Rumor Disney Looking To Trade The Theme Park Rights of Alien with Universal in exchange for Black Panther to Build a Wakanda Pavillion at Epcot

doctornick

Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't make a Wakanda science pavilion in the WoL space (assuming this is a real consideration). Potentially would have been a better fit than what we are getting there. And would have been relatively close to GOTG keeping the Marvel stuff kinda together.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To build a Wakanda pavilion would be a slap in the face to Africa.

Mission accomplished...

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
It doesn’t make sense with the old Disney theme park model. Now.....
I doubt even Chapek would go that far. Now, an African Pavillion with a Wakanda attraction, he absolutely would. But not a Wakanda Pavillion in WS.

Which means:

Wakanda dark ride in DAK's Africa CONFIRMED

aladdin2007

I doubt even Chapek would go that far. Now, an African Pavillion with a Wakanda attraction, he absolutely would. But not a Wakanda Pavillion in WS.

Which means:

Wakanda dark ride in DAK's Africa CONFIRMED

I think at this point sadly he would, he probably doesnt even know its called WS to begin with...but your right he would for sure mix an African Pavilion with that IP attraction as well.

jt04

I think at this point sadly he would, he probably doesnt even know its called WS to begin with...but your right he would for sure mix an African Pavilion with that IP attraction as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if WS, FW and Epcot itself gets renamed as part of all the changes.

aladdin2007

Wouldn't be surprised if WS, FW and Epcot itself gets renamed as part of all the changes.

at the horrific rate they are going they may as well just called it Disney SpringsCot. Its amazing to me how they can make good expansions like Ratatouille yet turn the place into a giant food and wine bar themed focus otherwise. Gutting out the middle of FW and its founatin for a beer garden shows how low they aim now. Got off topic and wrong thread really sorry, back to the wakanda rumor mess or whatever its called.

jt04

at the horrific rate they are going they may as well just called it Disney SpringsCot. Its amazing to me how they can make good expansions like Ratatouille yet turn the place into a giant food and wine bar themed focus otherwise. Gutting out the middle of FW and its founatin for a beer garden shows how low they aim now. Got off topic and wrong thread really sorry, back to the wakanda rumor mess or whatever its called.

They once seriously thought about making WS an open area with no gate. Instead they decided to add attractions like Frozen and Ratatouille. Great choice IMO. I am substantially more optimistic for the park's future. So much potential.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The Black Panther being wanted by Disney part I could almost believe....the Universal wanting just the Alien franchise? that part doesn't make any sense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Black Panther being wanted by Disney part I could almost believe....the Universal wanting just the Alien franchise? that part doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I thinking keeping Black Panther out of Disney's hands would be more valuable to Universal then the Alien rights.

Purduevian

Yeah, I thinking keeping Black Panther out of Disney's hands would be more valuable to Universal then the Alien rights.

But does Universal really gain anything from keeping Black Panther theme park rights out of Disney's hands? At least the Aliens franchise has created 8 decently successful movies and is a household name. Does it really matter to them if Disney builds a Wakanda ride/land? I don't see a black panther addition to Orlando affecting whether or not people visit Universal during their Disney trip. If anything it would bring more total people to Orlando and thus more people to take a day or two to go to Universal.

To me this deal actually doesn't make sense from Disney's point of view. Give up a decent IP for the theme park rights to one of their characters. Especially since they could build rides based on similarly popular characters such as Dr. Strange without giving up Aliens.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But does Universal really gain anything from keeping Black Panther theme park rights out of Disney's hands? At least the Aliens franchise has created 8 decently successful movies and is a household name. Does it really matter to them if Disney builds a Wakanda ride/land? I don't see a black panther addition to Orlando affecting whether or not people visit Universal during their Disney trip. If anything it would bring more total people to Orlando and thus more people to take a day or two to go to Universal.

To me this deal actually doesn't make sense from Disney's point of view. Give up a decent IP for the theme park rights to one of their characters. Especially since they could build rides based on similarly popular characters such as Dr. Strange without giving up Aliens.

I could see them wanting keep Disney from building an attraction based on one of the hotter Marvel characters, but you may be right, there might not be much actual value in that.

As for Alien, if we are talking about just the theme parks right, I don't think that would be a problem for Disney since I don't see them building a full ride around the IP.

Purduevian

As for Alien, if we are talking about just the theme parks right, I don't think that would be a problem for Disney since I don't see them building a full ride around the IP.

I always assumed this trade would be for the full rights, movie and theme park? I guess I don't really see a difference from either Universal or Disney's side if Disney were to put the black panther attraction money into Dr. Strange, the Incredibles, Monsters Inc, More Star Wars, Jungle Book, Indiana Jones, Lion King, ect instead. Disney has so many great IPs that are either underutilized or no utilized at all in the parks. If Universal could get something for Black Panther (I agree thor, hulk, Capt America might be worth more than the rest), why wouldn't they?

FrankLapidus

This remains one of the stupidest and most nonsensical WDW rumours I’ve ever heard.

They might as well go the whole hog, buy some more IP and just replace the UK pavilion with Middle Earth or Narnia. Knock down Japan and build a Pokemon land, they’d all be just as thematically on point as Wakanda in World Showcase.

NormC

This remains one of the stupidest and most nonsensical WDW rumours I’ve ever heard.
I agree, WDW doesn't need more Marvel in the parks. They have plenty on their to-do list already and building a fictional country in World Showcase is a silly idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom