News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Move the harmonious barges to AK and have 2 shows per night. Add some drones (no fireworks but maybe combine some of the ROL boats too) that could be a nice night show with the right music and flow plus would make the world showcase lagoon picturesque again
Then I lost that beautiful view of Everest from across the lake tho.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I love AK, but it needs (educational, humane) animal shows, and one of the big reasons is spontaneity. When dealing with animals, every show is different. Rewatching becomes a lot more fun. I can watch the pet show at Uni over and over. Its a shame AK doesn’t use this element more.
The pet show at Uni is fantastic.

Think they could turn this show into a “dangers of flying over water especially if you aren’t a flying or swimming animal, cautionary tale?” Educational and humane out the wazoo.

Cmdr_Crimson

Think they could turn this show into a “dangers of flying over water especially if you aren’t a flying or swimming animal, cautionary tale?” Educational and humane out the wazoo.
They could use Goofy....
tumblr_mri3fnxJeB1s2wio8o3_250.gifv

CaptainAmerica

I don't care what anyone says, this is by far my favourite new entertainment offering of the 50th anniversary. Without a doubt I would go to see it were I in DAK and I'm sure we will be talking about this one for years!

I'm not even really being ironic here; this seems hilariously fun!

I agree with this. Stupid is always better then bland in entertainment - this is AKs Fast and Furious: Supercharged. Plus it has a spontaneity the programmed, banal, IP-loaded nighttime “spectaculars” lack.

Ironically, that’s why I like it. The most high budget show is Harmonious and look how a jumbled mess that turned out to be. Crazy kites dragged by jet skis to Disney tunes. Will the kite stick the landing when released? People were actually cheering that. Sometimes less is more.
You fellas wanna get wicked drunk on Safari Amber and watch KiteTails?

Last edited:

GladToBeHear

My entire point is that the people that poured their heart and soul into it likely worked with very tough circumstances and had to make constrained choices. A level of grace should then be given to them instead of just destroying them on social media.

Nothing like being given limited time, stripped away budgets, and a constrained environment to come out with a show by your bosses. Then you do the best you can and the end result just gets laughed at and ridiculed.

I'm far from a Disney apologist, but the level of toxicity in the fan community can be pretty rediculous at times.
I work in the pageantry design business. Sort of.

Trust me -- the show designers know how bad this show is. And we're not hurting their feelings.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I said this over on the Harmonious thread, but it's way more true here....the question "Is this something only Disney could do?".....is more like "Is this something the cheapest local amusement park couldn't do?" because I feel like the answer is "no".

I've been to some very charming smaller parks that could make a better show than this one.

Tom Morrow

Ironically, that’s why I like it. The most high budget show is Harmonious and look how a jumbled mess that turned out to be. Crazy kites dragged by jet skis to Disney tunes. Will the kite stick the landing when released? People were actually cheering that. Sometimes less is more.

You've got a point here. I'm gonna try and see this before it gets pulled, and I predict I'll have more fun watching it than Harmonious.

JohnD

I said this over on the Harmonious thread, but it's way more true here....the question "Is this something only Disney could do?".....is more like "Is this something the cheapest local amusement park couldn't do?" because I feel like the answer is "no".

I've been to some very charming smaller parks that could make a better show than this one.
So you want something more like Harmonious, then. Anything less is not “Disney”. Got it.

Might as well fire the Dapper Dans, Casey’s Corner piano player, acrobats in China, drummers in Japan, etc. Because unless it’s a multi gazillion dollar spectacle with a Stargate, tacos, and arms flailing about, it’s not Disney.

CaptainAmerica

So you want something more like Harmonious, then. Anything less is not “Disney”. Got it.

Might as well fire the Dapper Dans, Casey’s Corner piano player, acrobats in China, drummers in Japan, etc. Because unless it’s a multi gazillion dollar spectacle with a Stargate, tacos, and arms flailing about, it’s not Disney.
Any cheap local amusement park can stick a piano player outside a hot dog stand.

Cmdr_Crimson

Nail in coffin is top 40 hits playing the park..Yeah, they play that music at All Stars and Pop resorts but, hearing "Ghetto Superstar" while walking through Asia at Animal Kingdom makes perfect sense?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I work in the pageantry design business. Sort of.

Trust me -- the show designers know how bad this show is. And we're not hurting their feelings.
Same over here, I have a bachelor's degree in Theatre Tech... And I produce children's theatre for a living. This is worse (in a hilarious sort of way) than some 1st grade productions I've seen in my lifetime. lol

Virtual Toad

Same over here, I have a bachelor's degree in Theatre Tech... And I produce children's theatre for a living. This is worse (in a hilarious sort of way) than some 1st grade productions I've seen in my lifetime. lol
Totally agree. Just watched a video of one of the shows and this is just.... Sad. Embarrassing. And painful to watch. There’s so little kinetic energy. Mostly an empty lake with an occasional jet ski and a few oversized Party City balloons with parachutes flying by.

The most prominent visual for much of the show I saw was a deflated and untethered Baloo lying face down on the bleachers after his “performance” had ended. Literally on stage and in full view.

I feel sad for the performers, but this thing should have been canceled before it ever saw the light of day.

It may not have been intended as a headliner, but to promote it and actually encourage guests to devote time to sit down and watch it is a colossal mistake.

Even as a second-tier show designed to “sweeten” the 50th anniversary, the show is awful beyond redemption. Especially if you compare it to Tapestry of Nations, the “second-tier” offering for Epcot’s Millennial Celebration.

Compare the two shows, and consider how very far the mighty have fallen. Almost as fast as the prices keep rising.

At least WDW management hasn’t degraded the product so badly that they would consider hiring a DJ to blast pop music over the train station on Main Street.

Oh wait.

So how soon before we can justifiably call for executives to resign or be fired? Including Chapek? Or should we just wait for more in a growing series of disturbing missteps as the WDW experience is diminished beyond recognition?

(P.S. If Disney repurposed the balloons and performances as an impromptu cavalcade a few times a day, they might at least be able to salvage something. But that’s about all it’s worth I’m afraid.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom