News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Theaters are private businesses and will do what they want, just like every other private business has outside of state restrictions. However, considering that AMC at Disney Springs is on Disney property, I admittedly am not sure how that works.
Memories of seeing three movies for the price of one. I spent the afternoon and early evening at DS AMC hopping from one movie to the next.

ElvisMickey

Memories of seeing three movies for the price of one. I spent the afternoon and early evening at DS AMC hopping from one movie to the next.
I think I’ve actually been to the movies there once since moving to FL in 2013, but I remember traveling down here from NJ in my 20s and going there before a night out at Pleasure Island!

legwand77

Theaters are private businesses and will do what they want, just like every other private business has outside of state restrictions. However, considering that AMC at Disney Springs is on Disney property, I admittedly am not sure how that works.
I was just referring to what AMC states:

"AMC continues to follow state and local mandates."

ElvisMickey

I was just referring to what AMC states:

"AMC continues to follow state and local mandates."

I agree with that. However, my local AMC 30 miles away from WDW doesn’t require masks. But I’m not sure if the one at Disney Springs does since Disney has held on to their indoor mask requirement.

Wendy Pleakley

So let me get this straight. You're concerned about your 9 year old daughter getting COVID. Your daughter (most likely because of you increasing her fear by comments like above) is also afraid of getting COVID. So your plan is take her to Disney World where they will be in contact with tens of thousands of complete strangers. Got it.

There's a risk assessment we all have to make when deciding whether or not to do things like visit WDW right now.

An argument can be made that parents of young children should play it safe and stay home.

However, they may have also determined that the desire to do something fun like visit WDW is an acceptable risk. This is based on things like social distancing and use of masks. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated when the risk and stress becomes greater than expected because of some inconsiderate and selfish people who won't follow the rules and have no consideration for others.

Oddysey

I think we do a horrible job as adults of explaining risks and reassuring kids that the likelihood of something happening to them individually is virtually zero.

Too many people (in general, this post isn’t directed at you in any way) are creating unnecessary fear in children because the kids see and feel their parents, teachers, etc anxiety and no one is putting it in perspective for them.

According to the CDC 300 kids under the age of 17 have died from covid since Jan 2020, while tragic it’s a tiny fraction of the 40,000 kids who died last year from all causes. Kids aren’t too terrified to get in a car or swimming pool, much more deadly to children than Covid, because adults haven’t made them feel like death from swimming or cars is inevitable.

The whole thing reminds me of the nuclear war drills we had as children, I remember being terrified that it was only a matter of time before I was blown up by the Russians, the cause of inevitable death changes but we seem to always have some doomsday scenario to terrify our children.

I agree and I have tried ad nauseam to explain to her that their is virtually zero risk for a 9 year old and for her it would be like any other illness that her very healthy immune system destroys. However, all the shutdowns, new rules at school, new rules in public (even Disney), news, masking, extra precautions, communications with others, media, etc. sends a very contradictory message.

“If my dad says I have nothing to worry about, why did the world change in such a profound way and in every aspect of my life.”

As her parent I can try to comfort her but her environment will impact here thoughts as a free thinking individual.

GimpYancIent

Children are not dumb. I listen to what they say and see how adaptive they are. This whole COVID19 episode is one huge teachable moment about how not to over react, to be considerate of others, self control, common sense, follow the science and facts, to not repeat the poor choices / rules made by the grown ups and to adopt healthy life styles. It will be interesting how these young minds see things, analyze them and make their own conclusions (people have a habit of doing that) , you know as in decision making.

Tamandua

Agree! But why are you so down on cloth masks? I find a properly fitting, well constructed, properly maintained (as in washed) cloth mask does the job just fine.
I'm just saying that the cloth masks most people are wearing do little to prevent the spread of viruses like covid. Many of them even say so on the packaging. If you want to wear a cloth mask then by all means go for it... They just don't offer much protection. If you're sincerely worried about the virus, get an N95 mask or better. If you're not sincerely worried about it... Then why bother?

ElvisMickey

Kids are being written off? Left behind? The same kids that have a nearly 100% survival rate? Instead of wasting time in an online forum, you should use the time to talk to your child and ease her fears. Fears that you apparently ignore.

Why did you take your kids to WDW if they are this traumatized ? Why would you (as the parent) allow them to reach a state of such anxiety and then exacerbate it by exposing them to an environment where people are ALLOWED to not wear a mask? And if people are not wearing a mask inside, then perhaps you should take the opportunity to be her guardian and do whatever is necessary to alleviate the 9 year old childs anxiety since YOU were the one that put her in the situation to begin with. Or you can just continue to allow her to "retreat into the corner and give you her concerned look" as you proceed to complain online.
Exactly this. I haven’t understood this since last year when the parks reopened. You’re SO concerned about all of this but you’re getting on a plane, traveling from out of state and going to what was pretty much the most crowded place you could possibly be once things started to reopen because you can’t sit home? Then you expect everyone else to keep their masks on, don’t come within 6 feet of you, etc. Yeah, in a perfect world, people should have been doing those things. But not everyone did. And now, forget about it. Hardly anyone is wearing masks anymore. As a local who’s been to several of the parks since the mask mandates were dropped or relaxed, people have had enough.

ColeTrain04

Immunocompromised here too. Who exactly should I be staying away from? Those with masks, because they are hypothetically not vaxx'd? Or those without masks, since they are likely anti-vaxxers?

The way we've rolled this out has caused COMPLETE confusion for those who need to continue to try and be safe as there is no way identify the people who cause the most risk to me. Other than completely staying in my house for...ever, what am I supposed to do?
Take risks as you see fit.....your health is your responsibility not anyone else’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

disneygeek90

nope, going steadily down
This is steadily down? Seems fairly stagnant to me.
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.20.20 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom