News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Apparently this show reopened today with all the kites.
Just came out of the last show. They are running the kites. 15 minute show, 5 minute warm up with the Discovery Island Drummers and then 2 songs.

Unimpressive.

The thing that got the most audience attention was when the kites crash “landed” at the end of each song.

Also the way the kites are brought in, they are going to be destroyed in a matter of weeks.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That may be the case but on social media there is no clear distinction.
That's why you should never read too much into these kinds of things.
Some of the people that worked on this and tried their best are no doubt reading those comments.
It's good to look at reviews... The harsher the reviews are, usually the worse the show is... It's business, not feelings. If you're good at what you do, you take your criticisms, learn from them, and move on. In the entertainment industry, your most powerful input is from the general public, because that is who you're entertaining. If you don't impress them, then your show just sucks. Simple as that.
Again, I think the show is a cute, fun idea for that space.
A cute and fun idea doesn't mean that it was successful or carefully thought out. Hopefully they learned something from this experience.... The sad part is they should have learned what they did before the show debuted with issues. Much like Harmonius.
Would I rather have a 100 million dollar production of a different amazing show? Sure.
Not necessary. In fact, ridiculous, even. Everyone knows money doesn't make a show better. Money just adds spectacle. There are 7 elements of theatre/entertainment... If you choose to only focus on spectacle, then you're doing it wrong. (Which is why Disney has been failing recently)

You can make a good show with hardly no budget. Great Moments in History comes to mind... Voices of Liberty... Citizens of Hollywood... For this space, a World of Color style show would be best fit for an ampitheater in front of water. There's not much else they can do successfully.

Disney's new entertainment crew for nighttime spectaculars and generic entertainment has been sucking monkey balls with all the new stuff and budget cuts. Those people that have worked "so hard" should probably be replaced by now. Other people have done much better jobs at creating entertainment with far less.

Business is business. If someone else is better at the job, go get them. Feelings only come in to play at your local school's production of "Aladdin" where the least talented kid plays Jasmine because she's the principal's daughter... THAT's where a pat on the back and a "good for them" comes into play. Not a multi-billion dollar company. lol

Dan Deesnee

I won't be giving them the equivalent of participation trophies. Hard work isn't a reward in and of itself. The results are what matters. A for effort doesn't really fly... just like their kites! Budget isn't to blame. Top brass thinking this a good idea was/is the issue. A small offering like this is a great idea on paper but the concept has to actually work for it to be successful. Assuming they just licensed it out - Did anyone actually watch the performances of similar shows or test it's feasibility before greenlighting it?

So let me get this straight. You think that it's acceptable for social media to trash the show and therefore all the creative people that had to build it and try to make it work?

As you said blame the top brass, but I doubt that makes it any easier to watch everyone tear what you've been doing apart. These (non top brass) people were probably given less than 6 months to conceptualize, design, build, and get into operation a show that can only work if done on a lagoon. They were then given, from what I understand, an exceedingly limited budget.

This is what's called being set up for failure. I doubt anyone in the industry would have been able to pull off a great show under those conditions.

But you're right, let's not give them participation trophies as you said, let's just grab our pitchforks and get behind everybody else...

ArmoredRodent

There's this tiktok flying around..

Although I actually like the show and think it's quite fixable, I'll be surprised if Legal doesn't recommend that it be shut down. Can you imagine if Baloo had crashed just a few feet further along, through the railing at whatever bar that was, and into the people watching? The balloons are obviously hard to control. There was a time when Disney won all liability lawsuits, but that was a while ago.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So let me get this straight. You think that it's acceptable for social media to trash the show and therefore all the creative people that had to build it and try to make it work?
Yes. What you describe as “trash the show” is actually called a “review.”
As you said blame the top brass, but I doubt that makes it any easier to watch everyone tear what you've been doing apart.
It’s a multi billion dollar company. Not an elementary school show.
These (non top brass) people were probably given less than 6 months to conceptualize, design, build, and get into operation a show that can only work if done on a lagoon.
So they should have come up with a show that works or tell them that they can’t make that happen.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I can't help but think this could be salvaged if the larger kites were just tethered on poles attached to the jet skis. Maybe 15ft with 5 foot of string at the end? I don't know of course just thinking it'd be more manageable. Granted, the characters wouldn't be high above our heads. Alternatively, they could have used a wench or retractable reel to bring the kites back to the jetskis without crashing them.

Disney's Kamikaze Kites™

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

So up here in the north, sometimes you’ll look out your window and see
1633289051956.gif

Unfortunately, this is Connecticut KiteTails.

dreday3

Great discussion in here.

I hope this is still running when I go down with my kids. They already watched a bit on YouTube and they love it.

I mean, I feel like you can't not have a good time at this point! The music! The joy! The fear! The laughter!
I will feel triumphant if we get through a show with no mishaps!

For real though, I think this will be fun. I can't imagine being this upset over an 8 minute show offering where before we had nothing. :D

Honestly, Disney should jump on this and make t-shirts.

Dan Deesnee

I mean, I feel like you can't not have a good time at this point! The music! The joy! The fear! The laughter!
I will feel triumphant if we get through a show with no mishaps!

For real though, I think this will be fun. I can't imagine being this upset over an 8 minute show offering where before we had nothing. :D

Exactly. Some of the replies in here are honestly downright baffling and embarrassing. I believe I read someone that seems to be almost offended by the show's presence. Give me a break.

And if they didn't do anything here for years people would complain that any show would be better than nothing, and yet here we are. Oh well.

Now here's the real true missed opportunity, unless they are and I don't know it, but they should be selling kites right outside of the show.

Disneyson

If you were the kind of person that was hoping that Mr. Smee would be back on a jetski in the Seven Seas Lagoon to celebrate the 50th, then I wouldn't be surprised if you were the type that is grousing about this now but will pine for this show to come back for Animal Kingdom's 50th.

matt9112

Still baffles the mind that they haven't done World Of Color East in this particular segment of water. The answer was kites? Really?

....money.... granted they did create alot of infrastructure for rivers of light....but this lagoon was never meant for any show period. Anything is sort of a shoe horn. They should just build a traditional big theater where whirl and such was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom