News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

October82

It's very frustrating that so many people refer to "wearing masks forever." It's just not helpful. If you want to have a more rational conversation, it might be helpful to think about what "forever" really means here. Something like, "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks for almost another full year" or "Or "otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until the WHO declares that they are not necessary." Or "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until children can be vaccinated." It might help to have a clearer discussion if these hyperbolic statements were reconsidered.

I guarantee that very few people are envisioning mask wearing into the year 3000 and beyond.

In the absence of political polarization on the topic, one of the major scientific takeaways of the pandemic is that masks actually are an effective tool for mitigating airborne transmission of respiratory viruses. We really should see masking for people who are ill or who are likely to be ill as a social norm going forward.

Last edited:

Crunchie9

I took the post to be pointing out the absurdity of Disney’s honour system and (perhaps) the flagrant disregard for the rules on the part of parents. It’s a legitimate observation/criticism that others have also voiced. I don’t see anyone “chasing after” the children themselves.
(I’m not going to force my child to wear a mask if I don’t have to)

sorry.

LittleBuford

(I’m not going to force my child to wear a mask if I don’t have to)

sorry.
And you're free to break the rules, just as I'm free to think it's not right that you and others are doing so. (And before anyway says "If you don't like it, don't go", please note that I have no intention of stepping foot in the parks until we have a better handle on the pandemic.)

Crunchie9

And you're free to break the rules, just as I'm free to think it's not right that you and others are doing so. (And before anyway says "If you don't like it, don't go", please note that I have no intention of stepping foot in the parks until we have a better handle on the pandemic.)
I am in the process of getting my second shot, but good luck explaining that to a child.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hey! Are things moving back in the direction where guests over 13 years o age are prohibited from wearing face coverings (for security and safety reasons) with the exemption caveat of "medical reasons" but those "medical reasons" are questioned and scrutinized to ensure they are legit?

COVID is still prevalent enough that it would be hard to make a case that wearing a mask to protect yourself from it isn't a legit medial reason.

SoFloMagic

I am in the process of getting my second shot, but good luck explaining that to a child.
"hey kiddo, I'm getting my shot so that can all get back to normal and we don't have to wear masks anymore. I can't wait until you get yours this fall and don't have to wear a mask but until then you have to wear it for a little bit longer but when we're inside"

Tom P.

So…you’re teaching them that it is OK to break the rules?
Yup. And I'm fine with that in this case. You know, not all rules are actually equal. I suspect there may be one or two that you have broken in your life too. I wonder what percentage of licensed drivers actually obey the speed limit at all times. I think kids who witness their parents speeding are likely to make it to adulthood without being sociopaths.

BTW, the reason I am fine with it in this case is because we know that Disney, retail stores, and so forth don't actually care if kids are unmasked. Or even unvaccinated adults for that matter. They've almost said as much. If they cared, there would be enforcement. Clearly, if a kid is under 12, they haven't been vaccinated. Disney could make them mask up. Heck, Disney could ask adults for proof of vaccination. The Florida rule doesn't allow them to require it for admission, but they could require it to be unmasked. Yet Disney allows everyone to run around the parks without a mask. And then there's their own cast members, where they could most definitely require proof of vaccination. They're not. They are telling us by their actions what they really want. They're paying minimal lip service to the "unvaccinated should wear masks" stuff in case someone sues them. But that's it.

Last edited:

legwand77

It's very frustrating that so many people refer to "wearing masks forever." It's just not helpful. If you want to have a more rational conversation, it might be helpful to think about what "forever" really means here. Something like, "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks for almost another full year" or "Or "otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until the WHO declares that they are not necessary." Or "Otherwise, we'd be wearing masks until children can be vaccinated." It might help to have a clearer discussion if these hyperbolic statements were reconsidered.

I guarantee that very few people are envisioning mask wearing into the year 3000 and beyond.
Just like it is frustrating to hear just wear them a little longer, two more weeks, ie basically until that individual person decides that it is safe for everyone else to not wear a mask, which in some cases is forever.

pdude81

Basically no children are wearing them anywhere. Something on the order of 5% indoors. The first day of our trip we had our son wear the mask and we wore them too so he wasn't stuck doing it by himself. But we took the approach that if Disney doesn't care to enforce this in the least that we won't put our child through that any longer. They are enforcing for all travelers on all transportation except boats, which is nice. At least it's something consistent. We'd be fine with wearing them now indoors as we had no problem the whole time in April. But I don't make the rules, and nobody is enforcing them.

legwand77

Transportation rule for masks will most likely stick around till at least September, enforcement probably will slowly decrease as it is really just theater to match the federal rule.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s funny how I was told that I didn’t understand the definition of transportation when I suggested Disney transportation would still require masks. And here we are!

I think crowded places that mix vaccinated and non-vaccinated should still require masks until the vaccinated rate gets higher.

legwand77

It’s funny how I was told that I didn’t understand the definition of transportation when I suggested Disney transportation would still require masks. And here we are!

I think crowded places that mix vaccinated and non-vaccinated should still require masks until the vaccinated rate gets higher.
See above ;)

DisneyCane

Basically no children are wearing them anywhere. Something on the order of 5% indoors. The first day of our trip we had our son wear the mask and we wore them too so he wasn't stuck doing it by himself. But we took the approach that if Disney doesn't care to enforce this in the least that we won't put our child through that any longer. They are enforcing for all travelers on all transportation except boats, which is nice. At least it's something consistent. We'd be fine with wearing them now indoors as we had no problem the whole time in April. But I don't make the rules, and nobody is enforcing them.
Is the ferry to MK considered a boat for masks?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Figgy1

Premium Member

Orange County Mayor appeals to businesses to require masks to be worn when indoors and in crowded spaces regardless of vaccination status​

Is there any chance that will happen as a government agency has requested it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom