Disney Marathon

Chape19714

It isn't normally telivised, other than on local newscasts. ESPN has been a sponcer, but that means nothing more than they support the event.

browniebee

My sister did the half in January, and she'll be doing it again this January. I'll be going down there along with my parents to cheer her on.

SpongeScott

chicagochris said:
Does the marathon go through the parks when they are open?
no. The race (1/2 marathon) starts at 6:00 a.m. and you have to finish it in 3 hours or so, so it's over before the parks open.

darthjohnny

Are the medals for sale? People get very defensive when I ask them personally and they are like OH NO! You have to be in the race, but it is coming from people who are in NO shape to run the race, even walk it. I went to the Wide World of Sports giftshop during the time of the marathon and one woman said they were for sale, but were all sold out.

SpongeScott

darthjohnny said:
Are the medals for sale? People get very defensive when I ask them personally and they are like OH NO! You have to be in the race, but it is coming from people who are in NO shape to run the race, even walk it. I went to the Wide World of Sports giftshop during the time of the marathon and one woman said they were for sale, but were all sold out.
As far as I know, they are not. I could be wrong. And there's always Ebay. :lol:

As for people being out of shape, you only have to maintain a 16 minute mile to stay in the race, so it doesn't take top physical condition to finish the race.

rangerbob

The marathon course does go through the parks and they are open during the race. The finishers of the full marathon is still going through EPCOT where the finish line is at about 1pm. The parks aren't any more crowded than usual. As for the medals being for sale, they aren't. The only way that you can get a medal is to complete the course. That is the third stop after the finish line. I've worked the marathon for the past 5 years and the medal station is in a restriced location after they have the chip removed.

brresler

STR8FAN2005 said:
When is the deadline to sign-up? I could have sworn it was August, but I can't find the date anywhere...

There's no deadline. Just whenever the race is full. As of now, the full marathon (Sunday, January 7, 2007) is at 75% capacity, and the half marathon (Saturday, January 6, 2007) is at 95% capacity. Goofy's Race and a Half is capped at 3,000 people and is already full. Even if you run both races, you won't get the goofy metal. I had really wanted to do it this year, but it filled up too quickly and I missed it. I ran the full last year, and I'm going to do it again this year.

darthjohnny

chicagochris said:
Does the marathon make the parks very crowded?

It doesn't really make the parks crowded, but it does make getting to the parks a pain. I was staying at Port Orleans Riverside and we took a but to the Magic Kingdom early in the morning. The marathon runners were taking up the roads so we waited an hour in the bus. With all our lond sleeved clothing and pants since it was January, we got incredibly hot. The bus driver, despite our cries did not turn on the air conditioning. To make things worse he then told us that because of the mayhem of the event, he would drop us off at the Transportation and Ticket Center, not the park! So we had to take the monorail. So if you want to go to the parks, go later, after the race is over.

dreamteacher

Original Poster
XNightmaresX said:
i would really love to do this, but im not in good shape and dont run often, i walk fast haha.
I walk 4 mph. and run walk I can do about 6 mph I am in no shape but I would also like to do it.

Stitch69

The metal is for Finalisher. It's what we train really hard to get. I don't get up at 6 am everyday and run 30-50 miles a week cuse it's easy.I do not beleive they are for sale and Should NOT be. I really don't understand why someone who did not earn it would want one? I collect disney stuff but do not want a metal for running a race that I didn't run. When people ask why do you have a marathon metal to a race you didn't run what do you say? I am :veryconfuConfussed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom