News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Having worked at a hospital and having a spouse who has worked at a hospital for 32 years and currently working on a covid unit I can tell you that when a person goes into the hospital what they report in the ER for triage is what they're admitted to the hospital for. If they test positive for covid while they're there that is a whole separate issue and is dealt with at the same time but separately. They don't have someone coming with a gunshot wound who tests positive for covid and they just ignore the gunshot. They treat the gunshot wound while also treating the person for covid. Now if the person dies while in treatment but it was nothing to do with a gunshot wound (for example, a gunshot to the leg nowhere near the femoral artery) then they may look at covid. Ultimately they will determine what the cause of death was before it is labeled on a death certificate and reported. No one in a medical examiner's office is going to look at someone who came into the hospital for a car crash or something and label them as a covid death. It's just not happening. (For the record, I'm not saying that you are saying that. 😁)
But, I imagine that individual will be included in the state’s count of COVID hospitalizations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That there is a mixture of incidental covid and actual covid cases is interesting trivia, but it's not really relevant. What matters is that there is a surge in hospitalizations due to COVID over baseline for this time of year, coupled with a shortage in hospital staff, that could seriously threaten the health and lives of many people.

It's certainly true that there is some percentage of reported COVID hospitalizations that is incidental. It is also true that hospitalizations for any cause are up significantly compared to baseline in areas of the country that started the Omicron surge earlier.

The only number that matters right now is total hospitalized vs capacity, and that number is getting dangerously close to being a real problem. Whether some percentage is from incidental cases that would have been in the hospital without COVID really doesn't matter.

I think both numbers matter for different reasons. Someone in the hospital with COVID, whether they were admitted for that or not, is important because it takes up COVID treatment capacity. Knowing how many people are admitted because they need hospital care for COVID is also important because it give us an idea of the severity of the diseases.

ToTBellHop

Suggesting this will go on forever is silly. Eventually we will just move on. We can’t boost the entire world every 5 months. I would guess this is the final respiratory illness season where we will see significant impacts. If Israel is giving its citizens their 17th boosters by next NYE, I suppose that is their prerogative, but that won’t be most places.

Trauma

Just an update after my trip.

I followed all mask rules at all times and tested positive this morning.

My symptoms have been a runny nose.

If it wasn’t for the test I wouldn’t have even noticed.

I called my doctor and he said to isolate for a couple more days and if I test negative go back to work.

I know it’s antidotal but as a boosted person I’ve had colds that are much worse than Omicron.

I guess I’ll just consider this my 4th shot.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Suggesting this will go on forever is silly. Eventually we will just move on. We can’t boost the entire world every 5 months. I would guess this is the final respiratory illness season where we will see significant impacts. If Israel is giving its citizens their 17th boosters by next NYE, I suppose that is their prerogative, but that won’t be most places.
I think Israel may be jumping the gun on the 4th shot. The interesting thing is even with a Varient with a huge number of mutations, T-Cell immunity is holding strong even with two shots and even moreso with three. I do think we may need a 4th or 5th shot and that may end up providing durable immunity (many vaccine schedules are 3-5 shots, we got to an4 dose Polio schedule after we found waning in the first few shots, for example) or we may need annual boosters until a v2 vaccine comes out (there's a promising one out of Walter Reed undergoing trials now that protects against all coronaviruses, not just SARS-CoV-2). But overall, I agree. I think three or four shots will become the norm, and this should be the last seasonal cold season that we see covid having such an impact.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Just an update after my trip.

I followed all mask rules at all times and tested positive this morning.

My symptoms have been a runny nose.

If it wasn’t for the test I wouldn’t have even noticed.

I called my doctor and he said to isolate for a couple more days and if I test negative go back to work.

I know it’s antidotal but as a boosted person I’ve had colds that are much worse than Omicron.

I guess I’ll just consider this my 4th shot.
It varies. My brother-in-law, healthy 36 year old, was pretty wiped out for two weeks. Vaxxed and boosted. It wasn't severe covid, but he definitely described it as the worst cold of his life.

Regardless, I think anyone who's boosted at this point is pretty well protected against serious disease.

Trauma

It varies. My brother-in-law, healthy 36 year old, was pretty wiped out for two weeks. Vaxxed and boosted. It wasn't severe covid, but he definitely described it as the worst cold of his life.

Regardless, I think anyone who's boosted at this point is pretty well protected against serious disease.
Was your brother-in-law Omicron or Delta?

Just wondering since if he was wiped out for 2 weeks that would seem to be more from the Delta timeframe.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Was your brother-in-law Omicron or Delta?

Just wondering since if he was wiped out for 2 weeks that would seem to be more from the Delta timeframe.
Omecron - NYC a week and a half before Christmas at the beginning of their wave.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Omecron - NYC a week and a half before Christmas at the beginning of their wave.
How did he find out? Or are you just assuming? When I tested positive I was told there was no way to know, but the doctor I tele-healthed with said based on the reported symptoms, I likely had omicron (which is what I assumed, given how mild my symptoms were). If I hadn't recently traveled, I wouldn't even have bothered with a test.

mikejs78

Premium Member
How did he find out? Or are you just assuming? When I tested positive I was told there was no way to know, but the doctor I tele-healthed with said based on the reported symptoms, I likely had omicron (which is what I assumed, given how mild my symptoms were). If I hadn't recently traveled, I wouldn't even have bothered with a test.
Likely Omecron based on what his doctor told him
* Newly boosted, so efficacy against Delta extremely high, Omecron not so much.
* Symptoms matched the Omecron profile more than the Delta profile
* Estimates of Omecron at the time where he lived vs Delta

Lilofan

Vaxxed and boosted? J&J? I read it is less effective than Moderna/Pfizer.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Likely Omecron based on what his doctor told him
* Newly boosted, so efficacy against Delta extremely high, Omecron not so much.
* Symptoms matched the Omecron profile more than the Delta profile
* Estimates of Omecron at the time where he lived vs Delta
Yeah, that's pretty much how I arrived at that conclusion as well.

Lilofan

2x Moderna, boosted with Pfizer. All are less against infection but still very effective against severe disease.
That's good. I was told by my pharmacist who gave me the Moderna shots (3) that one should stick with the same vaccine brand for all shots. Seems like some mix and match perhaps by choice or the other vaccine out of stock.

Trauma

Just for the record I have no idea what variant I have either, I’m basing it on 2 things.

1. Scratchy throat (omicron symptom)

2. I’m just not that sick

celluloid

Vaxxed and boostered followed mask policies while there. Test positive two days ago. Will not be going for a 4th shot since it seems we can both catch and spread it so I see no point . This is the second time I have had covid since August. Over it!!

At least you have been fortunate enough to catch it that many times and live and presuming no life altering effects. Sorry that you have still caught it, but there is still a point.

Chomama

Our family of six is all vaccinated and those of us who are old enough to be boosted are. We wear masks indoors whenever possible. We also wear kn95. We spent Xmas with our family for first time in two years. All same vax status and tested before arrival. 10/16 now have Covid. All mild. It’s just going to be very hard to avoid unless you stay home and order all necessities until this wave is over. It’s so so contagious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom