News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait till Spring 22
I have no idea what they’ll do…but I think it’s wise to look at 3/1/22 or 4/1/22 as target dates.

and I don’t want that…but this is corporate politics and business strategy…which means who’s coming next week or next month is irrelevant.

they're good with data…they know that most threats are bluffs.

a lot of it could depend on how desperate they are with this “50th” thing…I could see chapek not being the most wise/measured exec when he’s getting flak from the power brokers

Mike C

Wait till Spring 22
That seems really late considering the 7 day case numbers in Florida are less then June when they didn't have the masking. I guess nobody knows then. Probably will book Royal Pacific and maybe go over to Epcot one day if they do drop them. I'll give it a week though.

Trauma

Ok I’m going to stay on topic here of masks at Disney World.

I can also see how passionate you guys are about this subject so I will keep an open mind.

I have had my Moderna shots and my booster.

What increased risk would I be at if I where to be indoors at Disney right now maskless?

According to what I have seen my risk of a break thru infection is 1 in 5000.

That’s not even taking into account if I catch it my chance of negative outcomes is GREATLY reduced

Why is it considered so radical to suggest that to some people that seems to be an acceptable risk level?

Chi84

Premium Member

I can also see how passionate you guys are about this subject so I will keep an open mind.

What increased risk would I be at if I where to be indoors at Disney right now maskless?

That’s not even taking into account if I catch it my chance of negative outcomes is GREATLY reduced

Why is it considered so radical to suggest that to some people that seems to be an acceptable risk level?
Masks at WDW should be gone very soon. In fact I thought some insiders believed it would have happened by now. Hopefully the last several pages are just the death throes of the debate.

Angel Ariel

especially once 5-11 year old children have had 5-6 weeks to be "fully" vaccinated. Therefore, they shouldn't exist at WDW past 12/19 at the latest.
Again, you realize there are supply chain issues with the vaccines right? Many families here booked ASAP and appointments were already booked weeks out for their first doses. In terms of a wdw mask policy, after 1/1 makes more sense, as it allows for the entire month of November for people to get access to the vaccine and have the full time to be fully vaccinated.

sullyinMT

What you’re asking is not irrational in a vacuum. The reason (I believe) Disney reinstated indoor masking when Uni & Sea World didn’t has more to do with the risk to the community and not the vaccinated individual. Even at the highest point of FL’s recent surge, while breakthrough was a more real threat than now, the individual risk was low. Yet all around those vaccinated individuals, hospitals were full and cancelling routine care to provide surge care. It was the responsible move when Disney reinstated masks.

Since then, the CDC has clearly defined when masks should be worn indoors. We can argue whether or not 50cases/100k/7days is too low, but most of us aren’t epidemiologists. I’ll defer to them for what defines “moderate” vs “substantial” spread. Because Disney made the choice they did, and that choice is now met up against almost “moderate” and after EUA for 5-11, they’re in a catch 22. If they drop them now, with cases over the 50 threshold (by however small), they’ll get lambasted for being impatient in some circles. If they hold on much longer than 5-6 weeks from EUA date for kids, even those who wanted them to wait for kids to have a chance (raises hand) will be vocal about them jumping the shark, so long as cases and hospitalizations remain where they are or lower.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I can’t believe WDW is waiting for any particular group to be vaccinated. They didn’t the last time and I haven’t heard any suggestions (other than from people here) that they would do so this time.

It’s far too subjective. More likely they’re looking to CDC guidance and being cautious about what constitutes moderate transmission.

The Mom

Premium Member
People have been asked to stay on the topic of mask policy at WDW, as many are reading this thread to find this out before taking an already scheduled trip, or making a decision about planning one. It is not about Covid in general, a mask debate, making snide remarks about other posters,states, cities, etc.

The next person to post anything not specifically related to the current mask policy at WDW will get a warning. After that, they will no longer be able to post in this thread.

Trauma

@The Mom

Please don’t give me a warning for this, I know it’s not about masks, but I’m not sure where else to post it.

I have been frequenting these forums since way back when the “Spirit” used to post here and those threads would be wildly off topic and political. They where also some of the most popular.

Can we have a thread or a sub forum where we can have slightly more open discussions?

I’m not asking for the Wild West Just somewhere where the discussion isn’t so sanitized that it’s becomes pointless.

The Mom

Premium Member
@The Mom

Please don’t give me a warning for this, I know it’s not about masks, but I’m not sure where else to post it.

I have been frequenting these forums since way back when the “Spirit” used to post here and those threads would be wildly off topic and political. They where also some of the most popular.

Can we have a thread or a sub forum where we can have slightly more open discussions?

I’m not asking for the Wild West Just somewhere where the discussion isn’t so sanitized that it’s becomes pointless.
We already tried that, and it didn't end well. Apparently some people are incapable of expressing a difference of opinion on numerous topics without getting downright ugly.
So the answer is, No.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Any word of the mask issue dropping? We're going to pass if its there in December.
No news. If you need to book far in advance, I wouldn't book; but if you're willing to wait and possibly pay more for travel/lodging, go for it.

What I will say, if it's cold in December, face masks are an excellent way to keep your face warm.

DisneyCane

I wish they would at least provide guidance on what criteria they are using for their decision making. If it's just an arbitrary "we think it's the right thing to do" then put out a statement to that effect.

Orange County will likely be in the "moderate" community transmission category within a day or two. At that level, the CDC recommends that unvaccinated people should wear a mask in public, indoor settings.

CaptainAmerica

Orange County will likely be in the "moderate" community transmission category within a day or two. At that level, the CDC recommends that unvaccinated people should wear a mask in public, indoor settings.
I still contend that the CDC recommendations have absolutely nothing to do with it. The CDC recommends that you cook your beef to 145 degrees, but that doesn't stop Disney from selling you a medium-rare filet mignon at Topolino's.

Trauma

My opinion:

Knowing the underlying factors would greatly lessen the discontent.

We would know what the goal is and also know it is yet to be achieved.

Its what I wish they would have done with the vaccinations for example.

“When we hit 90% vaccination rates we can drop mitigations.”

Well if they had said that we would have had a goal to aim at.

I understand that wouldn’t be a scientific statement in the eyes of a epidemiologists but a social scientist might argue it would be a far more effective strategy.

In summary if they just gave the ends they are looking for it would make it feel less nebulous and therefore arbitrary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom