News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringrinngghost

Airbags were added because three point seatbelts with no head restraint don't protect your head from hitting the steering wheel (driver), dashboard (passenger) or sides of the vehicle. It is protecting something different. Without a seatbelt, an airbag isn't going to prevent you from flying through the windshield or being thrown into the roof of the vehicle.
Lets look at this, when they we're introduced (Seatbelts) in the early 1950s they were unpopular. It wasn't until 1966 when the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act was enacted that mandated seat belts. The Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 required that all cars and light trucks sold in the United States have air bags on both sides of the front seat.

Trauma

But still more effective than nothing, correct? I can understand why officials or businesses would be hesitant to jump right back into social distancing again. Many businesses are still recovering from last year's lost revenue. Disney has been increasing capacity and accepting park reservations for guests to coincide with that increase. How do they notify guests that they no longer have a park reservation for their trip because they decided to reduce capacity in order to allow for social distancing? Theoretically, they could implement social distancing indoors again without reducing capacity, but good luck trying to walk anywhere with more people spilling out of ride entrances and into walkways than we're seeing now. It's a logistical nightmare and I can absolutely understand why Disney why Disney isn't allowing the absence of perfection to prevent them from taking any sort of positive action now. Delaying masks while executives debate whether and how to increase social distancing without kicking people out of the parks is wasted time. While I often agree with Mike Ehrmantraut when he says, "No half measures," the reality is that the saying, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good," exists for a reason.
It’s not perfect being the enemy of good.

Significantly less effective.

It’s a measure to give the appearance of safety while continuing to operate at full capacity.

More like

“Don’t let actual proven safety measures get in the way of revenue”.

- Bob Chapek ?

Gringrinngghost

Disney putting this policy in place is nothing more than trying to make you feel good about being jammed in with crowds during a Pandemic.
Disney's is more robust than Universal Orlando which is entirely safety theater. Guests are merely encouraged not required, Team Members on the other hand I'll let the this part of the document speak for itself. .
1627928638112.png

lewisc

If seatbelts are anywhere near protecting you "from certain types of injuries in close to 100% of crashes" then why do we need airbags?

You can't lawfully elect not to wear a seatbelt. You can do it until you get caught, get tickets, and if you get enough tickets you may well lose your license. Regarding pulling people over for phones: the phone law in Florida is new. There is often a grace period before enforcement becomes more routine. In fact, it was the same with seatbelts. At first, it wasn't enforced at all, then it was only enforced as a secondary violation (you had to get pulled over for something else in order to get a seatbelt ticket.) Now they can give you a seatbelt ticket anytime. (May vary from state to state.) It's the law, not "the law."

Attack the analogy all you want, the point is made: some protection is better than no protection, even if it is uncomfortable, and even if it hardly ever comes into play. Not every car accident or covid case would result in death regardless of seatbelts or masks. But it's possible in both cases every day.

While we're on the subject, I know someone who had their arm torn off at the shoulder by a seatbelt in a car accident. (It was reattached.)
People over age 18 are not required to wear a set belt in New Hampshire.

DisneyCane

Ummm...what you quoted means what I said.

to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business

I guess they can just sit in the parking lot?
You wouldn't be asking to allow access. You'd be asking to allow the vaccinated to go maskless.

If Disney wanted to deal with the enforcement and logistics they could allow people who show proof of vaccination to be exempt from wearing a mask.

You are wrong about this. It isn't remotely vague. You can ask about vaccination status as long as you don't refuse access to, entry upon or service from your business if they answer "no" or "I'm not telling you."

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My preference is that this pandemic is over and we don't have to wear masks or distance from each other. I look everyday for facts that will support that. But I'm sensible and can distinguish between what is fact-driven and what is said in order to support politics. Believe me, I would rather not worry (like half the country isn't worried), but the reality is we need to worry, and if we as a country did what the experts have been pleading with us to do for months now, this thing would be over.

I did my part, I wore my mask, got vaccinated when urged too. I'm done. If people need to be protected then it's up to them to protect themselves, I'm not doing it for them anymore, they made their choice. If you aren't vaccinated- stay home. If your children aren't vaccinated then what the heck are you doing bringing them to Disney during a Pandemic in the first place for.
Disney putting this policy in place is nothing more than trying to make you feel good about being jammed in with crowds during a Pandemic. That picture proves it. Now granted they are looking to the CDC, but come on, if you still follow what the CDC says after almost 2 years of revisions and back tracking well then I guess you are willing to believe anything.
Like I said, if you are there and you aren't vaccinated then walk in a different direction or better yet- be responsible for yourself and don't go, stop expecting others protect you from your own stupidity.
The 99+% chance of survival should keep everybody calm to begin with. But we NEVER hear about that. Nor the recovery rate. Just new cases, new cases, new cases, surging, new cases....surging, new cases, new cases, surging, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The 99+% chance of survival should keep everybody calm to begin with. But we NEVER hear about that. Nor the recovery rate. Just new cases, new cases, new cases, surging, new cases....surging, new cases, new cases, surging, etc.
Because that’s the problem…the error…the need for correction

what does your news cover?

the car accidents or the ones that park in the driveway without notice?

the shooting victim or the people across town at the grocery store?

the soldiers they fly home to ft Bragg after 9 months of uneventful patrols or the kid in an ied incident 2 weeks after he got off the plane?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
You can elect not to wear a seatbelt. Although it's "the law" to wear one you're not going to lose your driver's license if you don't. You're pretty unlikely to even get a ticket for it. People texting while driving on I-95 are very obvious and I've yet to see somebody pulled over for that.

This seatbelt analogy with masks is not very valid. A seatbelt will protect you from certain types of injuries in close to 100% of crashes. Masking, especially with real world mask materials and real world "technique," isn't going to stop anywhere near 100% of transmissions.

In the CDC powerpoint, they say 40%-60% effective for source control and 20%-30% for personal protection. Nothing like seatbelts and not even close to the protection from the vaccines, even against Delta.
The so-called "seatbelt analogy with masks" was NOT about comparing seatbelts to masks. It was about how government intervenes to protect people from the consequences of their actions/inactions.

Ponderer

1. Do you really think health officials and doctors don't advise overweight people to lose weight? This is a false argument that tries to deflect attention away from the issue at hand.

2. Weight alone doesn't determine whether or not someone is at risk for serious complications or death from this virus. Should asthmatics just stop having asthma? Should people with compromised immune systems just decide to have a normal immune system so they have a better chance of the vaccine working as well for them as it does for others?

3. For many people with certain medical conditions, losing weight is not easy. You know what almost everyone CAN do? Wear a mask.

Yes. Literally 60 percent of this country has a comorbidity that makes it harder to deal with COVID. So many people would rather write them off instead of wearing that mask.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
1. Do you really think health officials and doctors don't advise overweight people to lose weight? This is a false argument that tries to deflect attention away from the issue at hand.

2. Weight alone doesn't determine whether or not someone is at risk for serious complications or death from this virus. Should asthmatics just stop having asthma? Should people with compromised immune systems just decide to have a normal immune system so they have a better chance of the vaccine working as well for them as it does for others?

3. For many people with certain medical conditions, losing weight is not easy. You know what almost everyone CAN do? Wear a mask.
I get it. Masks are not fun. They're hot, they're clumsy, they muffle your beautiful singing voice (speaking rhetorically here) and they taste funny.

There are some who do better (or feel they do better) without masks. As I like to put it, "Then perhaps you'd be more comfortable delaying your visit until masks are no longer required." Mickey Mouse wants you to wear a mask. Don't make Mickey sad...
1627932263227.png

... wear a mask.

Chip Chipperson

It’s not perfect being the enemy of good.

Significantly less effective.

It’s a measure to give the appearance of safety while continuing to operate at full capacity.

More like

“Don’t let actual proven safety measures get in the way of revenue”.

- Bob Chapek ?

So you'd be fine with Disney revoking your Park Pass reservation in the name of social distancing? Because unless there is a simple solution to that existing issue then there is no way to adequately enforce social distancing that doesn't decrease the ability to maintain distance elsewhere. For all we know, they are having meetings discussing if and how to increase distancing as we discuss it on this board. Very few of us would be privy to those talks, though. There are a lot of things to consider besides the ride queues. What do they about dining reservations that have been booked if they have to increase distancing for indoor dining? If there are fewer dining reservations available, where do people go for food? Quick Service locations don't have an indefinite capacity to prepare and serve food. Every decision about social distancing is more complicated now because they don't have the "luxury" of starting from scratch after the parks being closed for nearly 4 months. So they could spend days or weeks debating what to do, but waiting to implement indoor masking until all other decisions are made makes absolutely no sense. They may ultimately decide to do nothing else besides indoor masking, but I wouldn't bet money on them having already reached a final decision on that path.

disneygeek90

As far as dining goes, I'm not sure there's many at 100% capacity right now. I went to a few TS restaurants over the weekend (Hacienda and Kona) and all tables were not being sat. Some tables still had the "reserved for social distancing" signs on it.

There's also natural cancellations due to people changing dining plans. They could simply let those run its course and just not open up any after it's dropped.

Lilofan

Yes. Literally 60 percent of this country has a comorbidity that makes it harder to deal with COVID. So many people would rather write them off instead of wearing that mask.
Wear that mask! It is the right thing to do. Also the ones profiting from it is China that manufactures more than half of the world's masks. In the first quarter alone the global disposable mask market was $75 billion dollars.

Ponderer

Wear that mask! It is the right thing to do. Also the ones profiting from it is China that manufactures more than half of the world's masks. In the first quarter alone the global disposable mask market was $75 billion dollars.

True, but complicated. China actually shut down export of masks for most of last year - 3M and Honeywell could make masks there but China kept them for themselves. A bunch of American companies stepped in with domestically-made masks. But as demand fell with the vaccination effort, many of these domestic companies had a glut on their hands and started to shut down operations and lay off workers. Then China took advantage of this, marching back in in recent months with much cheaper masks and undid a lot of the US-based progress of the last year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True, but complicated. China actually shut down export of masks for most of last year - 3M and Honeywell could make masks there but China kept them for themselves. A bunch of American companies stepped in with domestically-made masks. But as demand fell with the vaccination effort, many of these domestic companies had a glut on their hands and started to shut down operations and lay off workers. Then China took advantage of this, marching back in in recent months with much cheaper masks and undid a lot of the US-based progress of the last year.
…forced labor always tends to give you an edge

Tony the Tigger

You wouldn't be asking to allow access. You'd be asking to allow the vaccinated to go maskless.

If Disney wanted to deal with the enforcement and logistics they could allow people who show proof of vaccination to be exempt from wearing a mask.

You are wrong about this. It isn't remotely vague. You can ask about vaccination status as long as you don't refuse access to, entry upon or service from your business if they answer "no" or "I'm not telling you."
Nope. You’re splitting hairs. You can ask if someone is vaccinated; you cannot ask for proof as that would constitute a “vaccine passport,” or substantially similar.

And we all know how well certain people do with the honor system.

Again, in limited exceptions where I’ve known and trusted the person for years, we’ve done that. But that’s not something I can put into a policy; and it wouldn’t be evenly applied by different employees.

I am no longer making exceptions with Delta crazy here. (Oh, well. I even went to the gym for a few weeks. That’s over.)

Thinker of Things

How about if you see me then walk in a different direction
My plans were made when Disney had no outdoor mask requirements, I'm not changing my plans because they are trying to protect the stupid.
15D7F381-331D-41B2-9777-8A5385D3DF20.jpeg

Be sure to come back and let us know how that turns out for you! (Probably much like the last time Maleficent decided to be a hothead.) smh

C0FE175A-087C-4AC7-945C-A6C22D9F07DB.jpeg

PS - it sounds like you’re about to have a magical time on vacation. Just do us all a favor and don’t take your wrath out on the cast members when they are enforcing the policy of the company that you knowingly decided to visit with said policy implemented prior to your vacation.

True Blood Cheers GIF

SingleRider

So you'd be fine with Disney revoking your Park Pass reservation in the name of social distancing? Because unless there is a simple solution to that existing issue then there is no way to adequately enforce social distancing that doesn't decrease the ability to maintain distance elsewhere. For all we know, they are having meetings discussing if and how to increase distancing as we discuss it on this board. Very few of us would be privy to those talks, though. There are a lot of things to consider besides the ride queues. What do they about dining reservations that have been booked if they have to increase distancing for indoor dining? If there are fewer dining reservations available, where do people go for food? Quick Service locations don't have an indefinite capacity to prepare and serve food. Every decision about social distancing is more complicated now because they don't have the "luxury" of starting from scratch after the parks being closed for nearly 4 months. So they could spend days or weeks debating what to do, but waiting to implement indoor masking until all other decisions are made makes absolutely no sense. They may ultimately decide to do nothing else besides indoor masking, but I wouldn't bet money on them having already reached a final decision on that path.

Leaving seats empty on Soarin’ would most likely increase loading times as well, further reducing capacity. All belts have to be fastened on that ride, even on empty seats. I rode it with the plexiglass dividers and all seats in my section were empty on the previous flight with the seatbelts fastened and locked, and I had to ask a CM to unlock my row so I could buckle in. They also had to go around and fasten all the belts on the empty seats before each flight, which requires CMs to be uncomfortably close to guests. All of this takes extra time between each flight.

Ponderer

…forced labor always tends to give you an edge

True. And even if they played fair - you know, without the pesky slave labor - they’d have a 5-fold advantage in manpower for any task. (That’s why Apple and others stay there - it’s not that the workforce is cheap, as other countries are cheaper than China now. It’s that they can bring legions of skilled and unskilled workers to any task, with cities that are literally built and/or organized as supply chains.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom