Disney job info needed badly!!!

cwdisney

Original Poster
:( :D

I need some serious help here guys. You may remember me from a while ago. I need help on getting a job at disneyworld. Have all the qualifications, as my wife does also. We live in Alaska and fly there ever year and stay in a resort and to tell you the truth hardest part of going is having to leave. So I figured i'll try like hell to get a job there. I lived in florida for quite a while and am ready to go.

What I need info on is were to apply for a job, what is the auctual chance of it ever happening? What does disney look for and what is required to work there? I have a true obession with disneyworld and know ever little fact I can get the rides there. [for instance- Flume water flow amount in Splash Mointain, were the engines were made at on thunder mountain, and even who designed all the animatronics of Pirates of the Caribbean. Sorry, didn't mean to rant on. Please, any help would be appreciated.

CWDisney Disney world freak:cool:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You can try the Casting Centre on property. I will get you the phone number when I get home later today. There are pleanty of seasonal positions, but the salaried permanent stuff is rare, especially with the last round of lay offs.

I wouldnt say it is the best time to think of packing up and relocating to WDW, unless you have enough money that an hourly job there doesnt matter.

popkid

i've also heard (in my own disney job hunting) that they tend to hire from within for the bigger positions...

i was told that you may start out with a broom in your hand, but there are always oportunnites to advance... but then again, I was inquiring for a job at the Disney Travel Company, and this was before the layoffs - so who knows what the story is now...

once can't help but look at the casting building and wonder though...

cwdisney

Original Poster
Thanks everone

Thanks for the info. Except for the DORK talking about me asking for for a job.
Everone else, thank you.

:p DisneyWorld is the place for me!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: Thanks everone

Originally posted by cwdisney
Thanks for the info. Except for the DORK talking about me asking for for a job.
Everone else, thank you.

:p DisneyWorld is the place for me!!

Dont mess with MrPromey!!! :) He's a wealth of great information.

Ryan

okay now before you read this know that this post is my OWN opinion and should be taken as that only....

Working for Disney has it's ups and downs. We all know what the ups are, like free admission and being a part of the disney family, discounts, etc. But as for making a career out of Disney it's not like it was back when Paul Pressler and Al Weiss were everyday Joes. The Disney of today is very different than those days. Today they have thousands of stock holders that are expecting a hefty return on their investment. If you follow the market at all you realize that this is not happening for Disney. That's why we have seen the layoffs and hiring freezes happening at Disney. It's sad, because the Disney Attractions division of WD Co. is by far the number one profit maker of the entire company. From what I have discovered, it is possible to start as a broom pusher and with a lot of persistence and hard work, you can make your way up to bottom management, possibly middle management. But that's as far as you will go in today's Disney World. (cute eh?) When Disney wants to put someone in an upper management position today, they look outside the company for the most part. In my department, over half of the decision makers were from outside companies or divisions. I suppose this is because these people have creative juices other than Disney running through them. They also have the experience Disney wants, but doesn't provide. One of my best freinds and I were in perfect postions to go into management with Disney and we both realized what I had just wrote here. There really is a glass ceiling for Disney employees that start with the company and don't leave to get experience elsewhere. With so many people trying to do the same thing as you and having the same qualifications as you, it's near impossible to be noticed. Unfortunatly, I returned to Michigan to finish my degree or who knows where I could of ended up. I was going to be offered a position to be a brand manager of Epcot in marketing and that would of been awesome. But then I didn't have my degree yet either, so I would of been stuck. So who knows? It's possible, but unlikely. So....go with your dreams, but keep your eyes open as well. My suggestion is to get experience at a company that you can move up quickly through and THEN go back to Disney and see what they offer you. I gaurentee your salery will be higher. By the way, Steve??? Can you hire me? lol :D

Mikejakester

You can do whatever you want if you have the right education and experience.... What about this Disney college program for engineers architecs and graphic desiners?
isin't that the place were they get most of their HIGH position jobs from?

I mean, why would they put a guy with a broom at a high position when you have all these profesional on the other side of the road?

Correct me if Im wrong, but the experience you get in the streets of Disney might not be the same in an office or a drawing board...

I could be wrong about all this but you guys can fill me in...

Right now Im studying Mechanical Engineering at The Politecnic Institute of Puerto Rico, and planing to go to the Disney College program during my junior or senior year (by the way, does anyone know how hard it is to get there?) after that I want to come back and finish my degree and do a master on structural Engineering, and after that I want to see what my oportunities are...

What are my chances of working at Disney Steve?

Thelazer

Hi Everyone.. I saw this subject and wanted to give you some input on working at the Disney Parks.

First some background. I have been on the Disney College Program, as well as having worked in the parks as well.

For those of you thinking that the college program is going to show you how to obtain a managment job at Disney.. or that you'll be working in some high level office writeing up reports.. FORGET ABOUT IT!

You will be taught how to sweep, clean, ask how many in a party, wash dishes and serve ice cream bars. These are the jobs the college program is there to fill. Yes I said, "there to fill" make no bones about it. You'll learn nothing more about "running a major company" than you'd learn working at your local bank. Your there, as cheap labor to fill jobs. Yep, you get paid less than those who are full timers.. You also pay for your rent as well.
You will learn quite alot about kissing up to the boss, and dealing with late night parties.

Now, don't think it's all bad. It's not, there is a LOT of good parts to the program. But please, DO NOT think of it as some great old Disney Happy Day's Advanture, you will be dis-illusioned fast.

Now, as far as getting a full time job there. Again, you can walk in off the street. Go into casting, you can wear nothing more than jeans and a t-shirt.. and you WILL get a job. 100%. If you speak english you have A JOB.

For those who want upper level mangment, you could start at the bottem and work your way up. It will take at least 2 years of makeing 6:45 a hour doing grunt work.. and that is not a gurentee.. it's very likely you will NOT suceed into any mangement level. Again, Disney needs people to do the grunt work first.

Should you want to become mangment, you'll need a degree from college [4 years would be best] you also will want to have experence as a manager some where else as well. Again, you could start at the bottem and work your way up. It won't be easy and be forwarned ALOT! ALOT! of people have come before you and didn't make it up the ladder.. your chances are not good.

Jay

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom