News Disney Junior's Fancy Nancy coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

imperate

It seems that Disney is not capable or willing to develop Disney Junior characters for boys anymore. My older son used to love breakfast with Jake, Oso, Hanny Manny, etc. They have all been replaced with characters more aligned to little girls. Why is PJ Mask not a meet and greet in the parks. I would think they are more popular for both boys and girls than Fancy Nancy.

Just a theory, but maybe this is because Disney can make more off of characters for girls than boys. It seems little girls are more inclined to come to the parks in full costume (dresses, accessories, etc.), then boys. From that perspective, I guess it makes financial sense.

peter11435

It seems that Disney is not capable or willing to develop Disney Junior characters for boys anymore. My older son used to love breakfast with Jake, Oso, Hanny Manny, etc. They have all been replaced with characters more aligned to little girls. Why is PJ Mask not a meet and greet in the parks. I would think they are more popular for both boys and girls than Fancy Nancy.

Just a theory, but maybe this is because Disney can make more off of characters for girls than boys. It seems little girls are more inclined to come to the parks in full costume (dresses, accessories, etc.), then boys. From that perspective, I guess it makes financial sense.
PJ Masks is not a Disney show

Jambo Joe

I thank that is part of it but if you look at Disney’s track record over the last few years many of their franchises have leaned to the left. Don’t want to engage in a political discussion but their handling of, for example, the Star Wars franchise or Wreck it Ralph 2 undermined a beloved franchise and a favorite newer movie. I can’t even imagine what a toothless bunch of dolts all the men will be in Frozen 2. And the MCU is about to get captain marvelized and the previews are full of annoying girl power quotes that the excellent Wonder Woman movie did not have to lean on.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Which is why I am surprised they haven't used Figment for a CG based series. His purpose of Imagination would work PLUS they can used the cancelled title of the planned show and revamp the name to Figment's Dreamfinders.

tissandtully

You know boys can like Fancy Nancy too, I don't see it as being targeted to girls at all. It's based on a series of books that's very popular in elementary schools that everyone participates in. My son likes Fancy Nancy and Vampirina.

peter11435

I thank that is part of it but if you look at Disney’s track record over the last few years many of their franchises have leaned to the left. Don’t want to engage in a political discussion but their handling of, for example, the Star Wars franchise or Wreck it Ralph 2 undermined a beloved franchise and a favorite newer movie. I can’t even imagine what a toothless bunch of dolts all the men will be in Frozen 2. And the MCU is about to get captain marvelized and the previews are full of annoying girl power quotes that the excellent Wonder Woman movie did not have to lean on.

My son loves doc mctuffins and vamperina.

ThatMouse

I'm sure folks said the same thing about Playhouse Disney....not everything that caters to kids is trash.

I understand it's ages 3 to 8, but when you bring it into the theme park, it just looks trashy. Placing this cheap looking computer generated crap into Animation of all places is annoying. Also isn't this where Soundstage Restaurant was a long time ago? So it just multiplies my hate for this product.

janoimagine

I understand it's ages 3 to 8, but when you bring it into the theme park, it just looks trashy. Placing this cheap looking computer generated crap into Animation of all places is annoying. Also isn't this where Soundstage Restaurant was a long time ago? So it just multiplies my hate for this product.
I hate to say it but the days of old school animation like we grew up with are going away ... these new shows are cheaper, faster and easier to produce than the old school cell animation ... sure they could make the new shows look like the old ones ... but they don't seem to click with the kids.

The new Scooby Doo looks cool, a throwback ... but it scares my little one, and the story arc is a little unusual.

My kids love these shows ... I have tried getting them to watch the classic Donald Ducks and Pluto Cartoons I loved, but they like these ones better ... and honestly, at their core, most have better messages for the kids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My daughter has moved on from most of the Disney Jr shows and now watches mostly netflix when she is allowed to watch TV...Monster High and Ever After High come to mind. I shake my head when I see those on..... 😑

She will still watch Fancy Nancy and Vampirina from time to time...DW cannot stand Nancy. lol

FoozieBear

This is such an incorrect comment. These shows aren't developed or marketed as anything gender-specific, they're made with the intent of creating entertaining content for children while teaching them valuable life lessons. Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First were very popular with boys, and for good reason, they were shows that taught lessons of honesty and kindness, with well-rounded memorable characters.

As a side note anyway, Disney Junior still has a wide variety of shows that are similar to those that you mentioned with Jake and Handy Manny, etc. including Muppet Babies and Puppy Dog Pals.

imperate

This is such an incorrect comment. These shows aren't developed or marketed as anything gender-specific, they're made with the intent of creating entertaining content for children while teaching them valuable life lessons. Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First were very popular with boys, and for good reason, they were shows that taught lessons of honesty and kindness, with well-rounded memorable characters.

As a side note anyway, Disney Junior still has a wide variety of shows that are similar to those that you mentioned with Jake and Handy Manny, etc. including Muppet Babies and Puppy Dog Pals.

I have to disagree. While shows like Doc, Sofia, Vampirina, etc. are great and my older son watched them a lot, they are marketed toward little girls. Just look at the merchandise for sale. You may find one t-shirt with Stuffy on it that is not pink / purple in a girls cut. Almost everything is tailored for girls.

Disney seemed to miss the mark recently creating Junior characters that would be marketed more to boys, or it is a conscious effort in their direction. Shows like Oso, Hanny Manny, Jake & the Neverland pirates, etc. did. And yes, little girls liked them too. But you would find more merchandise for BOTH boys and girls & they had Meet & Greets for them in the parks alongside Sofia & Doc. It was more balanced.

But new episodes died off years ago: Oso(2012), Hammy Manny (2013), Jake (2016), and they were pulled from the parks soon after. Any new shows Henry Hugglemonster, Miles (ended 2018), Liongaurd, etc. never seemed to get the push into the parks after years of success like a Fancy Nancy, who's first episode was just 8 months a go...

Jambo Joe

I have to disagree. While shows like Doc, Sofia, Vampirina, etc. are great and my older son watched them a lot, they are marketed toward little girls. Just look at the merchandise for sale. You may find one t-shirt with Stuffy on it that is not pink / purple in a girls cut. Almost everything is tailored for girls.

Disney seemed to miss the mark recently creating Junior characters that would be marketed more to boys, or it is a conscious effort in their direction. Shows like Oso, Hanny Manny, Jake & the Neverland pirates, etc. did. And yes, little girls liked them too. But you would find more merchandise for BOTH boys and girls & they had Meet & Greets for them in the parks alongside Sofia & Doc. It was more balanced.

But new episodes died off years ago: Oso(2012), Hammy Manny (2013), Jake (2016), and they were pulled from the parks soon after. Any new shows Henry Hugglemonster, Miles (ended 2018), Liongaurd, etc. never seemed to get the push into the parks after years of success like a Fancy Nancy, who's first episode was just 8 months a go...
Agreed. And to my prior posting - it isn’t that a boy couldn’t watch it it’s just there are very few male characters to emulate. They are often the sidekicks or followers on these shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom