Disney in New Orleans?

The Duck

Original Poster
Being a lifelong resident of New Orleans (50 years) , I've often heard stories about how Walt was planning on building another Disneyland in the New Orleans area. Supposedly, word leaked out and land owners jacked up the prices of their property so Walt decided to build in Florida instead. Personally, I find the whole story hard to believe but I've been wondering if anyone else may have heard anything of this. My guess is that these people may have heard the story of Walt building New Orleans Square in Disneyland and gotten the whole thing mixed up with each generation adding to the legend. Recently, a co worker told me that Walt was looking at buying the land in Eastern New Orleans where Six Flags eventually would be built. In August 2005, Six Flags-New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and never reopened.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Before the Orlando area, I've always heard of 2 locations that Walt intended for Disney World...the first was St. Louis, the second was in the New England area.

c-one

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities on the planet, but I can't think of a less appropriate place for Disney. :lol:

diz4ever

I also live in the New orleans area, Disney would never build a park in the city of New Orleans for alot of reasons. Below sea level, no levee protection,high insurance costs,high taxes, too much crime, currupt policticians. No theme park can survive in this area, six flags was a bust.

The Louisiana urban legend is that Disney had looked at land near Robert, Louisiana (15 minutes east of Hammond; 45 north of NOLA). However, the politics of Louisiana made him consider the area for about 2 seconds before he changed his mind.

R W B

I've also heard this from different people and places. I heard exactly what you said about people being greedy and jacked up the prices on the land. It would of been something if it turned out to be true and actually happened.

I also live in the New orleans area, Disney would never build a park in the city of New Orleans for alot of reasons. Below sea level, no levee protection,high insurance costs,high taxes, too much crime, currupt policticians. No theme park can survive in this area, six flags was a bust.
A lot of what you listed was not a real problem back in the 50s/60s. Also IMO if Disney would of built in NOLA the city would be 100% different and not nearly as corrupt as it is and hey, we might just have better levees too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom