Disney Hollywood Studios getting renamed/rethemed?

DisneyNittany

If they expanded Indiana Jones (replaced the stunt show with a ride and maybe replace Star Tours with an attraction as well) and then somehow got Marvel rights (or figured out a few characters they have rights to, ala Guardians) to make a Marvel section in the Animation courtyard, they would have areas for Indy, Star Wars, Pixar, Muppets and Marvel. Then voila! ---

IGER ACQUISITION-LAND!!!

With the disclaimer that I do not have any idea of what the budget, infrastructure, etc. is/was for Hollywood Studios, I thought they really missed an opportunity to make more generic lands. I, personally, like the direction they are heading in, for the same reasons many alluded to. However, I think with just a few simple (again, see: disclaimer) changes, the park would feel a little more organic.

My super ignorant armchair imagineering for DHS would have been:

Hollywood Blvd: Stays the same, with the GMR never leaving the Theatre
Sunset Blvd: Same
Echo Lake: Same (sans Indy)
Animation Courtyard: Walt Disney Animation ONLY theme; Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway moved here
Pixar Place: TSL merges with Pixar Place; Toy Story is my favorite Pixar IP, but I'd like to visit Monstropolis (too similar to TSMM, but the Monsters, Inc. ride in Tokyo is brilliant) and other Pixar places too...bonus points since they're all supposed to be in the same universe
Lucas Film Area: From Indy to SWGE is all dedicated to Lucas Films
Marvel Land: Replace the area where RnRC and Racing Academy are with Marvel IP (maybe Tony Stark's Malibu house to stay with the Hollywood theme); Retheme RnRC to be something like "Tony Stark is allowing you to test pilot a new suit" or something like that (without actually using Iron Man) and replace Aerosmith with AC/DC music (like the Iron Man films).

erasure fan1

Coherent theming or originality isn't a priority. Advertising Disney's latest IP is, and the higher ups don't care what's being replaced so long as Chapek and his cronies keep crapping out whatever they're trying to advertise next.
Bingo! That's exactly right. Unfortunately, it hasn't really hurt the parks in the short term. So Disney has no motivation to put the extra effort into thematic integrity.

cookiee_munster

Disney+ is quite a formidable service. offering you all sorts of things from all sorts of studios/channels. i kind of think why don't they try to implement some form of that into hollywood studios? i guess one of the cons is it's not essentially just Hollywood Studios that has IP outside of the traditional disney classic brand, but i still think it's the park that draws most of it's IP from outside of that bubble.

Taking Marvel into consideration, I know that the avengers characters can't be used in the Florida park. But just to get some kind of grasp of what characters can, could some nice person please list a load of characters that can be used?

BlakeW39

Disney+ is quite a formidable service. offering you all sorts of things from all sorts of studios/channels. i kind of think why don't they try to implement some form of that into hollywood studios? i guess one of the cons is it's not essentially just Hollywood Studios that has IP outside of the traditional disney classic brand, but i still think it's the park that draws most of it's IP from outside of that bubble.

Taking Marvel into consideration, I know that the avengers characters can't be used in the Florida park. But just to get some kind of grasp of what characters can, could some nice person please list a load of characters that can be used?

Doctor Strange, the Eternals, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Shang Chi, basically characters that have weak ties to the ones used in IoA. But none of Marvel's best characters, like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, etc can be used. Just really really deep cuts that Universal would have never cared to use back in the late 90s, before the MCU.

BlakeW39

In my humble opinion, Marvel is just not a good option. You can't even mention any of Marvel's most popular characters. That really defeats the purpose of a Marvel land, imo. Disney has plenty of other IPs, I'm sure they'll find something else to milk dry.

PaisleyMF

I think Disney does have 2 very strong (maybe 3) bargaining chips with Universal, just not as big as the whole Marvel situation. But here me out, Trade the future film and attraction from Aliens and Predator, the films as produced by Disney released by Universal or the other way around, like Hulk. And all the attractions to Universal as thematically does fit better plus Universal could do way too may cool things. The third one, Rocky Horror Picture Show. But that is just me.

mharrington

What about just Disney (note the lack of an apostrophe-S) Hollywoodland? I couldn't really think of anything else. I just keep hoping that the name would be changed to something that doesn't reflect them actually being called "studios".

In the Parks
Yes
I agree that DHS has a far more cohesive theme now than it did before as the "you in the movies" land, and I'd like to see that trend continue. There's a lot of potential in an Indyland, expanding TSL to Pixarland, Muppetsland, and Yesterdayland (e.g. the Nostalgia Zone.)

I could do without "Marvel's C-Listers that Universal's rights to lapsed land," both because of the rights situation and also because I'm deeply fearful of Marvel Land just turning out to be the same experience I can get at my local Six Flags. (My local Six Flags, for reference, is the much-maligned and generally subpar Six Flags America in Maryland.)

Hey, speaking of Six Flags...

or Universal would have to acquire a property of equal value to Marvel.
DC Comics. (Ding!)

I'm not entirely clear on how the mergers and splits ended up shaking out, but actually, wasn't DC Comics via WarnerMedia briefly under the same corporate umbrella as Universal?

PaisleyMF

I'm not entirely clear on how the mergers and splits ended up shaking out, but actually, wasn't DC Comics via WarnerMedia briefly under the same corporate umbrella as Universal?
WarnerMedia has never been under Universal or the other way around. Universal is part of ComcastNBC and WarnerMedia was part of AT&T, now will be part of Warner Bros. Discovery. Plus the park right for DC and Looney Tunes are under Six Flags.

BlakeW39

WarnerMedia has never been under Universal or the other way around. Universal is part of ComcastNBC and WarnerMedia was part of AT&T, now will be part of Warner Bros. Discovery. Plus the park right for DC and Looney Tunes are under Six Flags.

And what a shame that is. With the rights to Looney Tunes, Universal could finally have its own mascot, in the form of Bugs Bunny to Disney's Mickey Mouse. And with DC, Universal could not only create some stellar attractions and themed lands with potentially an even bigger draw than Potter, but Disney would have a better shot at getting the full rights back to use Marvel in their parks.

Six Flags, on the other hand, seems like a waste of both properties.

In the Parks
Yes
Six Flags, on the other hand, seems like a waste of both properties.
Oh, it absolutely is. Six Flags severely underutilizes the IP.

There's an SEC filing floating around that suggests the license isn't a perpetual one; if that's true, Universal could potentially acquire the rights one day after Six Flags sees them expire. (That same filing suggests that the rights go back to what was then Warner Bros. if Six Flags is ever acquired, which would be a fascinating legal case to hash out - would they then default back to WarnerMedia as the owner of the IP itself, or would the rights to license characters in a theme park go to the theme park division, e.g. what is now Comcast/Universal?)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. No part of what was at that time Time Warner Cable ever actually got acquired by Comcast due to regulators shutting it down. Ignore the above.

Last edited:

cookiee_munster

I can't remember where I read it. But it was something about a possible Doctor Strange overlay of the Tower of Terror at the studios... and I didn't hate it... *goes and hides*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom