disney is hot for mba's!

epcot71

Original Poster
disney was ranked number 8 out of 50 for top 50 companies that mba students wnat to work at!last year disney was number 13 and rose up 5 points.-this was a fortune magazine survey of about 5 thousand senior year mba's.

this in my mind tells me that disney is an awsome place to work!-why????
well over the last 10 years big companies know they have to attract talented mba's with perks and good salaries so knowing this if disney is ranked number 8 before companies like nike and coca-cola it shows that disney is doing something right to attract mbas.:) :) :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't know a SINGLE CM in any department that has an MBA... i know a few with BBA's and PhD's but no MBA's. I'll ask around. Hell.. my degree is in history, but my second degree I'm working on now is a Public Relations (yes I'm 20, yes I have a degree! don't ask.. the FL education system is VERY lenient. I was a junior in college when I graduated from High School)

epcot71

Original Poster
from what i understand most mbas are recruited for business planning positions to work for the walt disney company-in california corporate headquarters also alot go to consumer products.chances are u wont find a lot of mbas like u said in the parks-hey man u should go all the way and get ur mba!this way u can live in sunny california and have lunch with eisner everyday-:D :D

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by epcot71
from what i understand most mbas are recruited for business planning positions to work for the walt disney company-in california corporate headquarters also alot go to consumer products.chances are u wont find a lot of mbas like u said in the parks-hey man u should go all the way and get ur mba!this way u can live in sunny california and have lunch with eisner everyday-:D :D

i wasn't talking about the parks. You obviously have no idea how high some of my connections within the Disney company run. I was referring to corporate CM's in FL located in Team Disney, Maingate Complex, and Celebration Place, as well as my friends in Disney Consumer Products in Puerto Rico.

cm1988

MBA's at WDW

Originally posted by mktiggerman
...don't know a SINGLE CM in any department that has an MBA...
In the backstage offices... the ones with doors (not cubicles). There dwell the MBA's.

joefox97

I'm working toward my MBA right now - so hopefully they'll still be hot for them when I get it.

My only problem with Disney being so HOT for MBA's is that they end up with the tight-wads managing every little thing and then customer satisfaction goes down. Damned penny-pinching bean-counters!

*looks around for a CPA to choke* :fork:

mkt

Premium Member
Re: MBA's at WDW

Originally posted by cm1988

In the backstage offices... the ones with doors (not cubicles). There dwell the MBA's.
yes.. the ones that my next-door neighbors work in... one has a PhD, and the other a masters in russian and slavic studies..

cm1988

Originally posted by joefox97
...My only problem with... MBA's is...managing every little thing ... customer satisfaction goes down....
That could happen if customer (guest) satisfaction took second place to cost savings. Hopefully, that is not the case. That would be something less than visionary thinking on the MBA's part.

joefox97

Well, the problem is (at least in my experience) MBA's are trained/engrained/brainwashed with the fact that money and the bottom line are what matter to a business. Let everyone else worry about customer satisfaction. This is great as long as you have upper management who can make the call between money and the guests... and up until recently, that's been the case. Unfortunately, bean-counter central @Disney has been slowly persuading the upper management folks (especially the upper management people in the parks and movie areas) that money matters, not the Disney name.

Proof:

1. Lack of upkeep of parks: There's a GREAT page out there that is listing park upkeep problems for all the WDW resorts - and apparently it's a site that folks up at DisneyWorld are paying attention to now... trying to find the URL... anyone have it?

2. Straight-to-video "sequels" of classics: What the HELL are they thinking? Since when did Cinderella's story go on after midnight?

3. Lay-offs. While they seem inevitable, I heard people complaining about how it was sometimes difficult to find a cast member when they needed something and that they weren't getting the same service they were used to. I know I chatted with a few of my CM friends who said that they had been re-assigned other people's tasks and were being asked to double up or split shifts and other things to take up for the slack of losing employees - and while they tried to make it go unnoticed to the extent possible - it was noticed.

Basically what it boils down to is that the people at the top (read: LOTS of people up at the top with BIG salaries, many of them unjustified) don't care about the parks or the Disney name - they care about the share holders and their bottom line.

My last point is that since these changes have started to come around (and again, the point could and probably will be made that there have been similar changes in the industry as of late, but Disney has avoided many of these fluxes in the entertainment sector by focusing on the successful sections of their company during lean times in others), the Disney stock has gone DOWN in price and DOWN in returns - Eisner's letter to the stockholder's has forecasted hope each year - and the stockholders (only those who are in it solely for revenue-generating) have been let down each year for the past couple of years. It has not produced the ROI that many people expected or that Eisner forecasted. It has instead, taken a turn for the worse.

Ideally, the Disney company would be managed from the bottom up. The lowest level of Cast members, i.e. those with the most experience and interaction with the guests and customers who know the MOST about what the consumer wants would tell their managers what they see. The managers would make whatever decisions were possible at their level and pass on the information up their bosses and so on, and so forth. The last people who would ever hear about ANYTHING would be the bean-counters - and all they'd be told is "We need money for this. Find it." This is how it was in Walt Disney's day, and that's how it should be. See Roy E. Disney's words for yourself in an exclusive interview (the whole text is available at http://www.wdwinfo.com/Roy_n_Eisner.htm): "My dad (Roy O. Disney was very much the financial mind in all their plans. People always said if you gave Walt $10 to build anything, he would spend $20. Well, it was then my dad's job to find that other $10!"

And to give Michael Eisner credit (and I do: He's done unimaginable things to bring Disney out of the hands of corporate raiders - and for that, he has all of us in his debt)... so take a look at his closing remarks from the 2001 Annual Report (http://disney.go.com/corporate/inve...roduction/letterToShareholders/wiseWords.html) and understand exactly how he feels about the Disney company.

Overall, Disney still does better than everyone else. But the question is: are they doing all they used to do, or are they cutting corners and are we letting them do it? Small things like constant care of paint/railings/signage/not abusing classic characters - little things that seem insignificant... but they are what set Disney apart from the average companies and make them what they have been and what they can continue to be... the BEST.

tahoe98

I want a job with Disney?!? I'm working on my MBA, too.

:veryconfu

I have been applying to Disney's professional recruitment for months (almost 9 now), and have yet to hear ANYthing. It is really quite frustrating.

I am working on my MBA and have a very high average (3.9+). I keep hoping that Disney's resume system will finally pick me in one of their searches, but--to date--nothing.

Any advice? Any suggestions? Anyone have an inside line to a position down in Florida?

Any help is much appreciated. I watch this forum often, but can also be reached at tahoe98@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Ben Boatright

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom