News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

Squishy

For those saying this isn't a 'major' show and is just a cute little thing to see... Disney certainly thinks different... With different preshows and announcements leading up to the show... Upon watching the video last night, I laughed at how many times they said KITE TAILS. Imagineers/show designers are clueless and full of themselves.
Disney isn't calling it a show, they're calling it a "daytime activation".

ArmoredRodent

They did do a kite show (with a lot more) in Epcot many years ago: Surprise in the Skies. It also had daytime fireworks, ultra-light aircraft pulling the kites, and more performers. It only lasted a year.

Having said that, this isn't a disaster. It could be vastly improved with a few, low-cost changes, such as:
having some better script and message communication;
a big finale (that is, bigger than just the same two that had just been flying around); and
a better landing routine (especially with no jetskiis flipping over).

Tom Morrow

I thought people hated Rivers of Light?

I think -most- people had valid criticisms rather than outright hating it. The original version had potential but needed additions and some re-working. Disney unfortunately took the wrong lessons from the feedback and shoehorned in IP without addressing the actual complaints about the show.

But that said, two things: 1. I think many complaining had no idea how much lower they could sink than Rivers of Light, and 2. I think everyone can agree that it would be better to have kept it than this embarrassment.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think -most- people had valid criticisms rather than outright hating it. The original version had potential but needed additions and some re-working. Disney unfortunately took the wrong lessons from the feedback and shoehorned in IP without addressing the actual complaints about the show.

But that said, two things: 1. I think many complaining had no idea how much lower they could sink than Rivers of Light, and 2. I think everyone can agree that it would be better to have kept it than this embarrassment.
Yeah rivers of light IMO lacked some wow moments especially with the ending. It had potential tho. Throw in a few drones and maybe some low fireworks without the pop/bang that might affect animals you might have something

Comped

They did do a kite show (with a lot more) in Epcot many years ago: Surprise in the Skies. It also had daytime fireworks, ultra-light aircraft pulling the kites, and more performers. It only lasted a year.

Having said that, this isn't a disaster. It could be vastly improved with a few, low-cost changes, such as:
having some better script and message communication;
a big finale (that is, bigger than just the same two that had just been flying around); and
a better landing routine (especially with no jetskiis flipping over).
Not to be confused with the other ultra-light show from a couple of decade ago, Skyleidoscope, which actually had very similar things involved. That show was also one of the rare shows where a performer actually died during practice or performance of it. It also didn't last long.

Castle Cake Apologist

Im just gonna say my peace and that’ll be that. Both versions of the show are cute and something different to enjoy during your day. This was never promised to be the Fantasmic of Animal Kingdom. It’s a colorful and fun festival of kites and that’s okay. Y’all are real quick to tear apart a show you haven’t even seen in person. You all constantly beg for new and more entertainment. They tried to step out of the box and do something different and fun. Don’t pretend to champion more entertainment and then tear it down before you’ve seen it in person.

..and by the way, the show isn’t “cheap”.. The large kites were designed in Australia and the props used by the cast in the theatre were made by Michael Curry. Literally, millions were put into this.

Telling us that this show literally cost millions doesn't help lol. It honestly just shows that the massive spending problem at WDI is spreading to Entertainment now as well.

Asking for more entertainment offerings did not mean we wanted a regional amusement park show daytime activation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom