News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I read that and have a question. Here's what they say.

"
So, when will the case rate drop low enough to be in the “moderate” tier? Well, the CDC has forecasted COVID-19 case numbers to drop over the next three weeks before ticking back up in December. If the forecasted predictions hold true, the COVID-19 weekly case count should be at its lowest since the theme parks reopened back in July 2020.

The next question is: will Disney change their policy once Orange County moves into the “Moderate” tier? We think they will. In all likelihood, Disney World will relax their face mask mandates to make it optional for fully vaccinated individuals to go maskless indoors sometime in November."

If they're going to tick back up why would anyone think WDW will relax them in the first place? I'm beginning to get very confused. I mean literally they'd drop it for like 3 weeks or something?
It’s likely the numbers will tick back up - more slightly this time because of the vaccine shield (incomplete…because “stupid”…) is better established now over January, February…

…cause like “winter” and all…

I think that’s an issue being considered by Disney.

sure…they’d like to drop the masks…but will it be worse for them to ease them in a month and then put thrm back up in 2?

I think they’d try to avoid that…

I read that and have a question. Here's what they say.

"
So, when will the case rate drop low enough to be in the “moderate” tier? Well, the CDC has forecasted COVID-19 case numbers to drop over the next three weeks before ticking back up in December. If the forecasted predictions hold true, the COVID-19 weekly case count should be at its lowest since the theme parks reopened back in July 2020.

The next question is: will Disney change their policy once Orange County moves into the “Moderate” tier? We think they will. In all likelihood, Disney World will relax their face mask mandates to make it optional for fully vaccinated individuals to go maskless indoors sometime in November."

If they're going to tick back up why would anyone think WDW will relax them in the first place? I'm beginning to get very confused. I mean literally they'd drop it for like 3 weeks or something?
Personally, I don't think Disney is basing anything on the CDC map. The current lag in policy change is consistent with the last time masks were removed both outdoor and then subsequently indoors. Both took about a week or so to be removed at Disney after OC announced their policy changes. It has only been 4 days.

And regarding the map, it would be risky to publicly tie yourself to that; especially since the threshold to get to 'moderate' is so low. It is possible or even like that the county will flip back and forth between the categories in which case would put Disney in a tough situation.

It’s likely the numbers will tick back up - more slightly this time because of the vaccine shield (incomplete…because “stupid”…) is better established now over January, February…

…cause like “winter” and all…

I think that’s an issue being considered by Disney.

sure…they’d like to drop the masks…but will it be worse for them to ease them in a month and then put thrm back up in 2?

I think they’d try to avoid that…
As I have said before, I don't believe Disney is basing their mask policies on any specific case numbers or metrics. They aren't epidemiologists or public health experts. From their perspective, it's a lot cleaner to allow those people to tell them what to do. And that's what they have done, so far.

Every single policy change they have made regarding COVID-19 (reopening safety, outdoor masks, distancing, indoor masks, etc.) can be traced back to a specific Orange County order and/or phase change; including the most recent one (even if it technically wasn't a legal mandate).

And in terms of why Disneyland has those policies too: my guess is that they are taking the mandates in both municipalities and applying whichever is stricter to both. They don't want a situation where one park is visited because they don't have restrictions and the other is not. It's also easier from a messaging standpoint.

I am in the camp that believes that once they are off, they are off for good unless OC specifically request they require them again in the future.

I think it’s foolish for Disney to drop and mandate if it’s at all likely to return in the near future.

It just creates whiplash for people trying to book trips that are not willing to mask.
But as always, policies can and have changed at any time. This one just happens to be a bit more important to more people. Policies need to be based on guidance and shouldn't be kept around "just in case." Some note that it is the inability for municipalities to roll back mitigation techniques when no longer necessary that is eroding the public's trust.

Orange County's positivity rate was over 20% when masks returned. I can't say that I blame them for bringing them back. But now with it well under 4%, it is more than reasonable they come off.

it would be so much easier if they said what they use to determine their policies. Which metric. It'd help alot of folks plan.
As I said earlier, every single thing they have done can be traced directly to a county order. Every single one. I think people just keep chasing other reasons but it's quite clear they are listening to their local governments.

bdearl41

https:///2021/10/disneyland-paris-major-change-face-mask-policy-kc1/

"To promote the health and safety of guests and Cast Members, guests aged 6 and older will be required to wear a protective face mask at all times, in Disney Parks, Disney Hotels, all indoor locations at Disney Village and Golf Disneyland. Guests can temporarily remove their masks only when eating or when taking a picture at designated outdoor Selfie Spot locations. All Cast Members and third-party operators will continue to wear face masks in all indoor and outdoor locations across the resort."

This is the requirement for Paris. THe only real difference now is the 6yo vs 2yo...... why is it 6yo in Paris I have no idea. Just further evidence that Disney is going along with local authorities.

My guess is we will see a statement soon.

But who knows?
I think going along with local authorities in each location is certainly the smartest move.

bdearl41

What lawyer tells you fix your side walk so people don’t trip “if you feel like it”?

that’s a rudimentary example…and silly…but not entirely inappropriate. Disney was always dancing the line of money, optics, perception and liability here…that never changed.

but here’s a couple reminders:
1. Hoaxers were wrong…so coming back around now doesn’t wipe that slate clean
2. Florida embarrassed themselves and by extension Disney…so it’s reasonable that they be a tad cautious now.
3. Declaring victory was tried twice…and failed. It might behoove us to just err a tad on the side of caution?

no?:..is it still red herring season?
It’s Swedish fish season. Yum!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it’s foolish for Disney to drop and mandate if it’s at all likely to return in the near future.

It just creates whiplash for people trying to book trips that are not willing to mask.
For that tiny number…yes
it would be so much easier if they said what they use to determine their policies. Which metric. It'd help alot of folks plan.
I think their metric is “perception”
And will be going forward

Trauma

There’s Zero indications that’s the issue. Some anecdotal comments here and there…nothing more
When reality doesn’t match the worldview you hold in your head, the correct response is not to try to warp reality.

The claim that masks are not effecting attendance is demonstrably false.

It’s so far outside the scope of reality that the burden to prove otherwise would fall to you.

I know this my shock you, but some people don’t like wearing masks. They are not going to traverse to one of the worlds most expensive vacation destinations when mandates are in place.

Plenty of people are fine with the mandate and the parks will be busy. That does not change the fact that others will stay home waiting for a return to normal.

RoadiJeff

When reality doesn’t match the worldview you hold in your head, the correct response is not to try to warp reality.

The claim that masks are not effecting attendance is demonstrably false.

It’s so far outside the scope of reality that the burden to prove otherwise would fall to you.

I know this my shock you, but some people don’t like wearing masks. They are not going to traverse to one of the worlds most expensive vacation destinations when mandates are in place.

Plenty of people are fine with the mandate and the parks will be busy. That does not change the fact that others will stay home waiting for a return to normal.
Actually, the mask mandate is one of the main reasons that drew me to WDW last year and this one. I was hoping for less crowds because of it and it worked pretty well last year. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to return again this year before the mask policy was lifted. When I went again a few weeks ago it seemed like everyone had forgotten about COVID and the crowds were back, unfortunately.

Trauma

Actually, the mask mandate is one of the main reasons that drew me to WDW last year and this one. I was hoping for less crowds because of it and it worked pretty well last year. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to return again this year before the mask policy was lifted. When I went again a few weeks ago it seemed like everyone had forgotten about COVID and the crowds were back, unfortunately.
Yes some people will travel to the parks because of the mask mandate others will avoid them.

Chi84

Premium Member
The people on these boards tend to have a very different perspective than most of the people who visit WDW. We're there more often and are more likely to be AP/DVC; a less-than-perfect trip doesn't matter as much to us because we know we'll be back again before long. The ones who will avoid the parks when masks are required and the full experience of parades/fireworks/character interactions are not in play are the once-in-a-lifetime visitors. I know a few people who were scheduled to take that type of trip in 2020 and they have no plans to go back until the parks are free of COVID precautions. We can argue anecdotal experiences ad nauseam but I suspect Disney has a pretty good handle on how much and to what extent the precautions will affect attendance in the coming months. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom