News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

rkleinlein

This looks terrible. Aaaaaannnnddd….who wants to sit in the seats out in the heat? There is no coverage out there…going to be scorching more than half the year.
Who wants to stand in the heat watching streetmosphere in the World Showcase? Should they cut out all the live music and other performances (or not bring them back) too?
It's one thing to be walking along the street and happen to come across some musicians, singers, performers, or characters and pause for a few minutes to enjoy them--or even to even not pause but still enjoy them as you walk by. But this is something different.

It's a sit down show that's, I don't know, let's imagine 15-20 minutes long, at a huge outdoor amphitheater. Very few people are going to want sit out in the hot Florida sun for the duration of the show, especially if it's as cheap, and tacky as it looks in the promotional video. My prediction is lots of empty seats and lots of people walking away during the performance.

No, not everything needs to be a giant blockbuster spectacle, but even small things can impress with skill with artistry. At Disney even small things should be good. This show, however, looks sad and insipid and I don't think it's going to impress many people--not even little kids. We shall see.

doctornick

It's one thing to be walking along the street and happen to come across some musicians, singers, performers, or characters and pause for a few minutes to enjoy them--or even to even not pause but still enjoy them as you walk by. But this is something different.

It's a sit down show that's, I don't know, let's imagine 15-20 minutes long, at a huge outdoor amphitheater. Very few people are going to want sit out in the hot Florida sun for the duration of the show, especially if it's as cheap, and tacky as it looks in the promotional video. My prediction is lots of empty seats and lots of people walking away during the performance.

No, not everything needs to be a giant blockbuster spectacle, but even small things can impress with skill with artistry. At Disney even small things should be good. This show, however, looks sad and insipid and I don't think it's going to impress many people--not even little kids. We shall see.

IIRC, it's going to be performed multiple times a day, so I think it is meant to be a "streetsmosphere" type thing where it provides some ambiance in the area and people are more likely to come and go and sit and watch for shorter periods.

I can't comment on whether it will be good or bad, but I think anyone framing this as a daytime RoL type show is probably not having the right expectations. This is more like the shows in World Showcase that go on periodically.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Chapek: “what is the cheapest possible thing we can do in the hottest outdoor arena we have to make it look like we are providing more magical entertainment for our guests during the day?”

Team: “I don’t know we’ve already done the water thing so maybe something with kites?”

Chapek: “let’s do it!”

Team: “there? Where the seats will bake everyone’s ham while they sit there in the summer?”

Chapek: “YES! We can even look at selling cooling pads in genie+!!!”

Joel

I just hope and pray they don't cancel this before I get a chance to witness Derpzu up close and in person. I'm not kidding.
derpzu.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Right now some people are looking to find any possible spin that paints Disney in a negative light.

The fact is that most kids under the age of 10 would probably enjoy this which in turn will please a lot of their parents.
The founder of Magic and Animal Kingdom, Mr. Henry Kingdom, used to say, "Shows and rides should be entertaining for the whole family. If they aren't, and YOU had anything to do with the design of it, YOU will be ritualistically disemboweled." Of course, Robert G. Epcot and Phil Studios were both quite a bit softer on this kind of thing.

Roy G. Dis

The founder of Magic and Animal Kingdom, Mr. Henry Kingdom, used to say, "Shows and rides should be entertaining for the whole family. If they aren't, and YOU had anything to do with the design of it, YOU will be ritualistically disemboweled." Of course, Robert G. Epcot and Phil Studios were both quite a bit softer on this kind of thing.
Those guys were onto something. What they didn't know then, and how could they?, was that the parents of 2021 would need 10 minute kite shows for their kids to look at so that they could check the WDWMagic message boards during the middle of their trip for any new updates on Disney Springs restaurant facade redesigns (as it breaks, of course).

dreday3

"According to BlogMickey.com sources, Disney KiteTails showtimes are currently set for 11:15am, 12:15pm, 1:15pm, 3:15pm, 4:15pm, and 5:15pm. The length of the show is unknown at this time, but with hourly showtimes, we suspect it will be less than 30 minutes long and probably closer to the 15-minute mark."

Easy to catch this. Looking forward to watching in October!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom