Disney Holiday Must-Sees?

rreading

Original Poster
We'll be there with our 6 and 2 year old this christmas for a short trip.

We are DVC members but usually don't have the opportunity to go during Christmas and plan to have more of a holiday trip this time.

We're doing MVMCP, and we're considering visiting the resorts to see the decor rather than doing the parks that AM. The Grand Floridian has the tree and the gingerbread house. I can't imagine the Poly has too much rather than garland and minor decor. AK and WL look to have nice decor, but seem too much trouble to visit apart from dining (we won't have a car). We'll be at the Beach Club, so we'll certainly be looking around those resorts. Any must see resorts or other ideas on the property?

Certainly there is the Candlelight Processional (which we'll prob pass on due to the 2yo) and the Osborn Lights; but while I read that there are Holidays around the World in the World Showcase, what countries participate?

Any other advice?

The resorts are a great idea. beach Club is supposed to have one of the nicer displays. The tree and gingerbread house at GF are gorgeous. I don't know about the Poly.

I wouldn't necessarily skip CP with the 2 y/o. Candlelight processional is wonderful. It's fast paced, it's very entertaining, and it's all music. Worse comes to worse, DC can just take a nap on your lap.

Afterward, catch the holiday version of IllumiNations.

Osbourne is AWESOME. Love it. The kids will enjoy the music and the "snow".

At WS, as far as I can remember ALL countries participate in holidays around the world. At each country, their version on Santa comes out and tells about their local customs, etc and interacts with and takes photos with the kids. It's a lot of fun.

rreading

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it, and I've wanted to to the CP! Just worried that even my 6yo would have troubles.:)

BroganMc

Poly usually has a gingerbread house baking contest. You get to see all the different houses on display on the second floor of the Grand Ceremonial House. Some very interesting little creations. And the chef does his own, as well.

Grand Floridian has the biggest Gingerbread House onsite. It's life-size.

There are giant 5-story tall Christmas trees in the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Pretty much an identical tree as far as size and placement in the central lobby but decorated with a theme based on that resort.

Grand Floridian has a lot of white-themed Victorian decorations. Wilderness Lodge is more country home-spun. Animal Kingdom has a very unique African animal flavored theme to it. People say they like Wildnerness Lodge because the lobby has that big fireplace with the rocking chairs. You feel like you're visiting Grandpa's Country Cabin whereas GF it's like your English Grandmother's mansion.

Contemporary usually has a Gingerbread creation as well in the lobby. As do the Boardwalk and Beach Club. The latter are Americana themed and beach seaside themes. And you can buy your own Gingerbread House creation to take home.

DVC members also get to go to the Merry Mixers parties located just outside the International Gateway on Wednesdays in December.

As far as park highlights go, you hit the highlights: MVMCP, Osborne Lights, Candlelight Processional.

I also like to add a visit to the American Pavilion to catch one of the afternoon concerts from the Voices of Liberty in the Rotunda. They headline at the CP as well, but in the Rotunda their voices really capture the magic of the natural acoustics in there. Plus they are all costumed in Victorian-era styles. Feels like something out of A Christmas Carol.

Last year they also did a Gospel choir concert in EPCOT by the dancing fountain. I'm so-so on that. I much prefer the old Lights of Winter, long since retired by Disney.

Oh yeah, and make sure you stay till the end of Illuminations. They add a special holiday segment to "Let There Be Peace On Earth" at the end.

Only other thing is Animal Kingdom's afternoon parade is rethemed for Christmas.

Have fun! I'll be down the first week of December to get my holiday fill as well.

ssnyder4

Just wanted to add that the Contemporary has a giant wreath on the glass wall closest to MK...it's of course a Mickey wreath and having your kids stand under it for a picture is pretty cool. The day we were there was very foggy so it almost looks like clouds are in the background...pretty magical!

I think that all of the parks have a themed tree out front as well, but if you were going to skip the parks I wouldn't take the kids to the front to see them and then turn around a leave. That would be mean!

And if you make it to HS, there is a cute Christmas shop that has a snowman out front...sort of fun to see anytime of year but especially at Christmas.

Have a great trip...I'm totally jealous!

spear

Holiday Illuminations

When is the first showing of Holiday Illuminations. What what I understand it is the Friday following Thanksgiving. Could you please confirm.
thanks

coachwnh

christmas around the worlds in epcot is awesome. each country has a storyteller that explains how they celebrate christmas. its something our kids enjoy!!! (so do we) Norway is our favorite, but germany, france and mexico are cool too. also, be sure to visit santa and mrs claus in america (santa is in the MK and DTD too)

VDisneyFan18

The Osborne Spectical of Dancing Lights.
the best part of the christmas decorations.

side story. last chrismas we went and it was amazing. 3 weeks after we came back we got a new puppy and named him Osborne after the light show.(i think he is possed though :p)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom