News Disney launching 'Play Disney Parks' app this summer

DoTheImpossible

Initial thought is I don't like this, but maybe it could work for some barren queues like Small World.

Two main concerns: 1) Encouraging further phone use directly before people board a ride may encourage phone-use on the rides. 2) If this gets popular, Disney may cheap out on queues in the name of "cutting-edge interactivity."

Seems like a strange direction considering the trend toward "total immersion" and heavily themed areas and ride queues meant to build up to the ride itself. Maybe it ends up fizzling out or only being implemented in very specific locations, still, slippery slope.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Don't a lot of queues have wifi (even data) coverage problems? If this allows family to join in a game TOGETHER while waiting, it might be good. I see lots playing Heads Up while in line. (How do I say this....) However, if this is a babysitter used by mommy and daddy, then it takes away from the family vacation.

I have begun to banter about the idea of implementing "no phones in the parks" for our upcoming trip.
I, ME, THIS GUY, is the biggest offending party that uses the phone to update/answer my wife and I's friends on a FB group set up just to follow our Disney trips. I hope to keep my updates this trip to a very bare minimum and more time being with my immediate family.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have begun to banter about the idea of implementing "no phones in the parks" for our upcoming trip.
I, ME, THIS GUY, is the biggest offending party that uses the phone to update/answer my wife and I's friends on a FB group set up just to follow our Disney trips. I hope to keep my updates this trip to a very bare minimum and more time being with my immediate family.
Sounds a good idea to me!

MrPromey

Initial thought is I don't like this, but maybe it could work for some barren queues like Small World.

Two main concerns: 1) Encouraging further phone use directly before people board a ride may encourage phone-use on the rides. 2) If this gets popular, Disney may cheap out on queues in the name of "cutting-edge interactivity."

Seems like a strange direction considering the trend toward "total immersion" and heavily themed areas and ride queues meant to build up to the ride itself. Maybe it ends up fizzling out or only being implemented in very specific locations, still, slippery slope.

Since the article specifically said "activities that interact with the surrounding environment." I'm guessing it'll be along the lines of things like the Agent P experience and the Pirate Treasure Hunt in Adventureland in terms of the "environment" part. If so, cheaping-out isn't too much of a concern as this may get people to pay more attention to aspects of the environment while giving Imagineering a solid reason to go into deeper and richer environments in a way that'll be measurable even on basic guest surveys.

Rteetz

Say what you want about this but I think its a good idea but it depends on what exactly it all entails.

If it helps kids and adults see the details within the parks I am okay with it. I would rather more interaction with areas in the parks rather than seeing people play Heads Up or going on facebook.

wsmith1978

Initially, I thought "cool!", but now I'm thinking, how much more time do I need to spend on my phone while I'm there? I honestly would like to leave it at home and be completely immersed in the park experience. That's no longer feasible. Of course, this app is optional but at some point you gotta look up and enjoy your surroundings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom