Disney, its all about "Opportunity Cost" as I like to call it

Willmark

Original Poster
NOTE: this thread is not in any way intended to be political.

Here goes: Disney is all about "Opportunity Cost", in so much that "Opportunity Cost" largely speaks to time and to a lesser degree money. This isn't about the money aspect per se, because regardless of how much or little one spends you're ultimately there on site at some point and cost becomes subordinate to time. But paradoxically is not entirely absent, read on to see what I mean. For those who I've interacted with in various threads touching on these subjects you've heard me state this before.

In the various threads going on right now in the General Forum there are topic being discussed like Autism and accommodations, the ever popular stroller and EVC scooters mashups. Hell, someone even resurrected an 11 year old thread about people putting diapers on their older (i.e. closer to 10 year old kids) to save time in terms of bathroom breaks....(WTH is that)? There are various recriminations usually leveled pro and con in this debates, but a while back I started to wonder the "why" of it rather than the "who" of it.

So what is "Opportunity Cost"? Every day at the park, on premise or at a restaurant... the clock is ticking from the time you get there to the time you board the return Magical Express. Tick, tick, tick. It is my contention that "Opportunity Cost" explains a lot of the various behaviors we see at WDW. From running through fountains, to drunks staggering around after "Drinking around the world" etc, kid temper tantrums, rude behavior, etc, you name it. Its not the sole reason, but its up there. The overwhelming sense I get from the forum and direct observation while on site is that whether consciously or not people are aware at some level that the clock is running and they have to cram everything in during the relatively short time allotted.

Now here is where it gets slightly political and ties into "Opportunity Cost" and intersects with money, stay with me.

Take any recent political event or cause of your choosing since the advent of Facebook (I self edited this so the point doesn't get lost). If you were pro <insert issue here> what did it really cost you if it did not directly effect you? For most people the expenditure of a couple of calories to clicking/tapping to change your avatar on Facebook, so in other words not much. Yeah I'm on the "good guy" side, I feel better about myself!

Now contrast this to something that does effect you directly, especially in terms of time at WDW... say waiting for someone and their party to get in line with DAC card for autism or some other disability or on a bus? If it means you're waiting no more than say 2-5 minutes is that really a lot? I think most people will agree that its not. Like the example I gave above, at this point it doesn't really "cost" a person anything other than a small bit of time. But as the "Opportunity Cost" increases and it starts to directly impact you at what point does it become an issue? Or in other words where does your activism check out and your own self interest ratchet up?

"Opportunity Cost" starts to really rear its ugly head quicker than one might imagine. Lets use my example above of 5 minutes. What happens if its 10? Most people are still probably OK, but what about 20,30, 40 or on top of the 10 you've already spent in line? To the bus you just missed? At some point it breaks down unless you're Mother Theresa. Is it always going to be an extra 30 minute wait? Probably not, nor is it going to always be just 2 or 5. Expand this out to waiting in line for QS or a restaurant or character meet and greets. Everyone has to wait (at least to some degree) but in the back of their minds? And if that adds up over the duration of your stay? Tick, tick, tick, the clock is still running and its not stopping.

Add to this cost and length of stay; now money makes a reappearance when time was/is far more important while you're there. The "accountant" of the family is now keenly aware of "just how much this is costing" in relation to time or my personal favorite I've heard in the parks: "Do you know how much I spent for this vacation?" To which I think or reply: "Yes within the same ball-park you did and a good chance I may have spent more." I've even heard it from one poster in a thread on this site who came out and said that she wanted to rush from thing to thing, beat everyone and if she could get a leg up on everyone else and she was entitled because of "how much she spent on the vacation" to which I replied with my statement above. In May 2017 we were fortunate to stay 11 days; that certainly took the pressure off. But a hypothetical family of 4, staying 4 days with you kids its even more pronounced and its during peak times because that was the only time you could get away? Tick, tick tick.

Now add tourism from around the world with different social norms. Add in other large groups, tick, tick tick. Every time you're waiting for something and someone else isn't that's "Opportunity Cost". As I noted in another thread there is very much is a Lord of the Flies quality to it.

To round it all: time is the one thing all of us in life are constrained by: no one gets more of it than anyone else in say a week which is roughly the length of a vacation, more or less. Regardless of how much you spend, where you stay etc you're constrained by the amount of a time that a park for example is open and by how much the interations of others around you impacts that time allotment.

I'm not condemning anyone for their views nor am I endorsing any behavior, this thread is more of a "it is what it is" statement of the way I see it right now: people will talk a good game on their actions especially when the personal cost to them is low. But when it starts to impact them personally? That's were people start falling by the wayside and where the disagreements start. And with the human condition being what it is every one draws the line differently. And to bring it full circle, tick, tick, tick... the clock is running.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

My Disney vacations have mostly been for a period of 14 days. There were some that were because of work schedule and availability, cut down to 10 days. I knew I had x number of days and x number of hours in a day to complete the list of things I wanted to enjoy. I knew how many days I'd spend in each park. I knew how much I could expect to do in a full day. Time was on my side because of good planning on my part. I had the luxury of taking my time and enjoying more at a leisurely pace. But things changed drastically as the crowds started to increase and it limited my time to get things done. More time spent in lines, more waiting for food services, meant less things accomplished in a day. I now have to rush more to enjoy what I can in the parks because of the knowledge that I'm getting less done than I used to. A full park day accomplishes so much less. I am getting less for my time than ever before. It affects my level of enjoyment and my attitude, knowing that Disney wants to continue adding more guests into the same space with less things to occupy their time.

geekza

I think you make some good points. I think the universal constant that comes up is cost. No WDW trip is cheap, whether it's for a single day or two weeks. For some folks that single day might be the most money they're spending on something all year. The folks who can afford long trips, except for a small percentage who are very wealthy, are still paying a hefty sum in relation to their available funds. The opportunity cost for someone who can only spend a day because that's all they can afford compared to someone who can only spend a day now, but know that they'll be able to afford to come back again at a later date is obviously much higher. Still, for the majority of guests in the park at a single time, I'd hazard to guess, are wanting to get the maximum experience for the time and money that they've spent in order to get there. The current state of the guest experience in the parks is diminished from what it was in the past and the cost has only continued to rise. That's a cauldron of exhaustion, anger, and frustration waiting to boil over.

Paper straw fan

I live in FL and I am a passholder, so I haven't been a rope drop, or stay all day and night trying to maximize my time at the parks. But there's always another day for me, I can be happy doing my 3 FP's and then just walk around, eat, people watch and maybe enjoy a show- but for someone on maybe a once a decade vacation to WDW for 3-5-7 days maybe I can understand their patience being a tad thinner (I cant imagine how mad they get at the weather here in the summer)

That said, to me it's just relative to the situation. Having to wait because of unavoidable events (weather, ride breaking down) I get, no biggie. But the 30 seconds I have to take to go around the family blockading the FP line? RAGE

jloucks

This is all closely related to the old adage "time=money."

Depending on how you look at it (thru opportunity cost spectacles) it does!

So, yea, lost time adds up. Time lost to line cutters. Time lost to cheaters. Time lost to 'legitimate' reasons. At least, legitimate to some.

As I age, I start to realize how very valuable time is. Some would say, there is nothing of more value. We are all headed for the dirt. We all have finite time. All I ask is that nobody take any from me, unfairly by force, if at all possible.

Tick tock

scavarsi-la-fossa.jpg

Dad 2 M & M

Opportunity cost has zero to do with money and pertains to utils (economic measure of satisfaction) and marginal utility. The concept is what you could have done instead, had you chosen the next best option (opportunity). An example would be you are deciding between the options of a TS meal at Skipper's Canteen or riding Peter Pan (assume both are the same wait). If you chose the TS and Skipper's, riding Peter Pan would be your Opportunity Cost. Sorry I rambled as the Economist in me took over......

Now, as far as the content of this thread, time does factor heavily in the Opportunity Cost at Disney (or anywhere) and could be negatively influenced by anything that increases wait times. In my Table Service/Peter Pan example, let's say you chose Peter Pan (again, you assumed the waits for Skipper's and Peter Pan were the same), and while waiting in line, in front of you the coach of a domestic cheerleader team allowed her entire team to join her in line and caused you wait to increase by 10 minutes. Your Opportunity cost would now grow to not only the TS meal you opted out of, and another 10 minutes of which you could have ridden It's a Small World.

Those "10 minutes" can really add up as the day progresses...by the end of a day your Opportunity cost could be as high as forfeiting It's a Small World, Buzz Lightyear, and grabbing a scoop of ice cream on Main Street.....again, to your point, time is really valuable when it is in the finite constraints as in a day at Disney

SteveAZee

Perceived opportunity costs vary depending on the cause... I think people are more forgiving of additional 'costs' due to weather or attractions being down vs. costs that come from the rudeness, selfishness, or just plain cluelessness of fellow guests.

JIMINYCR

Perceived opportunity costs vary depending on the cause... I think people are more forgiving of additional 'costs' due to weather or attractions being down vs. costs that come from the rudeness, selfishness, or just plain cluelessness of fellow guests.

People know theres nothing they can do about the weather, you have to accept it and move under cover or move on to a ride thats operating. Attractions being down... you understand youre dealing with a mechanized ride and it may misfunction, theres some anger but its still understandable. The rude, selfish or clueless guests are much more difficult to take because you are thinking Why arent they operating under the same rules I am? Why arent they being penalized for their improper behavior? They are not being held to the standards I am setting for myself as a respectful, rule abiding guest and I am losing out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Opportunity cost has always been monetized by Disney. It’s just a business practice. Park hoppers, character buffets, dinner shows...those are all prices because of combining entertainment and you pay for it.

It has gotten much more blatantly cash grab by Spray tan bob, however. Everyone is free to disagree...but you’d be wrong. There is no hiding it.

Shouldigo12

NOTE: this thread is not in any way intended to be political.

Here goes: Disney is all about "Opportunity Cost", in so much that "Opportunity Cost" largely speaks to time and to a lesser degree money. This isn't about the money aspect per se, because regardless of how much or little one spends you're ultimately there on site at some point and cost becomes subordinate to time. But paradoxically is not entirely absent, read on to see what I mean. For those who I've interacted with in various threads touching on these subjects you've herd me state this before.

In the various threads going on right now in the General Forum there are topic being discussed like Autism and accommodations, the ever popular stroller and EVC scooters mashups. Hell, someone even resurrected an 11 year old thread about people putting diapers on their older (i.e. closer to 10 year old kids) to save time in terms of bathroom breaks....(WTH is that)? There are various recriminations usually leveled pro and con in this debates, but a while back I started to wonder the "why" of it rather than the "who" of it.

So what is "Opportunity Cost"? Every day at the park, on premise or at a restaurant... the clock is ticking from the time you get there to the time you board the return Magical Express. Tick, tick, tick. It is my contention that "Opportunity Cost" explains a lot of the various behaviors we see at WDW. From running through fountains, to drunks staggering around after "Drinking around the world" etc, kid temper tantrums, rude behavior, etc, you name it. Its not the sole reason, but its up there. The overwhelming sense I get from the forum and direct observation while on site is that whether consciously or not people are aware at some level that the clock is running and they have to cram everything in during the relatively short time allotted.

Now here is where it gets slightly political and ties into "Opportunity Cost" and intersects with money, stay with me.

Take any recent political event or cause of your choosing since the advent of Facebook (I self edited this so the point doesn't get lost). If you were pro <insert issue here> what did it really cost you if it did not directly effect you? For most people the expenditure of a couple of calories to clicking/tapping to change your avatar on Facebook, so in other words not much. Yeah I'm on the "good guy" side, I feel better about myself!

Now contrast this to something that does effect you directly, especially in terms of time at WDW... say waiting for someone and their party to get in line with DAC card for autism or some other disability or on a bus? If it means you're waiting no more than say 2-5 minutes is that really a lot? I think most people will agree that its not. Like the example I gave above, at this point it doesn't really "cost" a person anything other than a small bit of time. But as the "Opportunity Cost" increases and it starts to directly impact you at what point does it become an issue? Or in other words where does your activism check out and your own self interest ratchet up?

"Opportunity Cost" starts to really rear its ugly head quicker than one might imagine. Lets use my example above of 5 minutes. What happens if its 10? Most people are still probably OK, but what about 20,30, 40 or on top of the 10 you've already spent in line? To the bus you just missed? At some point it breaks down unless you're Mother Theresa. Is it always going to be an extra 30 minute wait? Probably not, nor is it going to always be just 2 or 5. Expand this out to waiting in line for QS or a restaurant or character meet and greets. Everyone has to wait (at least to some degree) but in the back of their minds? And if that adds up over the duration of your stay? Tick, tick, tick, the clock is still running and its not stopping.

Add to this cost and length of stay; now money makes a reappearance when time was/is far more important while you're there. The "accountant" of the family is now keenly aware of "just how much this is costing" in relation to time or my personal favorite I've heard in the parks: "Do you know how much I spent for this vacation?" To which I think or reply: "Yes within the same ball-park you did and a good chance I may have spent more." I've even heard it from one poster in a thread on this site who came out and said that she wanted to rush from thing to thing, beat everyone and if she could get a leg up on everyone else and she was entitled because of "how much she spent on the vacation" to which I replied with my statement above. In May 2017 we were fortunate to stay 11 days; that certainly took the pressure off. But a hypothetical family of 4, staying 4 days with you kids its even more pronounced and its during peak times because that was the only time you could get away? Tick, tick tick.

Now add tourism from around the world with different social norms. Add in other large groups, tick, tick tick. Every time you're waiting for something and someone else isn't that's "Opportunity Cost". As I noted in another thread there is very much is a Lord of the Flies quality to it.

To round it all: time is the one thing all of us in life are constrained by: no one gets more of it than anyone else in say a week which is roughly the length of a vacation, more or less. Regardless of how much you spend, where you stay etc you're constrained by the amount of a time that a park for example is open and by how much the interations of others around you impacts that time allotment.

I'm not condemning anyone for their views nor am I endorsing any behavior, this thread is more of a "it is what it is" statement of the way I see it right now: people will talk a good game on their actions especially when the personal cost to them is low. But when it starts to impact them personally? That's were people start falling by the wayside and where the disagreements start. And with the human condition being what it is every one draws the line differently. And to bring it full circle, tick, tick, tick... the clock is running.
I agree with you. I know there are some things I wouldn't mind in my daily life that would bother me in the park. Take the autism/DAC thread. If a parent of an autistic child asks to get ahead of me in the grocery store (or any disability really) I wouldn't care. But at Disney World, where wait times may already be at an hour and it's not one parent with a disabled child but more than that? That starts to be a problem. I don't have to pay to enter the grocery store (for the groceries yes, but not just to enter). I have to pay a lot to get to DW. I wouldn't say this makes people less moral though, just that there are more factors at hand that complicate things.

Goofyernmost

I can't argue with any of it, but, as you get older you will undoubtedly automatically understand that none of that really applies to visiting a Disney Theme Park. Most of those that would even think about that approach are quantity visitors. That would be people that can, do and plan to go often. In the beginning, at least, there should be no concern about opportunity costs, because there will always be an expected additional opportunity.

Overall, general life does have an Opportunity Cost due to the fact that life has an absolute beginning and an absolute end, but, we don't know when that end will come. However, when looking at it as a life situation many things would have a higher priority then riding PoTC. Honestly, to even have a consideration that it requires such a high degrees of emotional angst is also a considerable misplacement of priorities.

Even applying it to actual money spent is so subject to variation that it is almost impossible to draw any line in the sand to consider how much that time is really worth. That means that the cost can very well be much more significant to someone with lesser resources then someone with plenty of funding possibilities. Whatever the case may be, since going to the parks is completely voluntary the very idea that anyone that knows how the systems work would be upset about it actually working that way is borderline insanity. It's like saying, if I get real angry internally, that line will move quicker. In reality timing is indeed everything.

Willmark

Original Poster
^ I’m not sure what to make of this given you’re contradicting yourself or appear to.

I’ve read this several times and each time I’ve come away with a different meaning.

Goofyernmost

^ I’m not sure what to make of this given you’re contradicting yourself or appear to.

I’ve read this several times and each time I’ve come away with a different meaning.
That is because the idea contradicts itself. You don't need Opportunity Cost thought if you are going to be a steady guest, because what you miss this time you can see next time.

And if you are a one time, first time, visitor opportunity cost would have no frame of reference. You don't know what you didn't see so there is no value put on any of that part. If you enjoyed your visit you would feel that you got your money's worth.

The idea about what would be necessary wouldn't even kick in until your second visit and then you have already established that you probably will be coming back another time and what you miss this time you can see the next time.

That leaves the only people that have any thought of OC would be commando touring which is to tiring to even care about. :happy::) It is a very confusing topic and one that I dare say would only be a conscious thought of those of us that have way to much time on our hands. Even commando's don't do it based on costs per event, they do it with goal motivation. Just to do as much as they possibly can.

jloucks

That leaves the only people that have any thought of OC would be commando touring which is to tiring to even care about. :happy::) It is a very confusing topic and one that I dare say would only be a conscious thought of those of us that have way to much time on our hands. Even commando's don't do it based on costs per event, they do it with goal motivation. Just to do as much as they possibly can.

Not so much tiring, but painful. Why would you want to run around without underwear? That is odd. ...and leaves you prone to mega chaffing.

I would recommend not going commando to WDW. Maybe if you wear a kilt. Maybe.

I'm sure somebody would land in the pokey tho.

:p:p;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom