News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

eliza61nyc

Staycation's will the future for most.
My crystal ball guess is people are going to find a way to do what they want. 😂 Now vacations may look different but as long as planes fly somewhere and greyhound and Amtrack are in business folks will be on them.

It's like Disney EVERY year they raise their prices and every year the prognosticators swear this is the downfall.
If COVID-19 didn't encourage folks to staycation, I doubt this hit from inflation will
Again, they may look different, maybe shorter, maybe not as often but staycaytions have yet to be the norm

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My crystal ball guess is people are going to find a way to do what they want. 😂 Now vacations may look different but as long as planes fly somewhere and greyhound and Amtrack are in business folks will be on them.

It's like Disney EVERY year they raise their prices and every year the prognosticators swear this is the downfall.
If COVID-19 didn't encourage folks to staycation, I doubt this hit from inflation will
Again, they may look different, maybe shorter, maybe not as often but staycaytions have yet to be the norm

Oh, you think these price bumps are because of inflation? That's cute. :) They need PGS numbers to be solid so the stock doesn't continue to soil itself.

Jrb1979

No doubt people will still travel. When I said staycation's I meant more vacations close to home. Instead of Disney visiting their local park. Staying within driving distance for vacation plans.

Mindy55

If a week at WDW and a week in London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, etc. was going to cost roughly the same, there would be no reason for me to ever go to WDW. However, I can drive to Disney in 7-8 hours, so I don't have to buy plane tickets. Even as Disney prices rise it's still nowhere near as expensive for me as international travel.

With that said, I don't go to Disney that often. I've been twice in the past decade and don't have any current plans for another trip. If management doesn't turn around and get the parks headed in the right direction (as opposed to the near constant decline over the past 10-15 years), I may not ever go again.
Amen

Jrb1979

If a week at WDW and a week in London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, etc. was going to cost roughly the same, there would be no reason for me to ever go to WDW. However, I can drive to Disney in 7-8 hours, so I don't have to buy plane tickets. Even as Disney prices rise it's still nowhere near as expensive for me as international travel.

With that said, I don't go to Disney that often. I've been twice in the past decade and don't have any current plans for another trip. If management doesn't turn around and get the parks headed in the right direction (as opposed to the near constant decline over the past 10-15 years), I may not ever go again.
There is always Carowinds.

chriskbrown

I find interesting you now spend 5 for a 20 ounce coke when its half that at the Speedway right outside of Epcot..here in the south its 2 bucks or less; paid 1.60 from a vending machine today

eliza61nyc

No doubt people will still travel. When I said staycation's I meant more vacations close to home. Instead of Disney visiting their local park. Staying within driving distance for vacation plans.
It's funny @Jrb1979 , I really do believe that there is nothing new under the sun. Back in the day that was pretty much the normal. Lol my dad use to rent this big surburban station wagon and we'd hit the road in upstate NY.
Unfortunately the thing didn't have air so we dreaded those family trips down south

eliza61nyc

Oh, you think these price bumps are because of inflation? That's cute. :) They need PGS numbers to be solid so the stock doesn't continue to soil itself.
No I wasn't commenting on the cause. I really could care less about the cause. I was mentioning the misconception that this will some how push folks to stop going or to start vacationing. The poster I quoted said inflation and high cost will cause folks to "staycation".

Basically for the last 9 years every time Disney raises prices we vent about this is the "end" in some form or fashion.

Cesar R M

Does Disney really have to raise prices to pay CM's more? Where did all the money go from the resort parking fees. Where is the money going from discontinued bus service from the airport. Where did the money go from Trams not operating? It's not a money thing Disney just doesn't value boots on the ground staff.
Those gold efigees Don't pay for themselves.

And I imagine that Chapek wanted one of himself in his office as well.

UNCgolf

There is always Carowinds.

There's a Six Flags roughly 30 minutes from my front door! There's nothing there I'm interested in, though.

I have been to Carowinds, although it was probably 30 years ago when I was both still a kid and still living in North Carolina.

Basil of Baker Street

In their most recent earnings calls with investors and analysts, the two bellwether businesses said that they would not raise prices to compensate for higher supply chain-related costs and pre-inventory purchases.

Walmart even went so far as to tell investors that its competitive “price gap” was larger than normal, but that it wouldn’t take advantage of the opportunity to increase prices more than necessary.

So not ALL companies are raising prices and are actually thinking about who the customer is and don't want to lose them
I know a regional manager for the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. During a conversation he said Walmart has been eating the rising costs for the most part but that will be coming to an end soon.

Club Cooloholic

View attachment 613138

Nothing against the Cast Member personally, but I really find this is picture to capture issues with the way things have become expectations wise. Even if the cell phone there is used for work, it is not a good look. Leaning on a celluar device.

Benefit of the doubt again, maybe they are helping a guest with their phone, probably something work related and it is a hard job, but it is wild to capture in a photo prices increasing all at once and leaning over a counter on a cellphone device. As a former CM this is wild to me and is beyond the visual changes or price increases.
I think that photo captures how WDW is not really WDW anymore and certainly not as Walt pictured it. Call me old fashioned but I kind of liked knowing I could go to a park and not expect a drunken lout to start something somewhere like I am at an NFL game. But look at that pic, the booze is more featured than the treats.

JessieLightyear

I rarely comment on here, but with all the discussion of prices vs. portion size, I thought this was relevant. This is the $16.99 lobster roll I got at Columbia Harbor House last month, compared with the image shown on the app.

92ADBC6E-D0D2-4F20-BAF7-5F0E9DC697B0.jpeg
0F2D844A-86F6-4076-8E6F-F0C24A5552A5.jpeg

As my friend put it, I was served a head of lettuce with a little bit of lobster. This used to be one of my favorite things to get in the parks, but needless to say we didn’t go back there during our trip.

I didn’t speak up about it, and realize I probably should have, but i just didn’t feel like fighting that battle. Our trip wasn’t great, for all the reasons discussed on here - cutbacks, price hikes, crowds, merch shortages, Genie+ (which we didn’t buy), etc. We’re DVC and used to be APs, but we have no plans to go back anytime soon.

John park hopper

At least Walmart and Target made an effort to hold the line on price increases can Disney say the same IMO no.
I rarely comment on here, but with all the discussion of prices vs. portion size, I thought this was relevant. This is the $16.99 lobster roll I got at Columbia Harbor House last month, compared with the image shown on the app.

View attachment 613621View attachment 613619
As my friend put it, I was served a head of lettuce with a little bit of lobster. This used to be one of my favorite things to get in the parks, but needless to say we didn’t go back there during our trip.

I didn’t speak up about it, and realize I probably should have, but i just didn’t feel like fighting that battle. Our trip wasn’t great, for all the reasons discussed on here - cutbacks, price hikes, crowds, merch shortages, Genie+ (which we didn’t buy), etc. We’re DVC and used to be APs, but we have no plans to go back anytime soon.
That is pathetic for $16.99 clearly false advertising -- Oh just remember your paying for the experience ---of being screwed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom