Disney Magic is alive and well!

cslafferty

Original Poster
My husband, sister and I just returned from our WDW trip Dec 8-14. We had been planning it for over a year. On Nov 8 our 30yr old daughter, who suffered from lung disease, was hospitalized with double pneumonia. She passed away on Nov 22. Now, my first instinct was to cancel the trip. However, our family and friends all encouraged us to go. They know how much Disney has meant to our family through the years and how much Christy loved it there. She would’ve been the first one to tell us to go, so we did. While it was nice to get away after spending weeks pretty much living at the hospital, it was a hard trip. We have SO MANY memories with our kids, especially in the MK.
We had scheduled a breakfast at Crystal Palace. I didn’t really think too much about it until we got there - Pooh was Christy’s favorite, and we spent many meals there so she could spend time with Pooh. When Pooh came to our table, I could not contain my emotions and totally broke down. Not wanting to let Pooh think I was totally crazy, I whispered to him as he hugged me that he was Christy’s favorite and she had just passed away. Well, he hugged me so tightly while I cried and held my hand for a while before moving on to the next table. It was very moving, and I was amazed at “Pooh’s” professionalism as he gleefully interacted with the little ones at the next table as if nothing had happened. It was very precious.
Today, 2weeks later, I received an envelope from Disney Destinations. I thought maybe we had left something behind in our room. Inside was one thing - an 8x10 photo of Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore signed by them. A very simple gesture that means more to this grieving mother than words could ever express. This is why I will continue to visit Disney parks. This is what sets them apart from all the others. And the Disney Magic still lives on in those cast members who continue to see it as more than just a job.
5DCC51B1-24D3-4720-97A4-2028E579E624.jpeg

NickMaio

My husband, sister and I just returned from our WDW trip Dec 8-14. We had been planning it for over a year. On Nov 8 our 30yr old daughter, who suffered from lung disease, was hospitalized with double pneumonia. She passed away on Nov 22. Now, my first instinct was to cancel the trip. However, our family and friends all encouraged us to go. They know how much Disney has meant to our family through the years and how much Christy loved it there. She would’ve been the first one to tell us to go, so we did. While it was nice to get away after spending weeks pretty much living at the hospital, it was a hard trip. We have SO MANY memories with our kids, especially in the MK.
We had scheduled a breakfast at Crystal Palace. I didn’t really think too much about it until we got there - Pooh was Christy’s favorite, and we spent many meals there so she could spend time with Pooh. When Pooh came to our table, I could not contain my emotions and totally broke down. Not wanting to let Pooh think I was totally crazy, I whispered to him as he hugged me that he was Christy’s favorite and she had just passed away. Well, he hugged me so tightly while I cried and held my hand for a while before moving on to the next table. It was very moving, and I was amazed at “Pooh’s” professionalism as he gleefully interacted with the little ones at the next table as if nothing had happened. It was very precious.
Today, 2weeks later, I received an envelope from Disney Destinations. I thought maybe we had left something behind in our room. Inside was one thing - an 8x10 photo of Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore signed by them. A very simple gesture that means more to this grieving mother than words could ever express. This is why I will continue to visit Disney parks. This is what sets them apart from all the others. And the Disney Magic still lives on in those cast members who continue to see it as more than just a job.View attachment 436846
Thank you for sharing your very touching and personal story.
My condolences to you and your family.

JusticeDisney

Today, 2weeks later, I received an envelope from Disney Destinations. I thought maybe we had left something behind in our room. Inside was one thing - an 8x10 photo of Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore signed by them. A very simple gesture that means more to this grieving mother than words could ever express. This is why I will continue to visit Disney parks. This is what sets them apart from all the others. And the Disney Magic still lives on in those cast members who continue to see it as more than just a job.View attachment 436846
1) I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish you peace moving forward.
2) Thank you for taking the time to make this post. While heartbreaking, it was also wonderful to read. I hope that didn’t just come across the wrong way.
3) You captured perfectly what I believe makes WDW so special to so many of us. It’s the family memories created over generations.
4) God bless you and your family.

JIMINYCR

A most difficult post for you to write at this time, it is appreciated. My heartfelt condolences go out to you, your husband and your family members. The loss of a child, no matter what age is so tragic. I wish no one had to experience a loss like this in life. I am glad you were able to take the time to escape the grief momentarily and enjoy the time at Disney with those strong memories of her. The momentary respite from grieving I hope helped. Stay strong, love one another and give yourselves time to heal.

Peace Love Disney

In the Parks
No
First, I am so sorry for your loss of your daughter and how difficult just writing that post must have been.

Growing up me and my little brother have been lucky enough as your daughter was to share these type of Disney Magical moments over the times that you all have been there. It makes Disney the Greatest Place On Earth.

bubbles1812

Thank you for sharing this! I am so very sorry for your loss.

My mom and I were in Disney the same time as you (Dec 7- Dec 15) for her birthday. We had multiple CMs go out of their way to make the trip a little more special, from a simple free cupcake up to an upgrade into a better seating section and beyond. I don’t know the last time I saw my mom smile so much.

The magical moments really are special and I’m glad Disney was there for you in such a hard time.

juniorthomas

I’m so very sorry for your loss, but it’s great to hear you honored her memory with what sounds like a powerful trip to WDW. If you have the time, you should reach out to Guest Services and let them know this story.

Often, when positive feedback for a CM is received, they will pass it along to the CM involved. I was helped on a previous trip - in a much less significant way - and they contacted the CM and passed along my thanks. And then they went the additional step and conveyed her reaction back to me! It was nice to know that my comments weren’t filed in some backroom somewhere, but were actually delivered. The life of a costumed character doesn’t seem too easy, but I would think moments like these make it that much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom