoffs at Thomas Kinkade and glorifies De Kooning and Donald Judd, but Disney merchandise...

why is everything so busy, tacky, and cheap looking?

Will the company ever come back to simple designs, because as we know... sometimes less is MORE

THIS vs (2nd Image - )

matterhorn_vintage_disney_tee-resized-600.jpg

I agree completely! Not trying to be a snob but it is very hard to find something 'classic'! There is a store in DD that carries golf shirts and clothes with small decals that I really like. If there was more clothes like this, I would probably spend more than I can afford!

luv

I'm not a fan of the retro look.

Have to admit that I like the newer one more...but I wouldn't buy a shirt that busy. I do prefer something much less garish.

The real reason I quit buying shirts, though, is that the quality just sucks. As mentioned, they're terrible after being washed once or twice. And the sewing is frequently very poorly done. Heck, many of them look terrible on the rack!

I'll buy shirts again when I know they'll hold up.

Cmdr_Crimson

I would seriously would love them to remove all things "JACK" Related This means Sparrow & Skelington..Infact..Let's remove Anything Depp & Burton Related. \It's really annoying and probably the most merchandise they have backed up Everywhere!..

Why have Nightmare merch when there is nothing related to the movie at the parks.

PoTC is nothing but Movie merch and nothing simple like it use to be.
Like this one...It's the friggin Sparrow Skull..How about a standard pirate skull..Sheesh!
400003322473MS

What is with these stupid Mickey & friends "Artsy looking shirts" These can go as well! There EVERYWHERE in the Resort!
images

Now THIS! I would go for...Simple...Easy...And very much to the point..YOU DON'T NEED A GIMMICK!

*Jumps off Soapbox*

Britt

I TOTALLY agree!! I wanted to get the boys some shirts to wear for our trip but couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on these ugly, gaudy tee's.

Instead, I'm making them very simple, very nice tee's.

And I found an awesome clip art image of Space Mountain, which is my favorite ride, to make my own shirt. I love this image!
index_0clip_image002.png

When DID we get so cheap?? : ( WHO likes those kinds of shirts?

George Lucas on a Bench

The second shirt in the original post looks like a bootleg you'd find at a flea market.

One of my favorite shirt designs is the gray Haunted Mansion with the Mickey ears in the sky. I keep it at the front of my closet, however I don't wear it much. The fit of the shirt is not at all flattering to a slim person's form and the material is a bit too heavy. That's one of my biggest complaints. Why do only chicks get the lighter shirt material and fits that aren't terrible and boxy?

Britt

The second shirt in the original post looks like a bootleg you'd find at a flea market.

One of my favorite shirt designs is the gray Haunted Mansion with the Mickey ears in the sky. I keep it at the front of my closet, however I don't wear it much. The fit of the shirt is not at all flattering to a slim person's form and the material is a bit too heavy. That's one of my biggest complaints. Why do only chicks get the lighter shirt material and fits that aren't terrible and boxy?
OOO! Do you have any pics of it? That sounds like a neat shirt!

(Believe me, sometimes we want heavier fabrics...the lighter ones cling to the areas we might now want clung to...lol But I understand. Im not a fan of the starchy feel mens shirts usually come with. or lack of movement in them)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom