Disney is crazy expensive

BigRedDad

We are in our early phase of planning a Summer 2017 trip. I remember just a few (less than 5) years ago when you could go to Disney for $2,000 for a week. Now, with the ticket prices and nickel/diming, it is well over $3,000. Yes, there are places you can cut corners, but you are still impacted by the ticket prices.

We are currently running on the numbers. Since we will have not gone in 2 years, we are deciding to buy Annual Passes. This is due to the resort hotels going to insane prices, get free parking, and free Memory Maker. We just have to plan multiple trips in that AP year. We will also choose to stay offsite simply because the value of staying on property is no longer there. EMH is not much benefit because we usually avoid those parks anyway.

They cheapest of resorts is $1,200 for our initial week visit without a discount. This is at the All Star resorts. If a discount came out, it would still be $1,000. This puts us at $2,100 without food. Since there are no facilities at any of the non-DVC rooms, you are going to have to eat there. We bring our own breakfast foods and snacks. There is not enough space or easy way of having stuff for lunch, but lets assume you can. That means there is no additional cost for breakfast, lunch, and snacks since you have to eat at home anyway. That means dinners out. Going all out Mr Cheapskate, I could go for $2,500 for the most miserable trip possible to Disney World. That is cutting out all possible corners.

Yes, I know they have the "free dining" times, but most people with kids can't do it. Even then, you are still at rack rates on rooms and tickets.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I agree, but be prepared for the legion of faithful to come in here and explain why you are wrong.

It's magically inexpensive!
I am completely expecting. I love Disney and have been going since it opened (crapping in diapers then). However, if anyone flames saying it is not expensive, they are definitely not coming from a financial position of the lower middle class and below.

Upvote 0

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
dfd.jpg

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Dosney is stupid expensive. But you cant go to WDW anywhere else and life in general has gotten stupid expensive. I will go as long as i can afford to.

On a side note i just got back from a business trip in Orlando. Hit Disney Springs and resort hopped a few afternoons while i was there. Got my fix in to carry me over until our trip next summer.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Dosney is stupid expensive. But you cant go to WDW anywhere else and life in general has gotten stupid expensive. I will go as long as i can afford to.

On a side note i just got back from a business trip in Orlando. Hit Disney Springs and resort hopped a few afternoons while i was there. Got my fix in to carry me over until our trip next summer.

I drove thru Burger King last week, first time in several years. Ordered a Whopper Jr. It was $1.89. I was shocked, weren't they just 99cents not too long ago?!

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

wdw is expensive but lots of other places are as well. We are going skiing this year and a week of ski school(group lessons) alone for our little one are over 1,000....not including rentals. Throw in our lift tickets and rentals and we will be close to 2,000. That's not even touching flights, food, lodging.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Nothing worthwhile doing comes cheap anymore. Disney isnt any different than any other popular venue, prices continually rise over time. I cant think of any business or entertainment that has kept prices where they were 5 years ago. Which means planning further in advance, saving more and budgeting smarter. Unfortunately that means taking fewer trips or taking more time in between trips. I wont expect prices to go down at any time in the future either, so I'll save what I can and make the best trip I can with what I have.

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

wdw is expensive but lots of other places are as well. We are going skiing this year and a week of ski school(group lessons) alone for our little one are over 1,000....not including rentals. Throw in our lift tickets and rentals and we will be close to 2,000. That's not even touching flights, food, lodging.
Depends on where you ski. But by it's very nature, skiing is an expensive sport. As is scuba diving. Family oriented amusement parks should not be priced equivalent to skiing in Aspen and staying at The Gant.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Depends on where you ski. But by it's very nature, skiing is an expensive sport. As is scuba diving. Family oriented amusement parks should not be priced equivalent to skiing in Aspen and staying at The Gant.
Stowe this year and I'm floored by the prices for ski school

CO or NM were cheaper but not by a crazy amount.

My all inclusive trips to Mexico for 4 nights for two adults was only slightly less than our family of 3 for 7 nights at WDW

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

We are in our early phase of planning a Summer 2017 trip. I remember just a few (less than 5) years ago when you could go to Disney for $2,000 for a week. Now, with the ticket prices and nickel/diming, it is well over $3,000. Yes, there are places you can cut corners, but you are still impacted by the ticket prices.

We are currently running on the numbers. Since we will have not gone in 2 years, we are deciding to buy Annual Passes. This is due to the resort hotels going to insane prices, get free parking, and free Memory Maker. We just have to plan multiple trips in that AP year. We will also choose to stay offsite simply because the value of staying on property is no longer there. EMH is not much benefit because we usually avoid those parks anyway.

They cheapest of resorts is $1,200 for our initial week visit without a discount. This is at the All Star resorts. If a discount came out, it would still be $1,000. This puts us at $2,100 without food. Since there are no facilities at any of the non-DVC rooms, you are going to have to eat there. We bring our own breakfast foods and snacks. There is not enough space or easy way of having stuff for lunch, but lets assume you can. That means there is no additional cost for breakfast, lunch, and snacks since you have to eat at home anyway. That means dinners out. Going all out Mr Cheapskate, I could go for $2,500 for the most miserable trip possible to Disney World. That is cutting out all possible corners.

Yes, I know they have the "free dining" times, but most people with kids can't do it. Even then, you are still at rack rates on rooms and tickets.

Yes, it is :). Hence, this would be a choice.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Disney as well as other vacation destinations have increased prices in the last 5 years, but discounts can be found.

If you are buying an Annual Pass won't that cost you more money in the end if you have to plan for trips to make it worth it?

Anyway, again if you are getting an annual pass there are often discount offers on hotel rooms and even if you book now if a better offer comes out or when AP rates come out you can rebook book. This year the AP also has some good discounts on dining that you don't need Tables in Wonderland for, so you might want to look at eating at some of those restaurants to save money.

If you don't go with an AP there are some decent packages that come out. There are quite a few no fee Disney travel agencies that could help you plan as well, including Kingdom Konsultants that helps sponsor the site.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I have been running the scenarios and numbers over the last couple days trying to make the cost of going more palatable. The last time we went to WDW, the APs were around $550 (2014). We will most likely get 3 uses out of the 13 month AP window they are currently offering which will save us at least $1,000.

How the numbers are working out for our first stay will save us as well. We have a 1BR unit at WBC for 7-nights. The price I am paying is less than the current rates for 3 nights at the least expensive Value resort. Since it is only 3 of us, we don't necessarily need a 2BR unit. Having the AP saves us from paying for parking. Here is how the numbers work out for me for just the initial trip:

Tickets: $2600 (vs $1400)
Room: $500 (vs $1200 on the cheapest; $1600 for an equivalent DVC rental + $95 fee)
Parking: $0 (vs $0 on site)
Memory Maker: $0 (vs $150)
Dining/Merchandise: 20% discount (estimate $20 per day savings)

Funding the first trip, I will be about $250 on the bad side. The minute we take the second trip, I will be at least $1,000 on the good side. I know the argument for staying onsite. I just can't see spending $125 for the cheapest room on a discount when I am at $70 a night for a 1BR unit that would be equivalent to a DVC rental at $240+ a night. The only benefit I miss out on is EMH. Over the Summer that benefit is only for morning EMH which is not worth it for 1-hour. We usually avoid that park anyway. The night time hours are well within the range we would stay in a park at night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom