Disney may be after us....

KeithVH

Fearmongering, plain and simple. Now, if they actually documented real case instances I might view it differently. Otherwise, I consider this nothing but pretend journalism - it's like someone is looking to cause a stir and CREATE a story.

MarkTwain

Fearmongering, plain and simple. Now, if they actually documented real case instances I might view it differently. Otherwise, I consider this nothing but pretend journalism - it's like someone is looking to cause a stir and CREATE a story.

That was my impression too... the comments on the articles are worried and angry that their videos might be removed, but the article never states a case where this has actually happened, only that it could... which truthfully, has been the case since the dawn of the internet.

Must have been a slow news day. :rolleyes:

Figment1986

I love how the example of making money leads to attraction magazine's hall of presidents video... it's not the full show and they have press credentials...

I'm surprised the private home video DVDs being sold online for a profit didn't make the article though... thats more of a grey area than youtube.

WDW1974

I love how the example of making money leads to attraction magazine's hall of presidents video... it's not the full show and they have press credentials...

I'm surprised the private home video DVDs being sold online for a profit didn't make the article though... thats more of a grey area than youtube.

Very good point, Figgy.

I've often wondered why it is some folks (we all know who they are because they their products on virtually every Disney site) are able to profit off of selling Disney's intellectual property in such a blatant fashion.

This is the same company that has gone after day-care centers for painting murals of Mickey, Pooh and Ariel on the walls.

But make a DVD of MVMCP ... or Horizons ... or New Urinals of the MK ... and Disney Legal isn't shutting you down?

It's very strange.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Save the Brand man, just save the Brand and worship the mouse.

They know where you live and pretty soon theyll know where your at.

Dun Dun Dun..................

ewensell3

No, but I did read this: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201001/1655/

It would seem to me the disclaimer about photos/video is simply there in the event someone captured something the company did not want to share (ride malfunction/injury footage, backstage areas, etc), if the vid was being used for commercial gain, or if someone obtained the shot in a dangerous manner (holding a vidcam on a roller coaster).

Otherwise posting a vid of your kid sharing a heartfelt innocent moment with a character should be safe, especially since you're providing tons of free advertising for the company.

Now if only they'd confiscate the flash photos taken on dark rides.

lwalker8

What a dumb article. What would they go after you for? Monetary damages? Profit made off of the video? The lawsuit would be thrown out of court and they know it. They are just playing wording games with a dumb pseudo journalist.

The ones who should be worried are sites like flashmountain who are portraying Disney in a negative light and could be held liable for damages in a lawsuit. Anyone posting free Disney advertisements on youtube has little to be concerned with. Two easy questions to know if you're liable to being sued by a company: 1. Am I harming this company in any way? 2. Am I profiting off of this company's copyrights?

Jimmy Thick

I strongly agree for Disney to stop people posting videos if said people are trying to make money off it. And I feel they will, and should if it becomes prevalent.

Disney invests millions of dollars into creating their rides and experiences, they should be the only ones to see the fruit of their labors.

heartodisney

picture.php

You can almost smell and hear lawyers for both sides jumping on this bandwagon for the money....

Most corps online know better than to tear down personal video content and the like, they cant ever get rid of all copyright stuff. Theres plenty ride videos and such online that have never been taken down

Now if they want to take down the video of Pluto dealing with a brat and such then thats fine, Disney don't want people to think the characters assault kids nor do they want people having arguments in MK popping up on Youtube ect.

Disney if anything have taken to embracing somewhat the online world, sure they try to provide their own versions but they still can co-exist with the rest of us. After all if they really wanted to do away with fan stuff they could of closed down the various fansites and forums years ago. As it stands the only negative fan action I can remember is Jim Hill being banned from doing his Disneyland Tours a few years back...

Chape19714

What I want to know is it really so important to capture your ENTIRE vacation on film and share it on youtube. Stop living vacation behind your camera lens.

enoe01

I agree with this statement 100%. And to top it off the DVDs are at least 5 years old and off poor quality. I dont see how they once sold them for $100.00.

mrksmpsn

Why Film It

What I want to know is it really so important to capture your ENTIRE vacation on film and share it on youtube. Stop living vacation behind your camera lens.

I used to live my vacation behind the camera lens to capture everything we were seeing. Then, when we got home, we could relive our vacation. After awhile you begin to notice that you spent all your vacation looking at Disney through an eye piece on a camera rather than enjoy the experience "wide screen" as it were.

However, today I now have vacation videos of attractions that no longer exist and that we enjoyed so much. Now I appreciate the time I took back in the day to record what I was seeing. I can now both enjoy the Disney of days gone by and the Disney that exists today (which I don't find worth much to record video of though).

I like seeing the vacation videos on YouTube. Sometimes others get better shots of Disney than I was able to get. But I can see where Disney could find those online videos problematic as they could possibly eat into their copyright and park attendance (though I always find seeing the videos makes me want to go to the parks to see things live).

The videos...

While it wouldn't surprise me that they might someday go after people who post whole ride videos via social media, I doubt they'll waste the time.

However, I can understand them wanting to block the posting of certain content. The Pink/Purple collision is a perfect example. While there is no video anywhere of the actual crash, a search of it on YouTube still brings up the video of the trains sitting in TTC immediately after the crash. It's not something that portrays Disney in a happy/magical manner so I'm surprised they haven't tried to get rid of that video. Granted it's so in the public domain at this point that it will be hard to make it go away.

fosse76

No, but I did read this: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201001/1655/

It would seem to me the disclaimer about photos/video is simply there in the event someone captured something the company did not want to share (ride malfunction/injury footage, backstage areas, etc), if the vid was being used for commercial gain, or if someone obtained the shot in a dangerous manner (holding a vidcam on a roller coaster).

I'm not sure Disney would have any legal argument regarding the filming of ride malfunctions/accidents or backstage footage, since it doesn't infringe any intellectual property. As private property, they can say "no cameras," etc. but that's not the same as infringement. And if the footage falls under the Fair Use doctrine then Disney certainly would not have any legal argument. The shows and rides ARE, on the otherhand, completely protected by copyright.

Otherwise posting a vid of your kid sharing a heartfelt innocent moment with a character should be safe, especially since you're providing tons of free advertising for the company.

That's the thing, though. That footage isn't capturing a newsworthy event, and is also capturing copyrighted material. What people don't seem to realize is that if copyright holders don't vigorously protect their material, it can fall into the public domain.

Now if only they'd confiscate the flash photos taken on dark rides.

This is where 74's valid claim about Disney's inconsistencies is most apparent. How can Disney be shocked when a trip though Pirates of the Caribbean is on YouTube when they actually ALLOW people to take the footage in the first place? Perhaps they should just ban photographs/videorecording on those attractions. Personally, I find it much harder to enjoy an attraction while trying to get a good picture anyway, so I wouldn't mind an outright ban.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think Disney would have a difficult time actually proving that people are making a profits off the posting of these videos online or even in these forums. And if people are simply sharing them without profit, where is the damage to the DIsney brand coming from?:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom