Disney launching new parks app this summer

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Last edited by a moderator:

wild01ride

Perfect! MORE reasons for people to stare at their phone and drool while at Disney Parks...
I’m generally not one of the doom and gloom attitude people but this is ridiculous relative to everything that Disney stands for. Disney Parks are about IMMERSION, not focusing on a smartphone.
I reluctantly and sarcastically need to add my wonder as to whether this is a tactic to distract people from quality details that are absent or lacking maintenance...
Just disappointing! 😔

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
Perfect! MORE reasons for people to stare at their phone and drool while at Disney Parks...
I’m generally not one of the doom and gloom attitude people but this is ridiculous relative to everything that Disney stands for. Disney Parks are about IMMERSION, not focusing on a smartphone.
I reluctantly and sarcastically need to add my wonder as to whether this is a tactic to distract people from quality details that are absent or lacking maintenance...
Just disappointing! 😔

Agree with everything you said. On the flip side though it would be a missed opportunity for Disney to ignore the digital experience movement. The company has no choice but to deploy apps like this at its parks.

SuddenStorm

This seems like it'll be more geared towards the AP holder who goes weekly.

Personally, I enjoy unplugging while at Disneyland, only using my phone to get fastpass. But just because it's not something I'm interested in, doesn't mean thousands of others won't love it.

wild01ride

Agree with everything you said. On the flip side though it would be a missed opportunity for Disney to ignore the digital experience movement. The company has no choice but to deploy apps like this at its parks.

I understand what you're saying but I'm concerned about the "experience" being centered on the affixation on one's smartphone. If it was purely about "checking in", checking for a clue (/"scavenger hunt", as CC mentioned), viewing the ride photo, etc., I'm all for it. I would just be sad to see the App as an ongoing game (like Candy Crush, as a very basic example), that elicited constant attention from the park-goer.
I have embraced Magic Band as a way that Disney has melded together their unique immersion with the digital movement but the thing that I applaud about that is that it is an experience that is a combination of practical technical function (Resort Room keys and Park entry), along with "surprise" and passive interactive features (personal greetings on attractions, Photo Pass automatic linking to My Disney Experience, etc.).

Curios to see what exactly this materializes as!...

mousehockey37

Hey, if people want to stand around in line and play on their phone, I'll gladly move around them in queues that allow it. We've headed to the HM a few times and the maids at the entrance to the queue tell you to keep moving and fill in all the space. Well, that's not saying stay in line, but to fill up all the space in the queue. If you want to play with the interactive things, that's fine, just don't start barking at me or anyone else who follows the CM's advice to keep moving and fill in, even if it means passing you by.

I also agree with others here, Disney is a time to "try" and unplug. Yes, we use our phones for the app, we have the magic bands, and my camera is always around my neck, on and ready to go, but I'm not totally immersed in my phone. If I wanted to see Disney through my phone or laptop, well, I'd just stay home, it's a ton cheaper than actually going.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
I understand what you're saying but I'm concerned about the "experience" being centered on the affixation on one's smartphone.

So am I, but centering or extending the in-park experience to mobile devices is inevitable. People are going be tapping away at their phones no matter what, so Disney might as well capture the attention of those folks with some type of mobile experience. Ignoring it icertainly sn't the answer.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
More information about the new app on The Disney Parks Blog with a so-called "sneak peek" posted today.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-to-disneyland-and-walt-disney-world-resorts/

PLAY_DLR_ParksBlog_Post_1280x720.gif

The Play Disney Parks app will allow guests to play with family and friends while waiting in line for some favorite attractions. There’s something for everyone to enjoy, from activities that interact with select attraction queues to games that bring favorite Disney stories to life in immersive new ways.

mickEblu

I’m not crazy about having to bury my head in my phone to use MaxPass or check wait times constantly but the idea of unplugging at Disneyland these days is not really possible. How do you “unplug” when your elbow to elbow with people all day? I think it’s getting harder and harder to unplug.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I’m not crazy about having to bury my head in my phone to use MaxPass or check wait times constantly but the idea of unplugging at Disneyland these days is not really possible. How do you “unplug” when your elbow to elbow with people all day? I think it’s getting harder and harder to unplug.
It's not that hard. I do it all the time.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I just realized I wasn’t taking “unplug” literally enough. I meant unplug as in relax or unwind... which is getting harder and harder to do. But I suppose if you re realllllly patient and don’t have kids it’s possible.
No kids makes it ALL possible ;)
Although I am looking forward to spending a day at the parks with my 2 year old niece soon.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster

I agree, although I haven't been to a Disney theme park in years. I can say that the last few times I went I found the experience fun, but a bit overwhelming at times because of the crowds and the pace of running from ride to ride because I'm there on a limited time schedule.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

The world we live now is no longer about "unplugging" when going to a theme park. Its about more engagement not less this is true of all theme parks, especially at a Disney Park. Unfortunately if you want a true "unplugged" experience you're going to have to do it outside of a Disney Park.

mickEblu

I agree, although I haven't been to a Disney theme park in years. I can say that the last few times I went I found the experience fun, but a bit overwhelming at times because of the crowds and the pace of running from ride to ride because I'm there on a limited time schedule.

Yeah that’s prettty much where I’m at. I still enjoy it (I think) but it’s a little overwhelming. It’s getting harder and harder to find that “perfect” day. I would say of the 16 or so times I visit the park a year that maybe only 1-3 of them are days where I could see a single day guest getting proper value for their ticket.

mickEblu

The world we live now is no longer about "unplugging" when going to a theme park. Its about more engagement not less this is true of all theme parks, especially at a Disney Park. Unfortunately if you want a true "unplugged" experience you're going to have to do it outside of a Disney Park.

Not sure if you saw my correction on a subsequent post. I wasn’t speaking of unplugging from technology (Which I do prefer at DL) I was thinking of unplugging as in relaxing or unwinding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom