News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Why is it that you can’t accept that they got new data from a study that suggested that vaccinated people can possibly transmit Covid?

Do you have more information to back your unfounded questioning of one of the premiere infectious disease research organizations on the planet?

Do you have the credentials to explain why I should listen to you over them?

Just asking questions…
You seem plugged into this, can you link me the data the CDC cited about transmission from vaccinated individuals.

pdude81

There were other variables also. No study has been able to be done where it compared masks vs. no masks as the only variable. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty to what degree masks reduce spread.
And this is part of the problem with this whole pandemic. It's constantly changing, and even the delta variant is many sub-types that have minor variations. Everything is changing all the time, so relevant health organizations are trying to get ahead of it based on modeling and adjustment to factors in real time. But people keep saying they want to wait and see who is right. However, by the time you finished studying this in a traditional way it's beyond too late.

Also the only way to truly study things in the way you describe would be challenge trials with various individuals and that's just not going to be approved if anybody even dared to look into setting one up. Also there is enough data on this with other viral particles in years past to know it is likely to help, so studying masking is a waste of resources until such a time that community spread is low nationwide.

Touchdown

You seem plugged into this, can you link me the data the CDC cited about transmission from vaccinated individuals.
It’s not published yet, but here’s the full transcript. 11:44 is where she refers to it.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, there has been rudeness towards other posters, and people have ventured into the political arena. I am not giving out individual warnings - your ability to participate will just stop. If that happens, it will be because you have ignored warnings.

Trauma

It’s not published yet, but here’s the full transcript. 11:44 is where she refers to it.

Ok im dumb I admit that.

All I see is her talking about rare cases.

No actual numbers.

I would like to know what they consider rare.

Heelz2315

Ok im dumb I admit that.

No actual numbers.

^^ THIS!!! We talking about 1%, 10%? What? Here's all that she said. Until I see a # I won't change anything. She uses words like "rare" and "could". I don't see anything definitive. If you're asking people and businesses to change and support you, I better see some numbers.

"What we’ve learned in that context is that when we examine the rarer breakthrough infections and we look at the amount of virus in those people, it is pretty similar to the amount of virus in unvaccinated people. We are now continuing to follow those clusters to understand the impact of forward transmission of those vaccinated people. But again, I want to reiterate, we believe the vast majority of transmission is occurring in unvaccinated people and through unvaccinated people. But unlike the Alpha variant that we had back in May, where we didn’t believe that if you were vaccinated, you could transmit further, this is different now with the Delta variant and we’re seeing now that it’s actually possible if you’re rare breakthrough infection that you can transmit further, which is the reason for the change"

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Can I still wear my bespoke Bob Chapek mask? It seems to yield top class service. Only at Disney themed recreational areas for some reason, but much of life is a mystery to me.

Touchdown

Ok im dumb I admit that.

No actual numbers.

Dr. Walensky: (11:44)
What we’ve learned in that context is that when we examine the rarer breakthrough infections and we look at the amount of virus in those people, it is pretty similar to the amount of virus in unvaccinated people. We are now continuing to follow those clusters to understand the impact of forward transmission of those vaccinated people. But again, I want to reiterate, we believe the vast majority of transmission is occurring in unvaccinated people and through unvaccinated people. But unlike the Alpha variant that we had back in May, where we didn’t believe that if you were vaccinated, you could transmit further, this is different now with the Delta variant and we’re seeing now that it’s actually possible if you’re rare breakthrough infection that you can transmit further, which is the reason for the change.

No exact numbers but seeing as they have evidence it’s not zero they took steps to limit in areas with really high transmission and areas with a large amount of unwillingly not vaccinated people (school.) If this proves to be true and confirmed expect a roll back nationwide, if other studies dispute this expect this rule to be dropped again.

Trauma

What we’ve learned in that context is that when we examine the rarer breakthrough infections and we look at the amount of virus in those people, it is pretty similar to the amount of virus in unvaccinated people. We are now continuing to follow those clusters to understand the impact of forward transmission of those vaccinated people. But again, I want to reiterate, we believe the vast majority of transmission is occurring in unvaccinated people and through unvaccinated people. But unlike the Alpha variant that we had back in May, where we didn’t believe that if you were vaccinated, you could transmit further, this is different now with the Delta variant and we’re seeing now that it’s actually possible if you’re rare breakthrough infection that you can transmit further, which is the reason for the change.

No exact numbers but seeing as they have evidence it’s not zero they took steps to limit in areas with really high transmission and areas with a large amount of unwillingly not vaccinated people (school.) If this proves to be true and confirmed expect a roll back nationwide, if other studies dispute this expect this rule to be dropped again.
Yeah I’m not suggesting some conspiracy, I’m just saying it’s important to understand what rare is.

Touchdown

Yeah I’m not suggesting some conspiracy, I’m just saying it’s important to understand what rare is.
Not saying you are, but they are above all a public health agency and when they are unsure of their data and further investigating it they are always going to err on the side of caution. The fact they didn’t roll this out nationwide has me hopeful this study is an outlier and eventually limits rescinded.

DisneyCane

In explaining this new guidance which makes a complete about face from guidance they released two months prior, I think it is reasonable to expect a quantification of how they define "rare." If rare means they think 1 in 100k fully vaccinated people can potentially end up to be a spreader there is absolutely no justification for this guidance change. If rare means they think 1 in 100 fully vaccinated people can potentially end up being a spreader then I'll at least be open to discussion.

Trauma

It's nearly been that way for a year, since the majority of states have reopened and dropped restaurant restrictions.
Ok I respect your opinion.

My state just dropped the mask restriction in accordance with the CDC recommendations and the restaurants saw a large uptick in business.

I don’t own a restaurant but my brother does.

He knows many people in the industry at least locally all with similar experiences.

Trauma

In explaining this new guidance which makes a complete about face from guidance they released two months prior, I think it is reasonable to expect a quantification of how they define "rare." If rare means they think 1 in 100k fully vaccinated people can potentially end up to be a spreader there is absolutely no justification for this guidance change. If rare means they think 1 in 100 fully vaccinated people can potentially end up being a spreader then I'll at least be open to discussion.
I would like to know for my own personal risk assessment.

yensidtlaw1969

Two caveots:

N95's are not a waste on an average person.
It's not that difficult to get a good fit - certainly easier than it is to get a good fit on a cloth mask, and that N95 will work better than any cloth mask. (yes, there was a big problem with citizens buying them up, when front line workers needed them most)

Cloth masks don't stop sick people from spreading covid.
At best, they reduce the rate of spread.
To what degree that reduction is out in the real world, there is little idea.
As you noted, in context my post was referring to the specific moment where N95's were scarce and desperately needed by medical professionals. I'm confused as why you felt the need to correct a statement that I didn't make since you immediately followed up by saying you understood what I was actually saying.

And yes, I said, in that post and as always, that Cloth Masks (and other, non-N95-types) reduce the spread. I never suggested that they stop it. The efficacy of different styles of masks is widely discussed, but you're right that because there is no control by which to compare it is tricky to tabulate the precise degree to which they have been effective.

It would of course be unethical to have a control group where COVID is left to run rampant without mitigation efforts simply for the sake of measuring how much better controlled variable groups do relative to that. Instead the best approach is to throw every possible precaution into practice in the hope that the Swiss Cheese Method is sufficient to stop the spread. Clearly the spread has not stopped yet, but we also don't have enough people actually following every precaution.

Trauma

Not saying you are, but they are above all a public health agency and when they are unsure of their data and further investigating it they are always going to err on the side of caution. The fact they didn’t roll this out nationwide has me hopeful this study is an outlier and eventually limits rescinded.
Here is what I am saying.

If me and 5 of my vaccinated Friends get together for poker tonight how concerned should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom