Disney hires San Fran mass-transit exec to run resort transportation

Master Gracey 5

I'd say lets hope this thread doesn't devolve to another "bash Disney transportation" slugfest.

Regardless of recent problems, this should be a good move - they'll have someone at the reins with real experience managing a city's transportation department.

Duckberg

SF Transit MAN @ WDW

Because of the SF budget situation they have been making cuts to the cities bus services. Bet Mr. Lau couldn't wait to get out of town. Is he going to get the WDW system to straighten up :veryconfu Duckberg :cool:

MarkTwain

Does this mean we can finally have that cable car system we've been wanting for so long? :lookaroun

Anyway, sounds like a good choice. Hopefully he can bring some fresh ideas to address some of WDW's transit issues.

TP2000

This past December I went to San Francisco to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. I rode BART (San Francisco subway) and MUNI (Streetcars, but not the famous Cable Cars) both in one day. They were both disgusting forms of transit; dirty and grimy stations and cars, graffiti-covered surfaces everywhere, surly and sloppy looking employees, outdated 1970's upholstery and furnishings, with some very rough looking transients bumming for change at every major station. I didn't dare get on a MUNI city bus, but from the looks of it they were even worse than the streetcars and subway. :mad:

By the end of my first day in San Francisco I had given up on trying to use public transit there, and just started jumping in cabs. I took a cab back to the airport as well.

Let's hope Mr. Lau knows that outside of San Francisco, people expect a basic level of cleanliness and courtesy from common carrier transportation. From what I saw of Mr. Lau's apparent work back in December, it's an odd choice for Disney to make. :confused:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Does this mean we can finally have that cable car system we've been wanting for so long? :lookaroun

Anyway, sounds like a good choice. Hopefully he can bring some fresh ideas to address some of WDW's transit issues.

Red trolley cars in DHS! :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lets give the guy a solid year and see what he does. I hope good things of course.
What have I told you about bringing logic into a thread! We must bash him and explain how he has failed before his moving truck crosses the Florida border.:lol:

DisneyMusician2

There are certainly many factors in SF that simply won't apply in Disney.

I don't know what people expected him to do about Graffiti....the local PD would be a better place to point.

Good luck to him and hopefully things will be successful.

dclfan

This past December I went to San Francisco to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. I rode BART (San Francisco subway) and MUNI (Streetcars, but not the famous Cable Cars) both in one day. They were both disgusting forms of transit; dirty and grimy stations and cars, graffiti-covered surfaces everywhere, surly and sloppy looking employees, outdated 1970's upholstery and furnishings, with some very rough looking transients bumming for change at every major station. I didn't dare get on a MUNI city bus, but from the looks of it they were even worse than the streetcars and subway. :mad:

By the end of my first day in San Francisco I had given up on trying to use public transit there, and just started jumping in cabs. I took a cab back to the airport as well.

Let's hope Mr. Lau knows that outside of San Francisco, people expect a basic level of cleanliness and courtesy from common carrier transportation. From what I saw of Mr. Lau's apparent work back in December, it's an odd choice for Disney to make. :confused:
I am a born and raised New Yorker. I have lived in New York City my whole life and it's sad but this has to be expected when your taking public transportation in a large city. I would look more at whether or not the transportation system operated efficicently and on a strict time schedule than the overall cleanliness of a station. My impression was that he would be in charge of making sure the transportation system ran smoothly. Buses were on time and there were enough present during crowded or peak times not the overall cleanliness of the transportation system. I am always impressed with how clean the transportation is around WDW, coming from NYC I feel they overachieve when it comes to cleanliness as I have come to expect some dirt it comes to transporting such large groups of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom