Disney is closing 20% of its brick-and-mortar Disney Stores before the end of the year

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How can we inspect the merch in-person to see whether it’s classic Disney quality or cheaply made stuff (since there’s no quality control whatsoever)? Maybe that’s the point... ;)

You know it’s the latter...and had been for along time.

Can’t get quality in mass orders. LE or nothing

Dad 2 M & M

How can we inspect the merch in-person to see whether it’s classic Disney quality or cheaply made stuff (since there’s no quality control whatsoever)? Maybe that’s the point... ;)
Additionally, Disney will have added a layer of insulation.......knows the bad taste of interior quality will be assigned to Target....
You know it’s the latter...and had been for along time.

Can’t get quality in mass orders. LE or nothing
right on.....

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Times Square store closed it’s larger second floor months ago. Now its a packed smaller ground floor with less collectibles. Looks like that will go.
Chuck E. Cheese's will may replace Times Square's Disney Store in near future. First floor will be birthday parties, dance floor with Chuck E. Cheese Live for birthdays and live shows, SkyTubes with kiddie rides and games. Second floor will be gameroom with many games, maybe a simulator ride and laser tag area.

Baloo62

I still think toys r us would have survived (even with the buyout that doomed them), if they had reinvented.
What doomed Toys R Us, as well as Circuit City and countless other big box retailers, was populating their stores with Burger King-caliber employees. Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Home Depot.

macefamily

Our closest Disney store is about an hour away in Hershey, PA. We have made the trip there for needed items so if that closes I guess we'll have to rely on online searches which stinks because I often cannot find exactly what I'm looking for 😞

Dad 2 M & M

Could be a fire sale of Disney items .

" STORE CLOSING, EVERYTHING MUST GO"
Yeah...with the Stores Closing being a “Clearinghouse” by “importing” all stale, slow moving merchandise....

Peeps love a sale..... get a steal when they buy that have to have $24.99 Mickey can opener for $16.99

Dad 2 M & M

Our closest Disney store is about an hour away in Hershey, PA. We have made the trip there for needed items so if that closes I guess we'll have to rely on online searches which stinks because I often cannot find exactly what I'm looking for 😞
There is still a Disney Outlet (one of the Mills Outlet Malls that are scattered about the US) in Concord Nc (north of Charlotte) that one can usually find a few good Parks Merch buys, with many barely discounted items ....

I haven’t been to Nashville in years, but there used to be one there as well

Debbie Dykeman

I think an article I read earlier stated that they believe Covid sped up the e-commerce push by 3-5 years. So I expect many platforms to do the same. I know Best Buy announced a similar move.

I just hope Disney Stores online platform improves, if you order in Canada you get dinged with crazy customs and duty fees.
I agree.... we need a Canadian online Disney store. I used to order to the closest border and drive across to get it, but can't do that at the minute. and the fees to ship directly to Canada are extreme.

Disstevefan1

I hope (but doubt) that this will come with a modernization of their ecommerce platform. Minimum $75 spend to get free SLOW shipping is unacceptable in 2021.
I really hope so, but if folks continue to buy stuff anyway they won’t change it. If they can prove loss of sales due to the current platform, then maybe they will fix it.

Mel29

"Disney said Wednesday that it will close 20% of its brick-and-mortar Disney Store locations before the end of the year as part of a bigger focus on its e-commerce business.

At least 60 of its North American locations will close, the company said, citing changing consumer behaviors and a desire to link its online shopping experience to its Disney Parks apps and social media platforms. There are about 300 Disney Stores worldwide.

“While consumer behavior has shifted toward online shopping, the global pandemic has changed what consumers expect from a retailer,” said Stephanie Young, president of consumer products, games and publishing.

The pandemic has accelerated the shift away from physical stores to digital shopping by about five years, according to data from IBM’s U.S. Retail Index. Industry-wide e-commerce sales jumped 32.4% to $791.7 billion in 2020, and that figure is only expected to grow.

Disney’s plan is to start by shuttering one-fifth of its Disney Store footprint and then evaluate where other closures may need to take place. The company is looking at Europe, in particular, as a place to make significant reductions.

The company declined to provide financial details about how closures will impact its results, but noted that there will be an undisclosed number of layoffs that coincide with the stores closing. Disney also declined to say which locations would be affected.

Notably, Disney’s other shopping experiences, which include more than 600 Disney Parks stores, shop-in-shop locations in stores like Target, lifestyle and outlet locations, and third-party retailers around the world will not be impacted.

Disney’s partnership with Target, which has placed miniature Disney Stores inside the discount retailer, has grown from 25 stores to more than 50 since 2019. The company declined to share plans for future locations.

The company says it will improve its current ShopDisney website and increase its product assortment to include more adult apparel collections, streetwear, premium home products and collectibles. Disney Stores tended to be a curated selection of children’s apparel, toys, plush and games. Online Disney will be able to cater to a wider demographic and expand its offerings.

Disney is expected to share more details about its website revamp and product releases in the future."

Very sad news!!! I do not live close to a Disney park so going to a Disney store allowed me to have some "Magic" whenever I went to the mall. I will really miss this... :(

dmw

In the Parks
No
A simple solution to the Disney online shopping shipping costs would be allowing a free delivery/pickup in a local Target.

I agree with previous comments that brick and mortar locations, especially in malls, were doomed prior to Covid. Our local mall was foreclosed on by the lender and is still at risk of closing, even though the lender brought in new management. It's hard for malls to survive when they lose major anchor stores like Sears, Macy's, JC Penny, etc.

ppete1975

What doomed Toys R Us, as well as Circuit City and countless other big box retailers, was populating their stores with Burger King-caliber employees. Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Home Depot.
the leveraged buyout didnt help, and not changing with the consumer. We have to realize peoples attention spans are shorter you have to grab them with experiences and new stuff. Also im sure divx didnt help circuit city.

Fox&Hound

This is so sad but not surprising. I fear the world the internet will eventually create. Anti-social beings who think they are being social online who never leave their homes and have nowhere to go because everything is shuttered.

ppete1975

This is so sad but not surprising. I fear the world the internet will eventually create. Anti-social beings who think they are being social online who never leave their homes and have nowhere to go because everything is shuttered.
1614896164148.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom