Disney making Artemis Fowl!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Link to article

I love the Artemis Fowl books and have been hoping for a film!

From Entertainment Weekly -

"Harvey Weinstein and Walt Disney Studios have teamed up to develop a live-action film adaptation of Eoin Colfer’s popular children’s series Artemis Fowl, Disney announced Monday in a press release. The movie will be based on the first two of Colfer’s fantasy novels about a brilliant 12-year-old criminal who schemes to capture a fairy. Michael Goldenberg, who wrote the screenplay for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is penning the script, with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal serving as executive producers."

For those that aren't familiar with the books they Artemis is an extremely wealthy child criminal mastermind who discovers fairies are real and uses his everything at his disposal to try to get his hands on their legendary gold. It's a mix or fantasy/sci-fi and James Bond for kids.

Last edited:

Dole Whip Happy Hour

Thank you RandomPrincess for posting this. :happy: I hope this doesn't come off as creepy. and I know it's not
Disney related but...

I bought the first Fowl book in a store remembering this post, for my 11 year old. Figured it would be fun to read the book, and then see the movie whenever it comes out. Turns out he loves it.

I have a friend who has a 12 year old son has a hard time reading, not sure the reason why. My friend is an avid reader and can't imagine a life without the magic of books. She has been distressed for years that her son's reading problems might not let him experience that.

So I made a point to tell her about this series.

The next time I saw her, she hugged me with tears in her eyes saying how much she owes me.
Her son loves it more than my son. He couldn't keep stop reading it, even putting down his electronics for this book. This was a first for him. He loves it enough to work harder to read it.:joyfull:

I wanted to pass on the thank you for her and him.

We all look forward to seeing the movie someday!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
4 years later we finally have some news!

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/20/art...l&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly

Josh Gad, Judi Dench, Lara McDonnell, and Nonso Anozie have been confirmed for principal roles. In addition, after casting director Lucy Bevan saw more than 1,200 candidates for the part of 12-year-old Artemis Fowl, Branagh cast Irish newcomer Ferdia Shaw. He will make his onscreen debut in the title role.

Dench’s casting had previously been reported. She’ll play Commander Root, the steely leader of the fairy police force. Gad will star as Mulch Diggums, a kleptomaniacal dwarf who works for the fairies (and himself). In the other supporting roles, McDonnell has been cast as elf hero Captain Holly Short, while Anozie is set to play Fowl’s bodyguard Butler.

The upcoming film is based on the wildly successful sci-fi book series by Eoin Colfer. Descended from a long line of criminal masterminds, 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl finds himself in a battle of strength and cunning against a powerful, hidden race of fairies who may be behind his father’s disappearance. Eight books were written for the main series, a best-seller mainstay, and Branagh’s adaptation comes nearly two decades after stalled plans to adapt.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I know it's a necro bump but I didn't want to start another thread.

Did Disney give up on this movie? The actor's going to age out if they planned on making follow up sequels. I know it was pushed back but I haven't heard much about it. Now would be the time to start pushing trailers and cranking that marketing machine.

I'm starting to wonder if Disney has any confidence in this movie or in making it a franchise. Disney+ material?
I haven't been following it too carefully but I remember liking the teaser trailer when it first dropped. Been quiet ever since.

NateD1226

I know it's a necro bump but I didn't want to start another thread.

Did Disney give up on this movie? The actor's going to age out if they planned on making follow up sequels. I know it was pushed back but I haven't heard much about it. Now would be the time to start pushing trailers and cranking that marketing machine.

I'm starting to wonder if Disney has any confidence in this movie or in making it a franchise. Disney+ material?
I haven't been following it too carefully but I remember liking the teaser trailer when it first dropped. Been quiet ever since.
There is one trailer that was put out in November 2018. But either than that, it's just crickets. It seems like Disney just lost hope in this movie

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Bumped from Aug 2019 to May 29, 2020.

1581876771986.png

1581876827135.png

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I too gots the google. lol I knew the new release date just surprised it's been so quiet. Nary a murmur about it.
Disney must have zero faith in the picture. I figured at this point in time they'd either make it a D+ release or actually start advertising for it.
Maybe it'll show before Pixar's Onward to refresh the masses?

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Well if the trailer is any indication, I wouldn't be shocked if this goes straight to D+. I know you liked the teaser, but to me it just looked bad. I guess you never know, but I just don't see this doing well in a theatrical release.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Well if the trailer is any indication, I wouldn't be shocked if this goes straight to D+. I know you liked the teaser, but to me it just looked bad. I guess you never know, but I just don't see this doing well in a theatrical release.

I wouldn't either honestly. It'd be good for D+. It has potential. The trailer didn't exactly WOW me but it did look interesting. I wonder how much it will deviate from the books. The teaser trailer gave me "Wrinkle in Time" vibes... which bombed hard. I suspect the same with this one. IDK, not sold yet but Disney hasn't exactly been doing their part to convince me to go see it either.

FoozieBear

Can't believe this stretches all the way back to 2013! I do find it weird that this movie comes out in four months and we still only saw that one teaser trailer from back in November of 2018. Apparently this movie is still happening, but something tells me it earns the spot of the title most likely to just end up going straight to Disney+.

Magenta Panther

Not surprising. The movie's protagonist is a completely different Artemis from the look of it. Still think this would be better off on Disney+. I think it's going to bomb in theatres.

I couldn't even finish the first Fowl book myself. I liked the protagonist, and his bodyguard, but the whole bit with the high-tech fairies was too stupid for words. The author took everything traditionally magical about fairies and made it all hardware - even motorized wings. Feh. And the writing was even more tepid than J.K. Rowling's. So I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't watch the movie anyway, unless it managed to improve TREMENDOUSLY on the source material (as the movies based on Rowling's books routinely did...)

NateD1226

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom